When can I realistically expect to start augmenting myself?

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
Tadasuke

Re: When can I realistically expect to start augmenting myself?

Post by Tadasuke »

There are no real possible augmentations today, in any way. And it will take decades for them to become possible (not necessarily affordable). In a hundred years it will be completely normal to see augmented humans all around you, more so than in Cyberpunk 2077.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

I think the closest thing to augmenting ourselves will be AR glasses with AI that will augmented our thinking, our intelligence, our capabilities, our cognitive abilities, our knowledge. Smartphones are already doing that, but slowly. AR glasses will be faster, we will have what we want/need quicker. AI will understand what we want/need and present that to us. That is 2030s/2040s scenario. By 2045 our thinking may indeed be mostly in computers that we will wear on our heads. By 2045 there may even be AR contact lenses connected to servers with computation or to computers in our pockets. AR glasses will also connect wirelessly to computers in our pockets or to servers. In 2022 nothing is ready yet, but these things may be ready in the 2030s. I don't see us swallowing nanobots in the 2040s or even 2050s. It is probable by the 2060s or 2070s. In 2029 AI may really pass the Turing Test and in 2045 nonbiological thinking may dominate, but the world won't be as advanced as some people thought. We won't be truly cyborgs by 2045. We won't upload our minds to the cloud by 2045, that's for sure. But certainly by 2045, devices like Neuralink will be used by some people. I don't see their numbers being above 0.1% of global population though. I wonder if our inferiority to AI will pose problems by that time. Perhaps AI will only be a tool or it will be an independent consciousness. I also predict that by 2045, seeing someone with robotic limb won't be as unusual or weird as today, but still not an everyday thing.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
aixar

Post by aixar »

Tadasuke wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:56 am I think the closest thing to augmenting ourselves will be AR glasses with AI that will augmented our thinking, our intelligence, our capabilities, our cognitive abilities, our knowledge. Smartphones are already doing that, but slowly. AR glasses will be faster, we will have what we want/need quicker. AI will understand what we want/need and present that to us. That is 2030s/2040s scenario. By 2045 our thinking may indeed be mostly in computers that we will wear on our heads. By 2045 there may even be AR contact lenses connected to servers with computation or to computers in our pockets. AR glasses will also connect wirelessly to computers in our pockets or to servers. In 2022 nothing is ready yet, but these things may be ready in the 2030s. I don't see us swallowing nanobots in the 2040s or even 2050s. It is probable by the 2060s or 2070s. In 2029 AI may really pass the Turing Test and in 2045 nonbiological thinking may dominate, but the world won't be as advanced as some people thought. We won't be truly cyborgs by 2045. We won't upload our minds to the cloud by 2045, that's for sure. But certainly by 2045, devices like Neuralink will be used by some people. I don't see their numbers being above 0.1% of global population though. I wonder if our inferiority to AI will pose problems by that time. Perhaps AI will only be a tool or it will be an independent consciousness. I also predict that by 2045, seeing someone with robotic limb won't be as unusual or weird as today, but still not an everyday thing.
My cofounder and I are building AI-augmented AR glasses at a startup incubator, we're still in early stages, but we're exploring the top 3 most important capabilities for consumers of such glasses (or whether the economics for them actually make sense). The existing hardware options out there are not ideal, but the tech on the hardware side is incrementally improving. Dm me / send me an email at tim@nulexlabs.com if you have any input on what the most useful applications would look like for AI-augmented AR glasses, or if you'd like to partake in our eventual pilot programme - really appreciate it!
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

For example, I was today talking for 2 hours with a friend and we were remembering or at least trying to remember multiple anime, manga and video games, characters and situations from them. It would be great, if I could see what I'm talking about on a screen in my glasses. As soon as we start talking about something, useful, good data could show up. That is what Google is trying to do. Like I was once talking about dropping religiosity and I would like to see a graph with exact numbers, without searching for it in Google Images, because of course I forgot the exact numbers. I also forgot some characters names. He asked me for for a favourite something in a manga series and I was like ... I don't remember. If only I could be reminded of what was there. It's easier when you are sitting in front of a desktop PC, but it's harder when you are outside walking and having your smartphone in a pocket or especially when talking to it. When he sends me something during the call, I would like to see it immediately in front of my eyes, not having to check it every time.
aixar

Post by aixar »

Tadasuke wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:24 am For example, I was today talking for 2 hours with a friend and we were remembering or at least trying to remember multiple anime, manga and video games, characters and situations from them. It would be great, if I could see what I'm talking about on a screen in my glasses. As soon as we start talking about something, useful, good data could show up. That is what Google is trying to do. Like I was once talking about dropping religiosity and I would like to see a graph with exact numbers, without searching for it in Google Images, because of course I forgot the exact numbers. I also forgot some characters names. He asked me for for a favourite something in a manga series and I was like ... I don't remember. If only I could be reminded of what was there. It's easier when you are sitting in front of a desktop PC, but it's harder when you are outside walking and having your smartphone in a pocket or especially when talking to it. When he sends me something during the call, I would like to see it immediately in front of my eyes, not having to check it every time.
Interesting - it seems the utility comes from decreased latency of information recall and access. We'll be exploring the capabilities towards that direction, thanks!