LGBT+ News and Discussions

weatheriscool

Re: LGBT+ News and Discussions

Post by weatheriscool »

Alabama bans all transgender medical treatment for kids…
https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/n ... n-alabama/
Posted by Kane on May 10, 2022 1:39 am

NEWS JUNKIES -- CHECK OUT OUR HOMEPAGE

It’s now illegal to provide radical healthcare for transgender youth in Alabama after a federal judge failed to rule on a motion Friday that could have temporary halted the law from going into effect.

As of Sunday, the new law makes it a felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, for medical providers to give puberty blockers or hormones to those under the age of 19.

This enforcement is a first for a state. The Arkansas Legislature passed a similar measure last year but a federal judge blocked it from going into effect while a lawsuit challenging the prohibition plays out.
Banning sterilization of children is the right thing to do
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Post originally made here was moved to Society and Demographics News and Discussion thread.

Edit: Replaced with this:

Texas Judge Blocks State from Investigating Parents of Trans Kids
by Kirk McDaniel
June 10, 2022

Introduction:
AUSTIN, Texas (Courthouse News) — A Texas judge on Friday temporarily blocked the state child welfare agency from investigating three families who provide gender-affirming care to their transgender children for child abuse. The order also protects all members of a nationwide organization that provides support for families of LGBT youth.

Ruling from the bench, Travis Country District Court Judge Jan Soifer issued a temporary restraining order against the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. The order comes days after three families and the organization PFLAG filed an 80-page lawsuit against Republican Governor Greg Abbott, DFPS and the department’s commissioner, Jamie Masters. The plaintiffs are seeking a permanent injunction barring DFPS from conducting any further investigations.

The three families who filed the lawsuit have minor children who have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria and are receiving gender-affirming care. Adam and Amber Briggle are one set of parents who sued and are the first to be publicly named in a lawsuit against the state.
Along with the families, over 600 members of PFLAG also were granted protection from being investigated by the state. As an organization, PFLAG advocates on behalf of LGBTQ people and their families. It is a nationwide organization with 17 chapters in the state of Texas alone.

Abbott, a Republican who is currently running for reelection, has argued that gender-affirming care such as puberty blockers and surgeries constitutes child abuse. This claim was supported by Republican Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, who is also running for reelection this fall.
Read more here: https://www.courthousenews.com/texas-j ... ans-kids/
Last edited by caltrek on Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Indiana lawmakers enact trans sports ban with veto override
Source: AP
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Republican lawmakers in Indiana voted Tuesday to override the GOP governor’s veto of a bill banning transgender females from competing in girls school sports and join about more than a dozen other states adopting similar laws in the past two years.State senators voted 32-15 in favor of overriding Gov. Eric Holcomb following the same action in a 67-28 vote by the House earlier in the day.

Holcomb had said in his veto message that bill did not provide a consistent policy for what he called “fairness in K-12 sports” when he unexpectedly vetoed it in March. The override votes were nearly party line and no lawmakers changed their votes from earlier this year. Four Republican senators joined all Democratic senators in voting to uphold the veto. In the House, three Republicans voted to sustain the veto, while one Democrat supported overriding it.

Opponents have argued the bill is a bigoted response to a problem that doesn’t exist. The American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana filed a lawsuit minutes following the override in hopes of blocking the law from taking effect as scheduled on July 1. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of a 10-year-old girl who plays on her school’s all-girls softball team in Indianapolis. The new law would deny the fourth-grader the right to rejoin her team because she is a transgender girl, which is a violation of Title IX and the U.S. Constitution, according to the complaint.

Republican sponsors of the bill maintain it is needed to protect the integrity of female sports and opportunities for girls to gain college athletic scholarships but have pointed out no instances in the state of girls being outperformed by transgender athletes. “(This measure) does not solve an issue. It does not bring people together. It does not benefit our state in any way,” Democratic Sen. J.D. Ford of Indianapolis said shortly before the Senate vote. “Why do you press upon the government to solve this issue, which there is no issue?”
Read more: https://apnews.com/article/sports-india ... fa4e2e260b
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Olympic champion Dame Kelly Holmes announces she is gay - and kept it hidden for 34 years
Dame Kelly Holmes has announced she is gay, and says she has hidden it for 34 years.

Speaking during Pride month, the two-time gold medallist said she realised she was gay at the age of 17 after kissing a fellow female soldier, and that her family and friends have known since 1997.

The Olympic champion told the Sunday Mirror: "I needed to do this now, for me. It was my decision. I'm nervous about saying it. I feel like I'm going to explode with excitement.

"Sometimes I cry with relief. The moment this comes out, I'm essentially getting rid of that fear."

The 52-year-old also revealed she struggled with her mental health because of having to hide her sexuality, and that she had to keep several same-sex relationships she had during her time in the Women's Royal Army Corps secret, for fear of being courts marshalled.

Until 2000, it was illegal for gay, lesbian and bisexual people to serve in the British Army, Royal Navy and RAF - and Dame Kelly feared she would still face repercussions for breaking that law during her time in the forces.
https://news.sky.com/story/olympic-cham ... s-12636524
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

FINA votes to effectively ban transgender swimmers in elite women's competition - and create 'open' category
Sunday 19 June 2022

Swimming's world governing body has voted to effectively ban transgender athletes from competing in women's elite races.

FINA will explore establishing an "open" category for them in some events as part of its new policy.

The new policy was passed with a roughly 71% majority after it was put to the members of 152 national federations with voting rights who had gathered for the congress at the Puskas Arena.

It will require transgender competitors to have completed their transition by the age of 12 in order to be able to compete in women's competitions.

A statement from FINA said that male-to-female transgender athletes will be eligible to compete only if "they can establish to FINA's comfortable satisfaction that they have not experienced any part of male puberty beyond Tanner Stage 2 (of puberty) or before age 12, whichever is later".
https://news.sky.com/story/fina-votes-t ... y-12636874
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

^^^This is a tough issue, but I think maybe the "open" category is the best solution. Of course, in a way it is calculated to satisfy no one. Tansgender folk are likely to take offense at being forced into another category. Still, is it really fair that they compete against women who do not have the biological advantages of being male in their early years?
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Japan court says ban on same-sex marriage constitutional
Source: AP

By MARI YAMAGUCHI
TOKYO (AP) — A Japanese court ruled Monday that the country’s ban on same-sex marriage does not violate the constitution, and rejected demands for compensation by three couples who said their right to free union and equality has been violated.

The Osaka District Court ruling is the second decision on the issue, and disagrees with a ruling last year by a Sapporo court that found the ban on same-sex marriages unconstitutional. It underscores how divisive the issue remains in Japan, the only member of the Group of Seven major industrialized nations that does not recognize same-sex unions.

In its ruling, the Osaka court rejected the plaintiffs’ demand for 1 million yen ($7,400) in damages per couple for discrimination they face.

The plaintiffs — two male couples and one female couple — were among 14 same-sex couples who filed lawsuits against the government in five major cities — Sapporo, Tokyo, Nagoya, Fukuoka and Osaka — in 2019 for violating rights to free union and equality.
Read more: https://apnews.com/article/japan-osaka- ... 48a6b75dd8
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Getting back to an "open" category in sports, that could really result in some fun competitions. Aging men no longer at the top of their game might decide to try their luck in the open competitions, while younger women might, in its initial stages, see it as a field with less real competition and therefore a greater chance of winning prize money. It would also be a way of accommodating transgender athletes, although perhaps not to their complete satisfaction.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

Has anybody noticed the increase in anti-LGBT rhetoric online in the US? I've been noticing it. It seems like as soon as Roe vs Wade was overturned, or shortly after that, the political strategy of conservative groups shifted. It just seems like the violent rhetoric is much more common now (aka, deserving to be lined up and shot in the head, or deserving to suffer in one way, shape, form, or another). I always knew LGBT activist culture was pushing people too hard too fast, as humans don't adapt to change very well, and I always knew elements of this nature existed, but I am unsure yet how far this rhetoric will be taken. I also predict that the court will push marriage for LGBT people back to the states, maybe go even as far as pushing making it illegal to be LGBT unless one is a "normal" gender and not sexually active back to the states as well, but after that, I don't know. It has been a lot on my mind lately, to be honest. I think my strategy for survival in such a culture (whether it becomes reality for most states or not), is to escape, if not escape then hide/blend, and if not hide/blend then fight but only what is reasonable force met with force (and know when to let go of your life and just lay down too). Also, retreating from the public eye is a good strategy. You can't get in trouble when you aren't seen or people aren't aware of you much. That's how I survived the other places I've lived in my life, and I know I could do it again. Ironically, I remember having to do that as a Christian in an Islamic country too, even before my current identity. That's actually how I came to realize how little American Christians actually know about persecution, even though they are always complaining about it. When you are truly being persecuted, you have little energy or visibility to complain about it, except among peers. That's also why a lot of LGBT protests in the US that are the most vocal are usually in liberal states because a lot of the LGBT in conservative states are just trying to survive day to day.

One of the most compassionate people towards me, when I left my former religion, was not my family, or my religious leaders. It was the woman who I befriended that had been beaten mercilessly and was at risk of being sent to a reconversion camp by her Islamic family for her belief in Christianity. The one who had lost everything to follow a different belief system. Sometimes, it is people like that who understand what true compassion really means and live out their beliefs better than their peers because they sacrificed everything to follow their path. To this day, I really believe I felt an understanding there between us, that I couldn't put into words with anyone else. It's because she knew what it was like to sacrifice everything to follow a new path that is wholly alien to the culture surrounding you. Also forgot to add, that she was the only person that actually ever asked in my life if anyone was mistreating me. Nobody else ever asked me that question or showed that kind of concern.
Last edited by SerethiaFalcon on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

SerethiaFalcon wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:59 am Has anybody noticed the increase in anti-LGBT rhetoric online in the US? I've been noticing it. It seems like as soon as Roe vs Wade was overturned, or shortly after that, the political strategy of conservative groups shifted. It just seems like the violent rhetoric is much more common now (aka, deserving to be lined up and shot in the head, or deserving to suffer in one way, shape, form, or another). I always knew LGBT activist culture was pushing people too hard too fast, as humans don't adapt to change very well, and I always knew elements of this nature existed, but I am unsure yet how far this rhetoric will be taken. I also predict that the court will push marriage for LGBT people back to the states, maybe go even as far as pushing making it illegal to be LGBT unless one is a "normal" gender and not sexually active back to the states as well, but after that, I don't know. It has been a lot on my mind lately, to be honest. I think my strategy for survival in such a culture (whether it becomes reality for most states or not), is to escape, if not escape then hide/blend, and if not hide/blend then fight but only what is reasonable force met with force (and know when to let go of your life and just lay down too). Also, retreating from the public eye is a good strategy. You can't get in trouble when you aren't seen or people aren't aware of you much. That's how I survived the other places I've lived in my life, and I know I could do it again. Ironically, I remember having to do that as a Christian in an Islamic country too, even before my current identity. That's actually how I came to realize how little American Christians actually know about persecution, even though they are always complaining about it. When you are truly being persecuted, you have little energy or visibility to complain about it, except among peers. That's also why a lot of LGBT protests in the US that are the most vocal are usually in liberal states because a lot of the LGBT in conservative states are just trying to survive day to day.

One of the most compassionate people towards me, when I left my former religion, was not my family, or my religious leaders. It was the woman who I befriended that had been beaten mercilessly and was at risk of being sent to a reconversion camp by her Islamic family for her belief in Christianity. The one who had lost everything to follow a different belief system. Sometimes, it is people like that who understand what true compassion really means and live out their beliefs better than their peers because they sacrificed everything to follow their path. To this day, I really believe I felt an understanding there between us, that I couldn't put into words with anyone else. It's because she knew what it was like to sacrifice everything to follow a new path that is wholly alien to the culture surrounding you.
The only way you can do that is to vote all the republicans from the majority of the states in the country.

-H.G Wells.