Communication with animals

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
funkervogt

Communication with animals

Post by funkervogt »

A group of scientists uploaded 7414 vocal calls from 411 pigs in all different situations into a neural network to train it to identify the animals' different emotional states. We now have a basic ability to understand what pigs are "saying."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-07174-8

We could also probably train neural networks to decode pig emotions based on their physical movements (e.g. - running, rooting, sniffing). If paired with the vocal data, it would be a powerful tool for understanding them.

The technique could also be used on other animal species, raising the possibility that technology could let us communicate with and understand animals.

In the far future, brain implants will let us directly hear their thoughts and feel what they are feeling.
raklian

Re: Communication with animals

Post by raklian »

The goal of developing this technology is to enable all species to understand this concept: "We, of the Homo Sapiens, are your Masters, thus you will submit to our will!" 8-)
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

raklian wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:21 pm The goal of developing this technology is to enable all species to understand this concept: "We, of the Homo Sapiens, are your Masters, thus you will submit to our will!" 8-)
Most certainly. But I'd also love to talk about random stuff with my dog if feasible.
And, as always, bye bye.
citali_

Post by citali_ »

Fish? :?
Indie singer/songwriter
https://youtu.be/Q_NhbSsz9ko
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

citali_ wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:31 pmFish? :?
While most fish aren't particularly intelligent, manta rays are actually allegedly pretty smart. I wouldn't mind listening into a manta ray's thoughts maybe.
VictorBorun

Post by VictorBorun »

R8Z wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:05 pm
raklian wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:21 pm The goal of developing this technology is to enable all species to understand this concept: "We, of the Homo Sapiens, are your Masters, thus you will submit to our will!" 8-)
Most certainly. But I'd also love to talk about random stuff with my dog if feasible.
I hope there will be some facebook for our dogs and cats. Some say they are not interested in pictures with no smell and feel, but that is a simplification. They do like some video games a little, but I hope they will love a chance to communicate with some ones they know but like to see more often.
And to browse old photo albums, too.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

I distinctly recall a news story from last decade, around my futurist born-again epiphany in 2014 in fact, where we had actually decoded a dolphin word:

Scientists Move One Step Closer to an Actual Dolphin-to-Human Translator

I'm unsure if anything came of this, but it's still neat. I imagine that this could be something AI and BCIs could further progress and that, by this time next decade, there will be active human-to-dolphin communication underway.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Artificial intelligence that could improve the welfare of farmed chickens by eavesdropping on their squawks could become available within five years, researchers say.

The technology, which detects and quantifies distress calls made by chickens housed in huge indoor sheds, correctly distinguished distress calls from other barn noises with 97% accuracy, new research suggests. A similar approach could eventually be used to drive up welfare standards in other farmed animals.

Each year, about 25 billion chickens are farmed around the world – many of them in huge sheds, each housing thousands of birds. One way to assess the welfare of such creatures is to listen to the sounds that they make.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ir-squawks
buyter

Post by buyter »

Hi,

As today's era goes on as progress is made I think man will invent a toy that talks to animals and quite a few scientists are working on it I also have a farm where animals live. They are all made by me from the furniture.
Runner Rugs Online In Australia @ 50% Discount Wholesale Rates.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

Wonder what that would be like though I imagine a little weird in some situations.