What would humans be like if we decided to live forever?

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
LostInSpace8421

What would humans be like if we decided to live forever?

Post by LostInSpace8421 »

Like how would humans act and would we talk the same for instance would we recognize that we are would we remember our family members plus friends if we uploaded our minds to computers will we still look human on outside like we will be robot underneath our skin like terminator? Sorry I hope I am making 100% complete sense here. Is it possible that humans will be given something so we won’t have to feel the excruciating and terrible pain of having to go under the knife to upload our minds to a computer to make us a robot or cyborg and we would be given something to put us to sleep to replace our body parts so we won’t feel any pain either including replacing our organs, kidney, liver, heart, even our private parts I mean I certainly hope we wouldn’t be awake that’s if we would ever have these procedures done that’s if humans would evolve into robots or cyborgs or is it totally possible that humans can evolve into something else other than a robot or cyborg like a new alien species but still be human but more like super enhanced human or evolve into just a new species of human like human 2.0 I’m guessing if humans evolved into certain type of alien species the extraterrestrials would have to come in contact with us to give us something to make us like a human like alien just looking for other possibilities on what humans could become if we are not a robot or cyborg or machine in our body in the future.
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: What would humans be like if we decided to live forever?

Post by wjfox »

erowind

Post by erowind »

I am glad you're posting friend, but please learn how to use periods and paragraphs. It's hard to understand what you're saying.

funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

When it becomes possible to radically upgrade human bodies and minds, of course the surgical procedures will involve anesthesia and will be painless. That's already the case for non-augmentative surgeries performed today.

Another question you seem to be asking is what will radically augmented humans look like. In the near term, they will look like Homo sapiens, albeit like the handsomest and strongest members of our species. The augmentations will consist of genetic engineering, modifications to tissues and organs done during adulthood, and implanted cybernetic machines.

In the farther future, many "humans" will upgrade themselves to such an extent that they will no longer look like members of our species. A great variety of body forms and sizes are possible.

I agree with the others that you should review your posts to make sure the sentences are clearer.
Lurking

Re: What would humans look like if we decided to live forever?

Post by Lurking »

Internet used to be an escape from the real world.
Now the real world is an escape from internet.
SirSephy

Post by SirSephy »

it would be very like in altered carbon tv series. in not-so-good way.
raklian

Post by raklian »

I once had a poignant thought about this particular subject. I imagined someone who has lived for millions of years after undergoing countless transformations with each being as extreme as going from a human being to a jellyfish or even artificial life. That former human had become a purely "sentient" mind whose purpose is to be a purveyor of different states of consciousness and experiences with the ultimate aim of glimpsing or even transcending beyond.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

In the Mass Effect series, the Asari are very long lived and have an interesting lore in regards to how they spend their lifetimes. Basically, their teenage years are more prolonged and they have extra time to "explore themselves" or find out where they fit in society. While the idea that someone who's 106 is equivalent to a 19 year old may seem preposterous, especially if they're sexually mature much earlier, we in our advanced societies already up what we consider to be teens or young adults in comparison to the past.

I'd imagine just like the Asari, we'd be allowed the option to pursue multiple fields of study, attain various degrees, and basically obtain a "lifetimes" worth of knowledge at an "early" age. They were also known for long term planning or thinking due to the perspective a much longer lifespan brings. Suddenly, say... an issue such as climate change, becomes far more "reasonable" to address early when you'll still be alive to witness the consequences of not doing so. Our economies would also be much more risk averse, and I do remember something from the games' codex regarding this. The idea of some economic planning is just more sound with longer lived lives. Maybe our vacation/holiday times would also be adjusted for a decade or so rather than a week?

Similarly for the Vulcans in Star Trek, who while not as long lived as the Asari, have that same forward thinking. There are other species in both settings who live longer, but I find these to be the closest to "enlightened" human ideals.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Cyber Rebel talked about the main points I was going to post on this topic namely being able to choose what you can study and be able to be more productive overall. By being able to live forever would allow the completion of some predictions of the Future Timeline as well.

I know I would love to be able to live forever because for me 2000 - 2020 really sucked. Its only now recently in 2021 that things are starting to turn around and with the tech seemingly released from being this weird taboo thing in the USA it seems things will only get better from here. I would love to be able to make up for lost time and help in some way to make some predictions or see some predictions of the Future Timeline fulfilled. It would be pretty awesome!
wheelspeed

Post by wheelspeed »

Hi! First post, be nice! :_) and i have my pinky and ring finger in a brace from a mtb'g crash so pls excuse typos

First, to OP, I think questions should include a time frame youre asking about.

near future- Teenagers already seem more interested in their Facebook persona than real life. In 2 or 3 generations, ppl might not care about looks and just live through social network. Thanksgiving will just be a virtual gathering. Covid already started the basis for that. Honestly, I welcome that idea of a virtual T-day.

The problem with my above thiught about young generations living thru their social digital persona is that ppl will eventually have to meet for sex and there's a visual aspect to that. i wonder if in the next couple generations if ppl will just accept to wear an oculus during sex because a bunch of sedentary ppl wont be very enticing visually. :lol:

far future - we'll be in a virtual reality through avatars. Maybe our 'body' will be a flash drive kind of thing. synapses and dopamine etc will be simulated so no reason for real sex. it'll feel like the real thing. Back to normal life.. gatherings like

I'm obviuosly leaving out lots of possible scenarios, but just sticking w OPs questtion on how ppl will feel about their physical looks in real life as we currently know it.