Is it possible that once our current universe ends a new one could begin afterwards?

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
LostInSpace8421

Is it possible that once our current universe ends a new one could begin afterwards?

Post by LostInSpace8421 »

I know all things come to an end but don’t some things sometimes be reborn and start over again I am curious when our universe ends the current one I’m talking about could their be another universe created perhaps by A BLACK HOLE could humans still be around also or maybe be half human half alien or half robot half human?
caltrek

Re: Is it possible that once our current universe ends a new one could begin afterwards?

Post by caltrek »

It either happens that way (or will happen that way) or it doesn't. Writing about whether it is "possible" smacks too much of introducing a statistical element of chance to it that I don't think exists. I don't mean to sound critical of the opening post. It is just that when discussing such topics, this probabilistic way of speaking often creeps in. Not that the author of the opening post actually went that route. It is just that it is really quite common in English speaking society. It is just a pet peeve of mine that probabilities are assigned to such either or dichotomies, if that makes a any sense.

I don't understand the physics enough to make any comments that are more definite than the following observation. Based on my limited understanding, it does seem plausible that there is a sort of recurring cycle that involves black holes, white holes, the big bang, etc. I think there are physicists trying to work out the details of how that might work. The math involved is way above my head, as is the understanding of theoretical physics. Perhaps somebody with a greater sense of confidence in those areas will have something to add.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
Revolutionary Moderate

Re: Is it possible that once our current universe ends a new one could begin afterwards?

Post by Revolutionary Moderate »

Due to quantum tunneling and other weird quantum effects, a new universe could be created after our current one ends, although it will take a very long time, like many times the age of the universe long.
The Potato Praiser
LostInSpace8421

Post by LostInSpace8421 »

So it is possible that a new universe could be reborn once the current one ends but how long will the current universe be around will it be a very very long time before our current universe ends sorry I don’t mean to ask but an interesting article here it says how humans will be able to survive the end of earth, the sun exploding and survive the end of the universe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... ncna831291
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Here is another article that addresses the basic question posed by this thread:

How Did The Big Bang Arise Out of Nothing?
by Alastair Wilson
January 4, 2022

https://www.sciencealert.com/how-did-th ... be-the-way

Extract:
(Science Alert) To truly answer the question of how something could arise from nothing, we would need to explain the quantum state of the entire Universe at the beginning of the Planck epoch.

The 2020 Nobel Prize-winning physicist Roger Penrose has proposed one intriguing but controversial model for a cyclical Universe dubbed "conformal cyclic cosmology".

Penrose was inspired by an interesting mathematical connection between a very hot, dense, small state of the Universe – as it was at the Big Bang – and an extremely cold, empty, expanded state of the Universe – as it will be in the far future.

His radical theory to explain this correspondence is that those states become mathematically identical when taken to their limits. Paradoxical though it might seem, a total absence of matter might have managed to give rise to all the matter we see around us in our Universe.

In this view, the Big Bang arises from an almost nothing. That's what's left over when all the matter in a universe has been consumed into black holes, which have in turn boiled away into photons – lost in a void.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

It makes sense. ;)
bretbernhoft

Post by bretbernhoft »

As if that which is "the Universe" can be described as a pulsating cycle; edging out faster and faster, to then only contract into an impossible singularity.
I am a JavaScript Developer, who loves learning; especially when solving challenges as part of making unique applications for Internet users throughout the global Web. I began my journey in technology with WordPress and Web Analytics. More recently I've been working with React, TypeScript, Tailwind CSS, JavaScript, Vite, Node, Git, Netlify, Quickbase and RESTful JSON APIs.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Towards Quantum Simulation of False Vacuum Decay
January 20, 2022

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/940613

Introduction:
(University of Cambridge via EurekAlert) Phase transitions are everywhere, ranging from water boiling to snowflakes melting, and from magnetic transitions in solids to cosmological phase transitions in the early universe. Particularly intriguing are quantum phase transitions that occur at temperatures close to absolute zero and are driven by quantum rather than thermal fluctuations.

Researchers in the University of Cambridge studied properties of quantum phases and their transitions using ultracold atoms in an optical lattice potential (formed by a set of standing wave lasers). Typically, the transition from a Mott insulator (MI) to a superfluid (SF), which is governed by the interplay of the atom-atom interactions and the hopping of atoms, is a continuous transition, where the system undergoes a smooth continuous change crossing the phase transition point.

However, many phase transitions are discontinuous, such as water freezing to ice, or the transition thought to have triggered the inflation period in the early universe. These are called ‘first-order transitions’ and for instance allow both phases to coexist – just like ice blocks in a glass of water – and can lead to hysteresis and metastability, where a system remains stuck in its original phase (the false vacuum) even though the ground state has changed.

By resonantly shaking the position of the lattice potential, the researchers could couple or “mix” the first two bands of the lattice. For the right parameters, this can excite the atoms from the lowest band into the first excited band, where they would form a new superfluid in which the atoms appear at the edge of the band (see figure). Crucially, the transition from the original Mott insulator in the lowest band to the resulting staggered superfluid in the excited band can be first-order (discontinuous), because the non-staggered order in the Mott insulator is incompatible with the staggered order of this superfluid – so the system has to choose one. The researchers could directly observe the metastability and hysteresis associated with this first-order transition by monitoring how fast one phase changes into another, or not. The findings are published in the journal Nature Physics*.
*https://www.nature.com/articles/s41567-021-01476-w
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
GTrang

Post by GTrang »

In theory, the answer is yes. Long after the beginning of the Dark Era, there could be a new inflationary period resulting in a new Big Bang in perhaps 10^10^10^56 years. And then, the resulting child universe would then go through its Primordial, Stelliferous, Degenerate, Black Hole, and Dark Eras, after which there would eventually again be another inflationary period resulting in another Big Bang, perhaps ad infinitum.

Perhaps, the inflationary period prior to the Big Bang 13.8 billion years ago could have occurred in the Dark Era of a parent universe that has already went through its Primordial, Stelliferous, Degenerate, and Black Hole Eras.

Alternatively, the universe could instead "bounce" between a Big Crunch (contraction) and a Big Bang (expansion), or there could be a Big Rip.
MarionRobinson

Post by MarionRobinson »

LostInSpace8421 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:45 am I know all things come to an end but don’t some things sometimes be reborn and start over again I am curious when our universe ends the current one I’m talking about could their be another universe created perhaps by A BLACK HOLE could humans still be around also or maybe be half human half alien or half robot half human?
It's true that many things come to an end, but some things can be reborn and start anew. In terms of the universe, there are several theories about what might happen when it comes to an end, including the possibility of a new universe being created through a process known as "eternal inflation."

As for whether humans or half-human, half-alien, or half-robot beings could exist in a new universe, it's difficult to say for sure. It's possible that life as we know it could evolve in a new universe, but it would likely be very different from what we're familiar with. It's also worth noting that the creation of a new universe through a black hole is just one theory, and there are many other possibilities for how the universe could come to an end and what might happen afterward.

Ultimately, the future of the universe is still largely unknown, and there's much that we have yet to discover and understand.