Ozzie guy

LGBT+ News and Discussions

Post by Ozzie guy »

Time_Traveller

Re: LGBT+ News and Discussions

Post by Time_Traveller »

Truss ‘increasingly sidelined’ LGBT+ advisory panel before scrapping it
21 May 2021

Former members of the government’s disbanded LGBT+ advisory panel have told MPs of their disappointment at the attitudes and public statements of equalities secretary Liz Truss and minister Kemi Badenoch since they took up their posts.

Parliament’s Women and Equalities Committee heard on Wednesday that things “went downhill tremendously” from September 2019, when Truss replaced Amber Rudd as equalities secretary.

MPs heard plaudits for officials in the Government Equalities Office. But they were also told that the LGBT team at the GEO was “greatly diminished” and that the budget it was originally allocated had “disappeared”.

Panel member Jayne Ozanne resigned from her role in March in protest at what she described as the “hostile environment” being created for the LGBT+ community by the government. She said Truss and Badenoch had “become known as the ministers for inequality”. Truss disbanded the panel last month after two further resignations.
https://www.civilserviceworld.com/news/ ... rapping-it
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

DeSantis signs transgender sports ban on first day of LGBTQ Pride Month
By Steven Lemongello
Orlando Sentinel |
Jun 01, 2021 at 2:36 PM

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed into law a ban on transgender girls from competing in girls’ and women’s sports at an event at a Christian school on the first day of Pride Month, which celebrates the LGBTQ community.

“We believe in the state of Florida protecting the fairness and integrity of women’s athletics,” said DeSantis, who was on stage Tuesday with several teenage girl athletes at the Trinity Christian Academy in Jacksonville. “... I can tell you that in Florida, girls are going to play girls’ sports and boys are going to play boys’ sports.”

Advocates say the law prevents an unfair advantage in competitions, but critics slam it as being discriminatory and unnecessary.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politic ... story.html
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I don't like that a large element of pride month seems to be companies that don't care about LGBT people trying to make a quick buck by pandering to LGBT people in a fake and weird way.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

9 in 10 Australian LGBTQ+ students say they hear homophobic language at school, and 1 in 3 hear it almost every day.

https://theconversation.com/9-in-10-lgb ... day-160356
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Introducing ‘their worship’, the world’s first non-binary mayor
Sun 13 Jun 2021

When Owen Hurcum, a part-time archaeology master’s student at Bangor University, climbed to the stage to accept their position as the newly appointed mayor of Bangor, they felt “hugely humbled” to represent their community.

What is even more unique about Hurcum, 23, is who they are: non-binary, queer and agender. They made history in this year’s local and mayoral election by becoming the first openly non-binary mayor of any city in the world.

“It wasn’t as much a shock or surprise to become mayor of Bangor,” explains Hurcum, “but it was when they asked me to put my name forward for deputy mayor back in 2019. I wasn’t expecting that. I was very honoured that they asked me to put my candidacy forward. They didn’t put anyone up against me, so I got appointed unopposed.”
Advertisement

Hurcum is originally from Harrow in London and moved to Bangor five years ago, but said they “didn’t feel safe” growing up in London. “I could never be myself in London, I knew I was LGBT when I was about 12. And I desperately hid it from everyone, like my family, and my friends, and the community. I didn’t feel safe, or feel comfortable being ‘out’ in London. It was only when I came to Bangor that I became comfortable in being out.

“Growing up, there was little or no representation of non-binary people. I knew I wasn’t transgender in terms of being a woman – I thought I was just super queer.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... nary-mayor
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Hungary Lawmakers Pass Law Barring LGBT Content For Minors
June 15, 2021

BUDAPEST — Lawmakers in Hungary passed legislation Tuesday that prohibits sharing with minors any content that portrays being gay or transgender, something supporters said would help fight pedophilia but which human rights groups denounced as anti-LGBT discrimination.

The conservative ruling party of Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban introduced the legislation, which is the latest effort to curtail the rights of gay men, lesbians, bisexual and transgender people in the central European nation.

Hungary's National Assembly passed the bill on a 157-1 vote. The ruling Fidesz party has a parliamentary majority, and lawmakers from the right-wing Jobbik party also endorsed the measure. One independent lawmaker voted against it.

All other opposition parties boycotted the voting session in protest. Human rights groups had denounced the measure strongly, seeing it as a tool that could be used to stigmatize and harass residents because of their sexual orientations and gender identities.

Some human rights officials have compared it to the so-called gay "propaganda" law passed by Russia in 2013 which human rights officials say has become a tool to harass sexual minorities.
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/15/10066620 ... for-minors

-H.G Wells.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Religious freedom vs. LGBTQ rights: Supreme Court sides with Catholic foster care agency
Source: USA Today
WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court ruled that a Catholic foster care agency in Philadelphia may turn away gay and lesbian couples as clients, a major victory for conservatives with the potential to shift the balance between LGBTQ rights and the First Amendment's protection of religious exercise.

In one of the most significant cases before a Supreme Court that has shifted to the right in recent years, the justices handed down the most high profile defeat to LGBTQ rights advocates since a 2018 decision absolved a Colorado baker of discrimination for refusing to create a custom wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

The catholic agency "seeks only an accommodation that will allow it to continue serving the children of Philadelphia in a manner consistent with its religious beliefs; it does not seek to impose those beliefs on anyone else," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for a unanimous court. "The refusal of Philadelphia to contract with CSS for the provision of foster care services unless it agrees to certify same-sex couples as foster parents cannot survive strict scrutiny, and violates the First Amendment."

Catholic Social Services said its religious views keep it from screening same-sex couples as foster parents. The agency, with a long history of placing foster children, said it shouldn’t be blocked from its work because of those views. Philadelphia countered that all foster care agencies are required to not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.
Read more: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 4155263001

Everyone should have rights so I agree with the ruling.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

Baker fined for refusing to make transgender transition cake
Source: CBS News/AP

JUNE 17, 2021 / 7:38 AM / AP

Denver — A Colorado baker who won a partial victory at the U.S. Supreme Court in 2018 for refusing to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple violated the state's anti-discrimination law by refusing to make a birthday cake for a transgender woman, a state judge has ruled.

In Tuesday's ruling, Denver District Judge A. Bruce Jones said Autumn Scardina was denied a cake that was blue on the outside and pink on the inside to celebrate her gender transition on her birthday because of her transgender status in violation of the law. While Jack Phillips said he could not make the cake because of its message, Jones said the case was about a refusal to sell a product, not compelled speech.

He pointed out that Phillips testified during a trial in March that he did not think someone could change their gender and he would not celebrate "somebody who thinks that they can."

"The anti-discrimination laws are intended to ensure that members of our society who have historically been treated unfairly, who have been deprived of even the every-day right to access businesses to buy products, are no longer treated as 'others,' " Jones wrote.
Read more: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado-b ... tion-cake/

A think everyone should have a right to do what they believe is right. To force people to do otherwise is fascism.