Technological Resurrection and Quantum Archeology

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
avpol

Technological Resurrection and Quantum Archeology

Post by avpol »

Have you heard of quantum archeology? It (a quote from the relevant Reddit subreddit) "seeks to reconstruct our past light cone, including the brain and body states of every person in history, with high fidelity through advances in physics and computer science." Thus, it's a method of technological resurrection.
Here's an article on it:
https://www.newsweek.com/quantum-archae ... ife-837967
Interestingly, work on this is already being conducted by a group of enthusiasts. Currently, a theoretical physical framework for it is being developed; the IT part will come later (when very powerful computers - in all probability, quantum ones - are available). The biotech part - 3D bioprinting with (at least) molecular precision - will come last.
So now, the community spreads the word about this cause and also invites physicists to take a look and, perhaps, to contribute. If you are a physicist and it seems interesting to you, welcome. If you know a physicist who could take interest in this, tell it to him/her, please.
The relevant subreddit on Reddit is here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/QuantumArchaeology/
The moderator is a physicist, so contact him if you have any physics specific questions.
Thanks for your attention.
jamestiago

Re: Technological Resurrection and Quantum Archeology

Post by jamestiago »

Animus, but with Quantum Physics.
avpol

Post by avpol »

What do you mean by "animus":-)?
jamestiago

Post by jamestiago »

avpol wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:22 pm What do you mean by "animus":-)?
Animus from Assassin's Creed franchise.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

This is the biggest cope I've ever heard about death. Don't get me wrong, the intention is extremely noble but it's maybe a few thousand/million years to early to think about that. Whoever is dead is dead for good until then (and most probably forever unless time really is infinite, unfortunately).

This type of thing isn't going to happen until we have the whole (or at least a great fraction of the) quantum state of the universe at the time we want to retrace back. It also assumes that the past is 100% deterministic to achieve what it wants to accomplish.

To understand what I mean the following video provides a visual way to understand how hard it is to retrace the state of the past:

If someone is looking for a tiny fraction of a percent into achieving immortality I'd take a look at cryonics or life extension research and technologies.
And, as always, bye bye.
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

Sounds like techno-optimism taken to the extreme, techno-faith follows suit. The overwhelming belief that with the power of technology, we can resurrect people who have long since died and decayed is one of, if not the many main notions of Russian Cosmism(another trans-humanist movement) with there being no actual definitive proof of this being. It seems to me the author(Istvan) is just trading one god for another, hoping and praying that with the power of technology, his brother can be brought back.
Considering the time that's passed from this article and Zoltan's changing political parties(Trans-humanist, to Libertarian to Republican before finally settling on Independent) indicates to me he's probably accepted his brother's fate.
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/russian-cosmism
R.I.P Ziba.