Society & Demographics News and Discussions

caltrek

Re: Society & Demographics News and Discussions

Post by caltrek »

"Silver Tsunami": Record Number of Americans Set to Turn 65 this Year
February 19, 2024

Introduction:
(Axios) A record number of Americans will turn 65 this year — about 4.1 million — the Wall Street Journal reports from an analysis by Jason Fichtner, chief economist at the Bipartisan Policy Center.

Why it matters: The surge of 65-year-old Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964) will continue through 2027. AARP calls it a "silver tsunami."

Reality check: "Today's 65-year-olds are redefining a milestone long associated with retirement parties and the end of productive years," the Journal notes.

• "They are wealthier and by many measures, healthier, and expected to live another 20 years."

• "I'm not tired, I'm healthy and I enjoy my job," Kathy Wheeler, who turns 65 this year, told AARP.
Read more here: https://www.axios.com/2024/02/19/us-ba ... -65-2024
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

People: "automation will displace everything!!!! think of the human workers!"

SK: bold of y'all to assume we have them
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

More than a billion people obese worldwide, research suggests

9 hours ago

More than a billion people are living with obesity around the world, global estimates published in The Lancet show.

This includes about 880 million adults and 159 million children, according to 2022 data.

The highest rates are in Tonga and American Samoa for women and American Samoa and Nauru for men, with some 70-80% of adults living with obesity.

Out of some 190 countries, the UK ranks 55th highest for men and 87th for women.

The international team of scientists say there is an urgent need for major changes in how obesity is tackled.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68436642

Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

wjfox wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:04 pm More than a billion people obese worldwide, research suggests
It's a clear evidence there is something very wrong with current day human minds (and bodies as well, because we don't really need to accumulate so much in our bodies). I really hope this will be going down, no up, in the coming years and decades... :?
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

Tadasuke wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:18 pm
wjfox wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:04 pm More than a billion people obese worldwide, research suggests
It's a clear evidence there is something very wrong with current day human minds (and bodies as well, because we don't really need to accumulate so much in our bodies). I really hope this will be going down, no up, in the coming years and decades... :?
bad food basically
Tadasuke

my predictions regarding dealing with poor health in the future

Post by Tadasuke »

My predictions:
🔜 zero deaths from hunger by 2037 (worldwide)
🔜 zero deaths from transmitable diseases + considerable, non-trivial healthy life extension by 2048
🔜 zero deaths from bad diets and zero obesity by 2065 (worldwide)
🔜 zero deaths from genetic problems by 2094
🔜 zero deaths by cancer by 2099
🔜 humans no longer have any negative consequences of aging (no wearing out whatsoever) by 2104
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »