Technological Unemployment News & Discussions

wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Technological Unemployment News & Discussions

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 pm I'm personally not impressed with ChatGPT.

Which version are you using? Because GPT-4 is, objectively, a major leap over 3.5.

Personally I've found it to be incredibly useful. It's helping me to build an entire new website from scratch, generating vast volumes of code in jQuery, PHP, and SQL, most of which I don't even fully understand, and would probably have taken at least 3-5 years to learn before. It even checks for sanitisation/security issues. This new website, if all goes according to plan, could provide me with enough income to work on it (plus FT/PT) full-time.

And then there's all the useful info and creative ideas I've gathered from ChatGPT without needing to Google stuff. No need to hunt around endlessly on the Internet when it can just provide the answers in a concise and insightful format within seconds. It doesn't get it right 100% of the time, of course, and I occasionally have to double check, but it's right enough of the time to be an objective improvement for my work/research and can be a huge timesaver when used correctly.

Maybe you just aren't entering the right prompts?

I would strongly encourage you to read this thread, by the way.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Whatever, this is not what I wanted.

I feel better not using the Internet at all to be honest. It used to bring me lots of joy .... back in the 2000s: playing on-line, watching WoW machinimas, downloading entire DB+DBZ torrents, buying/selling stuff I care about, checking useful game information, browsing some E-Shuushuu (created in 2005) or Wikipedia (created in 2001) once in a while. Not much joy these days. It usually just brings sadness, anxiety and total demotivation.

The Internet is a horrible place in my eyes. Almost as horrible as the real world. After I spend some time on the Internet, I lose any will to do anything.

And it doesn't answer any questions really. 1/3 thinks nothing will change, 1/3 thinks robots will take all the jobs and 1/3 thinks aging population will lead to collapse because of not enough workers... :?
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
raklian

Post by raklian »

Tadasuke wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:05 am Whatever, this is not what I wanted.

I feel better not using the Internet at all to be honest. It used to bring me lots of joy .... back in the 2000s: playing on-line, watching WoW machinimas, downloading entire DB+DBZ torrents, buying/selling stuff I care about, checking useful game information, browsing some E-Shuushuu (created in 2005) or Wikipedia (created in 2001) once in a while. Not much joy these days. It usually just brings sadness, anxiety and total demotivation.

The Internet is a horrible place in my eyes. Almost as horrible as the real world. After I spend some time on the Internet, I lose any will to do anything.

And it doesn't answer any questions really. 1/3 thinks nothing will change, 1/3 thinks robots will take all the jobs and 1/3 thinks aging population will lead to collapse because of not enough workers... :?
Have you considered that perhaps your current state of mind was your choice to have? If it feels awful, why not change how you feel about the same set of information you have? It's amazing how much influence conscious choice has on your emotional responses to external stimuli.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

He may be correct to an extend with this prediction. Time will tell. "Living well" doesn't mean the same to everyone though.

Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

raklian wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:11 pm

Have you considered that perhaps your current state of mind was your choice to have? If it feels awful, why not change how you feel about the same set of information you have? It's amazing how much influence conscious choice has on your emotional responses to external stimuli.
It's not as easy as you're making it (can't just will myself out of depression), but one can at least change what they view on the internet
raklian

Post by raklian »

firestar464 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:29 pm
raklian wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:11 pm

It's not as easy as you're making it (can't just will myself out of depression), but one can at least change what they view on the internet
I'm talking about reflexively diving into negative thinking due to reinforced conditioning. You can have depression and still adopt positive thinking. It's certainly doable cuz I'm doing it myself with good results, if I say so myself. If you have major depression which requires a medical intervention, that's a different story, though.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

One of the choices is to still think that the current situation is terrible and people are stupid and misguided, but choose to be a better person than some people are. Deriving pleasure from the satisfaction of doing the right thing or at least better than some others.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

raklian

Post by raklian »

raklian

Post by raklian »

An oldie but a goodie.

Cutting the Gordian Knot of Technological Unemployment with Unconditional Basic Income

Scott Santens
25 MAY 2017 — 16 MIN READ

In the opening of the film 2001: A Space Odyssey, viewers are shown a historic moment in time where primitive man used the first tool. It was a bone, and used like a club, it allowed a physically weaker group to overpower a physically stronger group. The story is of course fictional, but at some point in time we as humans did use our first tool, and ever since that day, directly because of our tool usage, we as a species have been able to accomplish increasingly more with increasingly less. Buckminster Fuller referred to this process as “ephemeralization.” The theoretical endpoint of this process exists as an asymptote that we can only approach but never reach, where we gain the ability to accomplish everything with nothing. This should sound great. It is. But there’s a catch. There’s always a catch.

The catch is of our own making. The catch, and it’s a big one, is two-fold. First, we require the exchange of money for the basic necessities of life like food and shelter. And second, we require the exchange of work in order to obtain money. The result of this pairing is that we systematically require the exchange of work to stay alive. So as long as everyone can exchange their labor for income, moral issues of involuntary servitude aside, everyone can then theoretically survive in a system where private property is established and enforced. However, tool use throws an unavoidable wrench into this system.

That wrench is technological unemployment.
https://www.scottsantens.com/cutting-th ... ncome-ubi/