The autonomous trucking revolution is about to start

caltrek

Re: The autonomous trucking revolution is about to start

Post by caltrek »

funkervogt wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:35 pm
caltrek wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:48 pm
"Partial automation" is infeasible. ....
One possibility is that drivers would be freed up to multi-task. Inventory control could at least partially take place on the road. Such work on mobile computers could then be easily downloaded at the hubs. Drivers might also be able to spend more time planning their routes. Their hands and attention could be freed to do this sort of work. Also, one function of drivers is to periodically inspect their vehicles for damage and maintenance problems. So, problems encountered on the road, such as collisions with road debris, could receive immediate attention and evaluation.
Why wouldn't route planning be automated?

To your last point, it would still be inefficient since the human driver wouldn't be doing anything 99.9% of the time. It would be better for autonomous vehicles to pull over whenever they had problems and to summon the nearest human repair crew.
Well, I suppose everything can be automated.

I think one reason for my post is that I have noticed something about automation, at least as it was manifest in the last half of the twentieth century and the first part of this century. That is the way that it often transforms work rather than simply displaces workers. Put another way, automation can often free up humans to perform higher functions.

Sure, in my example about inspections, you point to one alternative. Taken in isolation, your example makes a lot of sense. However, I was noticing that, not in isolation, but as part of the overall package. Humans still have a (diminishing) advantage of flexibility and intelligence. They can be muti-tasked. Responsibilities assigned to them can be shifted. As always (at least under a capitalist system) economics will be a huge determining factor. Ideal combinations will be arrived at through time and experimentation. Moreover, things will evolve. For example, just about the time that the caltrekian prediction will seem to have won out, breakthroughs may occur in which the Funkervogt prediction proves to be the most accurate. One strength in W.J. Fox's approach is to allow for a logical succession of such things.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

I will have to admit, some of my comments on the previous page were just off the top of my head. Developments along the lines noted in the opening post do seem to be proceeding as outlined, at least if this article is any indication.

Aurora Launches Autonomous Freight Pilot with Werner, Expands Terminal Network
by Rebecca Bellan
April 6, 2022

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/06/auror ... l-network/

Introduction:
(TechCrunch) Aurora Innovation is launching its third autonomous freight pilot in Texas. Starting this week, Aurora Driver-powered trucks will haul loads for Werner Enterprises, a transportation and logistics company, between Fort Worth and El Paso, Texas.

The startup is already hauling freight for Uber Freight customers and for FedEx, a less-than-truckload (LTL) carrier. LTL freight refers to when an order shares a truck with other shippers’ orders. Werner will be Aurora’s first full-truckload (FTL) carrier customer, which means the truck will only carry one load and thus will be making longer, more dedicated hauls with fewer stops, allowing Aurora to flex its long-haul muscles. Like many AV trucking companies, Aurora is hoping to address long-haul freight first, in large part because they are the least desirable routes for human drivers.

The pilot with Werner will also be the first time Aurora has publicly announced piloting its driver on the startup’s new Fort Worth to El Paso lane, which is over 600 miles long. It takes nine hours to traverse the lane, which sits in the middle third of Atlanta to Los Angeles, making it one of the busiest commercial corridors in the country.

Aurora said it is also opening up three new terminals in Fort Worth, El Paso and Houston to support multiple commercial lanes.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Xyls

Post by Xyls »

Looks like Texas in particular is ramping up self-driving trucks on the roads safety be damned. Is this the beginning of the long predicted phase out of truck drivers and a huge wave of technological unemployment?

It appears that many companies are now partnering with AI companies to train the trucks. While this may resolve the labour shortage for now, once this inflation driven recession hits many of these jobs may not be coming back.

This is likely going to politically destabilize the US further.

How free-wheeling Texas became the self-driving trucking industry's promised land

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business- ... mised-land
FORT WORTH — For companies working to make self-driving trucks a near-term reality, all roads lead to Texas.

Vast highways, a booming freight market and, crucially, the least restrictive laws governing autonomous vehicles (AVs) in the United States have turned Texas into the industry’s most desired location.

Several companies, including Aurora Innovation and TuSimple, plan to deploy fully driverless trucks on Texas’ interstates next year, moving away from current testing that includes back-up safety drivers behind the wheel.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

While this may resolve the labour shortage for now, once this inflation driven recession hits many of these jobs may not be coming back.
There are labor shortages everywhere in the U.S. among low-skilled jobs like fast food cooks. They pay less than truck jobs, but have some compensating upsides (regular working hours, stationary work site). I hope unemployed truckers swallow their pride and take those jobs, and that they're willing to relocate.
raklian

Post by raklian »

funkervogt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:38 pm
While this may resolve the labour shortage for now, once this inflation driven recession hits many of these jobs may not be coming back.
There are labor shortages everywhere in the U.S. among low-skilled jobs like fast food cooks. They pay less than truck jobs, but have some compensating upsides (regular working hours, stationary work site). I hope unemployed truckers swallow their pride and take those jobs, and that they're willing to relocate.
This will remain true for one to three more years by which robots will start taking the fast food industry by storm.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.