This lends further support to one of them:
https://marginalrevolution.com/marginal ... wards.html
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: 2045 predictions

Post by wjfox »

funkervogt wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:19 pm
You didn't use my predictions.
Oh, I still plan to. :) The latest one is mainly to focus on AI/robots. I will do smaller, separate entries for the other stuff.
bretbernhoft

Post by bretbernhoft »

I believe that the most advanced technologies will have become largely non-physical, energy-based. Some sort of means of controlling the physical world through a sort of constructive, silent, invisible and malleable magnetism. I'm not describing these thoughts completely, but I think my main point is made.

Interesting question.
I am a JavaScript Developer, who loves learning; especially when solving challenges as part of making unique applications for Internet users throughout the global Web. I began my journey in technology with WordPress and Web Analytics. More recently I've been working with React, TypeScript, Tailwind CSS, JavaScript, Vite, Node, Git, Netlify, Quickbase and RESTful JSON APIs.
JackWhite1

Post by JackWhite1 »

Seeing how rapidly the world is changing, it can be assumed that in 2045 it will be completely different. Obviously, artificial intelligence will be introduced into all spheres: everyday life, industry, transport, medicine, education, etc., production will become cheaper, and life will be safer.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

wjfox wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:13 pm- AI, automation, and robotics, and how these will affect everyday life/society
By 2045, while AGI will exist, I don't see most people experiencing or interacting with it much in their day to day lives - but they will have access to proto-AGIs. Artists/storytellers will have access to something like DALLE-2 on their art devices of choice (tablets, AR glasses, whatever). They'll have voice assistants like Alexa/Google/Syri today, but much more advanced, like GPT-3 or better. So you can actually have a conversation with them while having them turn on your lights or unlock your front door etc. You'll be playing games with something like Gato, which can tailor its playstyle to you, engage in motivational pep talks or even playful smack talk, etc. Basically proto-AGI for the masses is going to make life more seamless and make it much more easy to do whatever you want to do.

I still don't see a majority of humans affording or owning a robot butler or maid or servant or slave or whatever you want to call them - but they will exist and be available for the more well off among us. We will however have more niche robots more widely available and more cheaply. Think Roomba or Amazon's Astro, but useful. You could buy a new stove and oven range that comes with robot arms to cook the food for you (rudimentary version of it already exists even if not available, can't remember the name but should be hard to google it), self-flying drones with grippers attached to grab something and bring it to you safely, etc. Stop gaps until Rosie the Robot drops down more in price for the masses. So you could get a lot of the function of having a humanoid robot catering to you without actually having the humanoid robot. Unless you're rich, then you've got humanoid robots.
- Brain-computer interfaces (and other implantable devices), and how these might shift from medical to consumer uses
I don't see many invasive BCI options being made available for non-medical uses, just because of the slow pace set by the regulation in that field, but there will be some. I honestly don't think anyone but the most out there individuals will be willing to have a hole in their skull just to get a BCI ala Neuralink. I think Synchron's on the right track with their whole intravenous insertion method. So yeah, I think something like that will be available and easier to sell to your typical wary consumer.

That said, I think there will be far more people using non-invasive BCIs than invasive ones. I see it being a key component to AR/VR controls going forward in the future. I see them being useful for future smart home tech, turning lights on or off with your mind, pulling a streaming service up on your tv, etc. They'll be built into hats, wigs/weaves, headbands, basically anything anyone might put on their head. They won't have quite the level of functionality of the invasive versions, but for the average person of 2045 they'll be widely considered as good enough. But in later decades after 2045 I do see more and more acceptance of invasive BCIs occurring.
– Supercomputing (likely somewhere between zettascale and yottascale?) and its potential applications by then
I honestly couldn't even hazard a guess beyond "AGI will definitely exist, maybe even early ASI, while proto-AGI is plentiful and being used by most people" so whatever level of supercomputing is needed to make that happen is where we'll be at.
- General consumer tech, gadgets, VR, home computing, Internet, etc.
We'll have smart AR contact lenses giving everyone some basic cyborg supervision at least - give everyone name tags to improve name recall, see GPS directions in front of you, the star rating of and product in front of you, social media feed constantly in your vision, and so much more. We'll have cheap "hearables", ear buds loaded up with audio enhancements so you can control the volume of the world around you, focus on only certain voices or sounds, listen to your music library, call someone handsfree, ask your voice assistant for whatever, basically cyborg super hearing. We'll have BCIs, mostly noninvasive like I said but invasive as well, so you can control your gadgets by mind like a kind of telekinesis (technokinesis), compose texts with your mind, scroll through icons or lists in your AR vision with a thought, basically a lot of cool stuff. I don't think we'll be willing to cross the "write" boundary of what can be done with BCIs by then, but everything that can be done via "read" BCI functionality we'll be experiencing.
Any other predictions are welcome, but those are the main areas I want to focus on.
Climate change is going to suck hard. The political divide in America is going to get real bad. Populist movements will have risen to startling power. Basically most of what is good in the future is the tech stuff.
alibabaghanouj

Post by alibabaghanouj »

weatheriscool wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:10 am America either will be an a.i ruled police state that uses robots to control the chuttle that is the human population or will rip itsself apart in massive civil wars.
But why use futuristic (and probably currently expensive) AI for your police state when you have goons that will do it for a typical human salary? I hear you on the civil wars. This next one that's about to blow has been brewing since 1998.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

alibabaghanouj wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:25 am
weatheriscool wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:10 am America either will be an a.i ruled police state that uses robots to control the chuttle that is the human population or will rip itsself apart in massive civil wars.
But why use futuristic (and probably currently expensive) AI for your police state when you have goons that will do it for a typical human salary? I hear you on the civil wars. This next one that's about to blow has been brewing since 1998.
Those goons are too disobedient. Even when I was a kid I never liked cops and only being educated on what was up back in 2018 not to include the whole massive tech influence in media kicking off in 2000 goes to show I was right all along with the thought that neither do corporations or whoever is planning this. The amount of games, media, etc showing android police or at the very least cyborg cops should tell you that this future will include everyone under A.I. somehow. Not a glamorous thing to realize by the way but the police here in the USA have not helped at all either when I remember what they are like. Not much longer now though for the tech because I imagine as things get fully digital its going to be rougher for them than it is for a civilian like me.

Edit to add (yep, Reddit moment): I don't pretend to be a benefactor of this sort of technological change that will be an actual leash on the police. I do remember dealing with them a lot and how annoying some of them were on the false consciousness that they truly thought they would luck out with this sort of tech stuff and not be affected by it. I do wonder the effects once this happens of course on society in general in the USA.