Your 2022 predictions

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
Yuli Ban

Re: Your 2022 predictions

Post by Yuli Ban »

Alright, so it's almost New Year's. I don't think anything new on this list is going to happen in the next 24 hours, so let's run it down!
Main Timeline Predictions My Predictions ¡WiLd cArDs!

Final conclusion for the average person: little changed in your life compared to 2021. You did not become transhuman; you did marry an AGI; you did not get to ride in a flying car; you did not hook your brain up to a computer. It's possible you got to use some VR or AR headsets, and maybe you rode in a level 2 or even level 3 AV. You might've seen a drone show. It was another year of watching glittery high-tech advance in the distance.

But there were some deeply profound changes beneath the surface, especially in the world of AI. Artificial neural networks are finally being commercialized, and average people were finally able to use tools like DALL-E 2, Midjourney, and ChatGPT to see just what the future heralded. Indeed, in some ways in the world of AI and tech-bro culture, January 2022 and December 2022 are wholly different worlds; we started with generative AI barely better than DALL-E Mini/Craiyon and obtuse ways of using GPT-3, and we ended with Midjourney V4 and NovelAI and ChatGPT. It's almost difficult to imagine life without high-end generative AI like we saw just in the past few weeks and months.

2023 is going to feel the exact same as 2022, and no, by that, I don't mean there's going to be no progress at all. I mean definition number two. It's going to feel exactly like how 2022 felt.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Germany phases out nuclear energy | Negative. It probably wouldn't have happened anyway, but the war in Ukraine all but assured nuclear's future in Europe.
I still think that alternative, sustainable technologies in power generation may very well replace nuclear. The demand for energy coupled with severe supply chain issues may certainly slow a transition to these sources. More long term, if alternative sources of energy generation are more cost effective, why continue with the subsidized nuclear energy route?

One aspect of the war is that it does highlight the dangers of operating nuclear power plants in areas that become war zones. Decentralized sources of power also make it more difficult for adversaries to completely shut down energy generation. Local grids may still be effective unless and until an invaded country is completely overwhelmed.

There is also the potential problem of terrorist threat. The need for heightened security precautions may add to costs.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

A major breakthrough in nuclear fusion as net energy is achieved. Commercialization remains a long way off
Looks like that major breakthrough made it just under the wire for 2022.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill