Cloning Extinct Species

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
Doozer

Re: Cloning Extinct Species

Post by Doozer »

I'm starting to think that realistically, if we were to clone let's say wooly mammoths with ease, we'd need a HUGE shift in technology beyond what we have now. I'm talking Industrial Revolution-scale.
Last edited by Doozer on Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
merrycorsten

Post by merrycorsten »

Anything is real. Even the time to exhchange specimen further from the distinct finish- It's also a ground-barrier take to do so.- So what might happen?
StanleyNeilsen

Post by StanleyNeilsen »

Nope, I don't agree. Moreover, as far as I know, there always are some technologies that make clones.
urdestan

Post by urdestan »

Long time since I came to this forum. But my thoughts on cloning extinct animals is a full go. But we’ll never get dinosaurs or the like and we’ll probably mever going to bring back a true woolly mammoth or with the recent news coming out, a true thylacine.
Rodi

Post by Rodi »

Yes, one approach to do it in the future will be to reverse engineer the biological basis of species using our growing understanding of their behaviour, diet, and other characteristics. Given a thorough understanding of genetics and developmental biology, it is theoretically possible to create a comparable DNA and, provided it is compatible with the laws of physics, bring any species, whether real or imaginary, to life.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

A Beijing-based gene firm on Monday announced the debut of the world's first cloned wild arctic wolf via video, 100 days after its birth in a Beijing lab. Experts said its birth pioneers the breeding of more rare and endangered animals through cloning technology.

"To save the endangered animal, we started the research cooperation with Harbin Polarland on cloning the arctic wolf in 2020. After two years of painstaking efforts, the arctic wolf was cloned successfully. It is the first case of its kind in the world," Mi Jidong, the company's general manager of the Beijing-based Sinogene Biotechnology Co, said at a press conference in Beijing.

...The birth of Maya continues the life of the wild female arctic wolf, which was introduced from Canada in 2006 and died of old age in 2021, whose name was also Maya.
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202209/1275594.shtml
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

“De-Extinction” Biotech Company Is Working To Bring the Dodo Back To Life
by Regina Sienra
February 7, 2023

Extract:
(My Modern Met) The dodo, a flightless bird that went extinct in the 17th century, has long been among the first animals that come to mind when we think of extinct species. However, their fate is also a testament to how humans can push a whole group of animals to the brink. Now, Colossal Bioscience, a genetic engineering company, has the mission to bring back the dodo—or more realistically, a simile of it.

“The Dodo is a prime example of a species that became extinct because we—people—made it impossible for them to survive in their native habitat,” says Beth Shapiro, Colossal Bioscience's lead paleogeneticist. “Having focused on genetic advancements in ancient DNA for my entire career and as the first to fully sequence the Dodo’s genome, I am thrilled to collaborate with Colossal and the people of Mauritius on the de-extinction and eventual re-wilding of the Dodo. I particularly look forward to furthering genetic rescue tools focused on birds and avian conservation.”

To do so, Colossal Bioscience plans to rely on gene editing techniques, mining the genome for key features that would then be reassembled with help from the dodo's closest living relative, the Nicobar pigeon. From there, the team would create primordial germ cells that would then be transferred into a surrogate chicken host.

If they were successful in their efforts to bring back the dodo, the resulting animal wouldn't be a dodo per se. The team refers to the resulting creature as a proxy, since they wouldn't be true replacements for a dodo, but more of a creature with its characteristics that could take its place in its ecosystem in the hopes of bringing back balance. The company has said they want to reintroduce it back to the wild in its native Mauritius. On top of that, it would be missing the behavioral traits that make a dodo a dodo, since these are learnt from parents and the community, and the resulting bird would be on its own.
Read more here: https://mymodernmet.com/colossal-dodo-de-extinction/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

caltrek wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:46 pm “De-Extinction” Biotech Company Is Working To Bring the Dodo Back To Life
by Regina Sienra
February 7, 2023

Extract:
(My Modern Met) The dodo, a flightless bird that went extinct in the 17th century, has long been among the first animals that come to mind when we think of extinct species. However, their fate is also a testament to how humans can push a whole group of animals to the brink. Now, Colossal Bioscience, a genetic engineering company, has the mission to bring back the dodo—or more realistically, a simile of it.

“The Dodo is a prime example of a species that became extinct because we—people—made it impossible for them to survive in their native habitat,” says Beth Shapiro, Colossal Bioscience's lead paleogeneticist. “Having focused on genetic advancements in ancient DNA for my entire career and as the first to fully sequence the Dodo’s genome, I am thrilled to collaborate with Colossal and the people of Mauritius on the de-extinction and eventual re-wilding of the Dodo. I particularly look forward to furthering genetic rescue tools focused on birds and avian conservation.”

To do so, Colossal Bioscience plans to rely on gene editing techniques, mining the genome for key features that would then be reassembled with help from the dodo's closest living relative, the Nicobar pigeon. From there, the team would create primordial germ cells that would then be transferred into a surrogate chicken host.

If they were successful in their efforts to bring back the dodo, the resulting animal wouldn't be a dodo per se. The team refers to the resulting creature as a proxy, since they wouldn't be true replacements for a dodo, but more of a creature with its characteristics that could take its place in its ecosystem in the hopes of bringing back balance. The company has said they want to reintroduce it back to the wild in its native Mauritius. On top of that, it would be missing the behavioral traits that make a dodo a dodo, since these are learnt from parents and the community, and the resulting bird would be on its own.
If this lovely concept becomes a reality of which it can be I wonder how long until an ambitious old man comes along with his own INGEN to bring back dinosaurs. Hopefully such primitive lizards won't get released into cities like a show series theorized.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

caltrek wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:46 pm “De-Extinction” Biotech Company Is Working To Bring the Dodo Back To Life
by Regina Sienra
February 7, 2023

Here is more on that:

De-Extinction of The Dodo Takes Another Step Closer to Reality
by Tom Hale
November 24, 2023

Introduction:
(IFL Science) The mission to resurrect the dodo from extinction has just been given a boost thanks to a new partnership between Colossal Biosciences, a genetic engineering and de-extinction company, and the Mauritian Wildlife Foundation, a nonprofit conservation organization that works closely with the Mauritian government.

The de-extinction of the dodo is one of the central interests of Colossal’s Avian Genomics Group. With the help of the Mauritian Wildlife Foundation’s expertise in avian rescue and field monitoring, the project will now attempt to restore the dodo’s native habitats on the island of Mauritius off the east coast of Africa.

After all, there’s no point reviving the species if it doesn’t have a suitable home.

“Colossal’s de-extinction projects are only successful if the animals are rewilded and brought back to their natural habitat. We look forward to working with Mauritius to ensure this happens with the dodo,” Matt James, Colossal’s Chief Animal Officer, said in a statement sent to IFLScience.

Dodos fell into extinction in the 17th century when Europeans arrived in Mauritius during the age of colonization. As chilled-out, flightless birds that nested on the ground, the species became easy targets for hunters, as well as the predatory animals they introduced to the island like dogs, cats, pigs, rats, and crab-eating macaques. Their population quickly plummeted. The last confirmed sighting of a live dodo was in 1662, although statistical analysis suggests they held on as far as 1690. Either way, it’s near-certain there were no dodos left by the 1700s.
Read more here: https://www.iflscience.com/de-extincti ... ty-71704
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill