Electric Vehicles News & Discussions

Yuli Ban

Re: Electric Vehicles News & Discussions

Post by Yuli Ban »

raklian wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:10 pm
weatheriscool wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:28 am 41 Percent of Those Planning to Buy a Car May Go Electric, Study Finds
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/325 ... tudy-finds
By Adrianna Nine on July 23, 2021 at 2:01 pm
I already have a Tesla car. My wife is getting a Tesla as well. Thinking about buying a Tesla for my coming of age eldest when he starts driving. :)

Just doing the moral thing - moving the world away from use of fossil fuels.
How much did it cost, if I may ask?
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Post by raklian »

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:47 pm
raklian wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:10 pm
I already have a Tesla car. My wife is getting a Tesla as well. Thinking about buying a Tesla for my coming of age eldest when he starts driving. :)

Just doing the moral thing - moving the world away from use of fossil fuels.
How much did it cost, if I may ask?
I paid nearly $120,000 (including tax) in cash for the Model S Long Range. It's well worth it as I'm getting a huge return in spades. I've been using it for over a year and not one instance of needing maintenance of any sort. I average only $20 a month in electricity and average around 371 miles between recharges.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Model S, huh? On that note, have you tried out any FSD capabilities if they're available to you? It's my opinion that electric AVs are what will dominate the back-half of the decade, so it'd be interesting to see the primordial days of it in action.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Post by raklian »

Yuli Ban wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:49 pm Model S, huh? On that note, have you tried out any FSD capabilities if they're available to you? It's my opinion that electric AVs are what will dominate the back-half of the decade, so it'd be interesting to see the primordial days of it in action.
I don't have a monthly subscription to the FSD service although I paid $10,000 to include the FSD hardware. It costs $199 a month which I'm not exactly ready to shell out for a bleeding edge autonomy capability that is still being ironed out. I will test it out once most of the bugs are sorted out.

But it's not to say it doesn't come without the autopilot functionality (traffic aware cruise control, automatic steering/lane centering, etc.) which is the standard on this model anyway.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

DHL plans electric cargo planes from 2024

18th August 2021

DHL Express, the world's largest provider of express delivery services, will begin deploying electric cargo planes from 2024.

The courier giant – which operates in 220 countries and territories – has announced a collaboration with Eviation, a global manufacturer of all-electric aircraft based in the Seattle area. DHL has initially ordered 12 fully electric "Alice" eCargo planes from Eviation and will pursue the longer-term goal of decarbonising its entire cargo fleet.

https://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/202 ... planes.htm

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

NASA is Testing Electric Air Taxis With Joby Aviation
by Andrew J. Haawkins
September 1, 2021

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/1/22651 ... t-air-taxi

Introduction:
(The Verge) NASA kicked off test flights of electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft — colloquially referred to as “flying cars” — with Joby Aviation, the Northern California company that recently went public. The test flights are part of a national campaign by NASA to observe these experimental aircraft in action and determine whether they are safe for passengers.

Joby, which was founded in 2009, is the first eVTOL company to participate in NASA’s Advanced Air Mobility (AAM) National Campaign. The test flights commenced Monday, August 30th, at the company’s airfield in Big Sur, California, and will run through September 10th, the agency said.

But NASA won’t just be a passive observer as Joby’s six-rotor aircraft whiz through the air. The space agency will be collecting “vehicle performance and acoustic data for use in modeling and simulation of future airspace concepts,” it said.

In other words, it will be closely monitoring the aircraft’s sound profile to see how well it compares to helicopters and other gas-powered vehicles. A major selling point for eVTOL companies is that these aircraft are noticeably less noisy than helicopters, and therefore better suited for flights over populated areas.

During the test flights, NASA says its team will “collect information about how the vehicle moves, how the vehicle sounds, and how the vehicle communicates with controllers.” The agency plans on conducting similar tests with additional eVTOL companies in the future.
caltrek's comment: It is quite fitting that these test flights are occurring in Big Sur. Landslides periodically result in parts of the Big Sur coast being cut off from land traffic. The costs of the need periodic repairs is so bad that I understand Caltrans (California Transportation Agency) is contemplating abandoning the maintenance of Highway 1, which serve Bir Sur. This, despite the heavy tourist traffic and tourist related businesses and parks in the area when the highway is open.

The nature of the coast is such that construction of harbors is also highly impractical. There are few, if any, sheltered areas where such ports could be established. There are also no landing strips that I know of in the area, so an eVTOL aircraft would be quite appropriate.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

England will be first country to require new homes to include EV chargers

Michelle Lewis
Sep. 10th 2021 9:43 am PT

The British government will introduce legislation in 2021 that will require all newly built homes and offices to feature electric vehicle chargers in England.

Specifically, all new homes and offices will have to feature “smart” charging devices that can automatically charge vehicles during off-peak periods. New office blocks will need to install a charge point for every five parking spaces.

The new law will make England the first country in the world to require all new homes to have EV chargers.

It will also boost confidence in helping those who transition from gas cars to overcome range anxiety, as so many homes in England don’t have off-street parking or garages.

The proposal is part of the movement to rapidly boost the number of chargers across England ahead of the UK’s 2030 ban of new fossil-fuel vehicles.

https://electrek.co/2021/09/10/england- ... -chargers/

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

The world's first charging station for electric aviation

09/18/2021

Skycharge, developed by Green Motion and Pipistrel, has recently been approved by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) as the world's first OEM-independent electric aircraft charging station.

Pipistrel's Velis Electro aircraft had already become the first electric aircraft to receive a type certificate from EASA in June last year. The approval of Skycharge is another important milestone on the way to environmentally sustainable aviation.

Skycharge is based on Eaton's proprietary DC charging technology. The charging infrastructure for electric aircraft and eVTOL (electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing) aircraft offers exceptional conversion efficiency (over 96%), compactness and power density.

The charging station is available as a fixed version on a rack or mobile with wheels. The mobile version of Skycharge allows charging of electric aircraft (via GB/T charging plugs) and cars (via CCS or CHAdeMO plugs) without installation costs, as the charger can simply be plugged into an existing CEE socket. In addition, Skycharge is the first charging station for electric aircraft with smart grid functionalities, enabling V2G (vehicle-to-grid).

https://www.pveurope.eu/e-mobility/skyc ... c-aviation

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

UK electric car inquiries soar during fuel supply crisis

Sellers of plug-in vehicles say petrol shortages are driving people to adopt the new technology

Mon 27 Sep 2021 16.47 BST

As petrol stations in parts of the UK started running out of fuel on Friday, business at Martin Miller’s electric car dealership in Guildford, Surrey, started soaring.

After what ended up being his company EV Experts busiest day ever, interest does not appear to be dying down. This week the diary is booked up with test drives and the business is low on stock.

“People buy electric cars for environmental reasons, for cost-saving reasons and because the technology’s great,” he said. “But Friday was one of those moments where people said, ‘Do you know what, this is a sign that we need to go electric’.”

While scenes of chaos play out at petrol stations across the country amid shortages, for many electric vehicle (EV) dealers the fuel crisis has led to an unexpected surge in inquiries and sales.

EVA England, a non-profit representing new and prospective EV drivers, reports a rise in electric car inquiries and in interest at EV dealers, particularly in the last week.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ply-crisis