Technological Unemployment News & Discussions

Tadasuke

how automation really works and how it will help us

Post by Tadasuke »

As projects get more ambitious, more work needs to be done.

(20× bigger project / 10× greater productivity) = twice as many people/workers/employees/freelancers needed

That's how it usually works. There are many examples and many proofs of that. Don't get too worried.

Artificial light gets cheaper? There are more lights and more light colours and hues.
Automobiles get more affordable and efficient? There are more automobiles and more "auto-miles" travelled.
Software gets better/easier? Software gets (exponentially) larger and used on a wider scale.
Artists can do their stuff quicker and easier? Higher quality art, more art, less waiting, potentially less back-breaking work.

How about i.e. super high quality long serialized animations in 2160p 120fps, which need only modestly sized teams to finish on time? Win-win! 🙂

Or huuge VR worlds with lots of stuff to do and lots of super high quality assets? Wouldn't that be awesome? 😃

Instead of paying $200-300 for a single good digital painting, we could pay $200-300 for 30 great paintings or even a 20-minute long very sophisticated animation! (⁠.⁠ ⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)

Many (not only) mobile games for example, suffer from a very low number of sprite or 3D models animations (between 3 and 8). Or they even feature only static images. In Age of Empires II Definitive Edition there are only a very small numbers of digital sprites (2D representations of high-quality 3D models). Imagine 20 different house (or other building) sprites for 30 different civilisations per "age"!! 😏 Imagine multiple versions of the same unit, so they don't look like copies!

U.S. productivity isn't rising quickly at the moment. So called developed nations GDP isn't rising quickly at the moment (anywhere from 0% to 2%). 🤨 It could certainly much improve! 😌

Btw, think about all the old games remasters and remakes that AI could help make in a very reasonable time for a reasonable cost... 😁

Or imagine much cheaper, much more available healthcare thanks to AI and robots!! Doctors would still work. They just wouldn't be so tired and overworked! 👍🏻👏🏻
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Technological Unemployment News & Discussions

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke

about unemployment among programmers and AI

Post by Tadasuke »

I talked with ChatGPT multiple times and it's not that smart to be honest. I don't think there won't be human programmers in 5 years. Although employment numbers in programming might go down slightly, because there are a lot of them at the moment.

Some parents and spouses are convincing others to learn programming as that will be a great career. 🤔 We'll see... I guess it's better to know programming than not know programming. So far, future predictions about AI have been usually too optimistic.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

We are accelerating, however, and it's worth noting that Gemini 1.5 has shown better programming abilities than GPT-4 Turbo
raklian

Re: about unemployment among programmers and AI

Post by raklian »

Tadasuke wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:11 pm I talked with ChatGPT multiple times and it's not that smart to be honest. I don't think there won't be human programmers in 5 years. Although employment numbers in programming might go down slightly, because there are a lot of them at the moment.

Some parents and spouses are convincing others to learn programming as that will be a great career. 🤔 We'll see... I guess it's better to know programming than not know programming. So far, future predictions about AI have been usually too optimistic.
I wouldn't try discounting the exponential progression of technological advancements that give us unexpected outcomes.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: about unemployment among programmers and AI

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:11 pm I talked with ChatGPT multiple times and it's not that smart to be honest.
Maybe you're just bad at prompts? And I ask... yet again: have you used GPT-4? It's a huge improvement over the free version.

For those of us that know how to use it properly, ChatGPT is a godsend. It's allowing me to build an entire new website from scratch – churning out thousands of lines of fully-functional PHP, SQL, and jQuery (languages I only have a basic understanding of). This new website is packed with dynamic features and layouts I was never able to use before, all thanks to GPT-4 and its expert-level coding.

My father is using GPT-4 to write an entire new historical book in the style of Shakespeare.

I'm starting to get the impression you're just trolling.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

He has said that GPT-4 hasn't improved his life, but I'm not sure if he's used it per se
Powers

Post by Powers »

firestar464 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:45 pm He has said that GPT-4 hasn't improved his life, but I'm not sure if he's used it per se
I think he didn't use Turbo (is that still a thing?). Me neither and it was good but the questions limit turned it meh.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

IDK research for stuff has gotten easier thanks to Copilot for me
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

I'm glad that some of you are pleased with AI's results. I remain skeptical... for now.