Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: The Singularity - Official Thread

Post by wjfox »

Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Just imagine going back in time, and having someone ask you when, where, and how does the singularity intelligence explosion take place? You answer, with the most serious stone-faced expression...

In Minecraft.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Would've never imagined this topic being posted in the NYT, wild times indeed:

Silicon Valley Confronts the Idea That the ‘Singularity’ Is Here

The frenzy over artificial intelligence may be ushering in the long-awaited moment when technology goes wild. Or maybe it’s the hype that is out of control.

(NYT)
For decades, Silicon Valley anticipated the moment when a new technology would come along and change everything. It would unite human and machine, probably for the better but possibly for the worse, and split history into before and after.

The name for this milestone: the Singularity.

It could happen in several ways. One possibility is that people would add a computer’s processing power to their own innate intelligence, becoming supercharged versions of themselves. Or maybe computers would grow so complex that they could truly think, creating a global brain.

In either case, the resulting changes would be drastic, exponential and irreversible. A self-aware superhuman machine could design its own improvements faster than any group of scientists, setting off an explosion in intelligence. Centuries of progress could happen in years or even months. The Singularity is a slingshot into the future.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I haven't watched this yet and I know this forum tends to be against conservative's.
Elizer Yudkowsky has sat down with a Republican politician for an hour to talk about why he thinks AI will end us all.
To me it intuitively makes sense that conservatives will be the first mainstream politicians to talk about AI being a big threat.
It is crazy that society has reached this point and it is more so a cultural marker of the singularity which is why I am posting it here.
Any content from Elizer is great, he reduced my optimism on a good singularity a lot but I think doing so brought my views closer to reality in terms of risk.
Powers

Post by Powers »

Ozzie guy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:31 am To me it intuitively makes sense that conservatives will be the first mainstream politicians to talk about AI being a big threat.
Only after Trump.
Also there's not much choice, it's either them (republicans) or liberals (democrats). Libertarians and greens are dead and I don't expect any important new party to form in the next 5 years.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

FPTP is a bitch
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

Yeah, except for one small problem...

Republicans don't actually regulate anything. Doesn't even matter if they talk about it like Trump vaguely mentioning bring back outsourced jobs amid political corruption. Didn't happen, same with the laughable social media hearings.

Doesn't even matter if their base feels threatened by AI either for that matter. All that matters is where their pocketbooks are lined. Guess what? MIC seems to love AI, losing an edge to China in innovation will take precedence over any other "ethical" concerns, automation of jobs means corporations make higher profits, which means GOP are essentially grabbed by the balls in regard to AI.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I actually now expect AGI in 2025, not with a high confidence threshold just what I think is the most likely year.

AI timelines have been rapidly collapsing and based on current rates Dr Alan D. Thompsons AGI progress tracker should reach 100% in 2025.
https://lifearchitect.ai/agi/

One AI meeting the definition of "Artificial general intelligence (AGI) is a machine capable of understanding the world as well as—or better than—any human, in practically every field, including the ability to interact with the world via physical embodiment." may not change the world instantly.

Time will be needed to reach superhuman level AI and for said AI to achieve various breakthroughs plus change the world. The outcome may be negative and if positive various users here might not end up getting what they want.