Technological Unemployment News & Discussions

Tadasuke

the effect of work on happiness and future automation

Post by Tadasuke »

I remember how my female friend became visibly and obviously less happy after she starting working. That was not only my observation. It was like seeing joy sucked out of her. But the work needs to be done and this isn't the case for everyone. From what I see, automation isn't moving very quickly, especially in physical jobs. The direction is obvious and clear, but the speed isn't very satisfactory in my opinion.

Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Cyber_Rebel

Re: Technological Unemployment News & Discussions

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

CEOs get closer to finally saying it — AI will wipe out more jobs than they can count

(Business Insider)
What's it like to be told that you're not just out of a job, but that your bosses think your job can be done by AI? Tech workers are about to find out.

On Monday, per a report by Bloomberg, it emerged that IBM is preparing to pause hiring on roles that it believed could be better performed by AI. That leaves 7,800 jobs at the tech giant vulnerable to being eradicated for good.

Since the release of ChatGPT, tech CEOs have been racing to decide if the generative AI technology underlying the buzzy chatbot is more than a gimmick and can deliver on its promises to change the very fundamental ways in which their businesses operate.

Earnings calls from tech firms such as Meta, Alphabet, and Microsoft have been littered with references to AI, with the verdict on the technology from leaders becoming more apparent than ever: AI can and will make jobs extinct.

I'm thinking this is the decade which will challenge the idea of Capitalism the most, from the pandemic which revealed serious cracks in the system, and now to A.I. poised to drastically alter it in some measure.
Powers

Post by Powers »

Cyber_Rebel wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:11 pm I'm thinking this is the decade which will challenge the idea of Capitalism the most, from the pandemic which revealed serious cracks in the system, and now to A.I. poised to drastically alter it in some measure.
Not sure if challenge but definitely change it.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

I am thinking that the United States can weather the coming storm pretty well but only if they continue:
  • Protectionist/neo-mercantilist efforts to reinvigorate the manufacturing sector.
  • Spending funds on space exploration
  • High levels of military spending
  • Health and welfare measures such as Medicare, Medicaid, environmental infrastructure improvements, etc
  • Measures to minimize climate change and adapt to climate change that can no longer be avoided
High levels of military spending could be easily reduced if China and Russia took less belligerent positions on issues related to Eastern Europe, the Ukraine, and the South China Sea. All of these measures combined would generate a potentially increasing level of demand that could offset even dramatic losses in employment due to "technological unemployment." Of course, some of these measures may not be good for the rest of the planet. Protectionist/neo-mercantilist measures would impact foreign countries dependent upon exports to boost their economic position in the world. This would magnify the impact of technological unemployment. Military spending might heighten tensions and result in pursuit of an overly aggressive foreign policy.

Am I missing something?
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

caltrek wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:50 pm Am I missing something?
Universal Basic Income or a Standard Basic Living Package (enough basic needs for a person to live on)

I'd go a step further with the second and include free access to Chat GPT-4 and all higher iterations for giving people displaced by A.I. the ability to still utilize it in their daily lives if need be. Should the personal home robots these companies seek to bring to market become available by then, it should be included as standard as well.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

An Entire Generation is Studying for Jobs that Won’t Exist

AI is taking over a lot of jobs, now it is coming for the writers who wrote about “machines taking over the world.”

Published on May 4, 2023

Mark Cuban, the famous American businessman, said this in 2017 – ““Artificial Intelligence, deep learning, machine learning — whatever you’re doing if you don’t understand it — learn it. Because otherwise you’re going to be a dinosaur within 3 years.”

Cuban is back with another prediction. The highest paying college major in the world, computer science, will hold very little value for employers in the future. Why? Because of AI. “Twenty years from now, if you are a coder, you might be out of a job,” Cuban said in an interview on the Recode Decode podcast with Kara Swisher. “Because it’s just math, and so, whatever we’re defining the AI to do, someone’s got to know the topic.”

There is no doubt that what he predicted back in 2017 is increasingly coming true. The increasing capabilities of AI are definitely making a lot of jobs obsolete, not just the ones that require coding.

On Monday, in an interesting turn of events, Hollywood’s film and several TV writers from the Writers Guild of America (WGA) commenced a protest with the disagreement over AI getting involved for writing scripts, essentially to limit the use of AI in writing scripts. Interesting to see how the writers who have been writing about “machines taking over the world” all these years, are the ones who are getting affected now. We don’t know who planted the idea first.

https://analyticsindiamag.com/an-entire ... ont-exist/

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

raklian

Post by raklian »

wjfox wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:07 am An Entire Generation is Studying for Jobs that Won’t Exist

AI is taking over a lot of jobs, now it is coming for the writers who wrote about “machines taking over the world.”

https://analyticsindiamag.com/an-entire ... ont-exist/

8-) :?

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

A.i Will force society to adopt a basic income for the masses and if the republicans choose to not then we'll probably have a civil war or break up. Work will become a choice and something you do for personal advancement beyond the basics.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

weatheriscool wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:12 pm A.i Will force society to adopt a basic income for the masses and if the republicans choose to not then we'll probably have a civil war or break up. Work will become a choice and something you do for personal advancement beyond the basics.
Oh boy. Lemme guess the ones who are wealthy or become wealthy have the choice of having brain computer interfaces installed if there has not been something high quality created that can be an option to not have those. After all most of the establishment here in the USA in your local areas are afraid of their own shadow so that is why the police reflected such behavior before 2020. So yeah the whole coralling of people and everything digitally can go right back to even local areas for USA example.