How are longevity predictions tracking?

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
Digital_Trader

Re: How are longevity predictions tracking?

Post by Digital_Trader »

My first post on the forum!

Like the OP longevity treatments are one of the things that fascinates me about the future timeline.

As a man in his late forties I’m doing my best in terms of health and fitness to stay in peak condition for as long as reasonably possible to hopefully see a time me when I might have access to these developments. My last health assessment gave me a biological age ten years less than my actual do I figure I’m doing something right.

The comment about good oral hygiene is also spot on. I remember reading an article a few years back now that correlated poor oral hygiene with dementia.
SerethiaFalcon

Post by SerethiaFalcon »

Since everyone ended up talking about their own personal longevity/advice, I will add my thoughts on longevity in general. I think, if you live long, you definitely should never be obese. I looked at a few studies that said even if you once were obese and lost the weight, it still shaved off years of your life. So, the goal should be to never be obese in the first place. I can say from personal experience that once you pass that threshold, it can be very difficult to get back to a healthy weight, even into the overweight category, sometimes. Also, never have mental health issues (as if someone can control that (severe issues at least), ha!). That can also shave years off your life. Oh, and there is a certain amount of "luck" to life. As in, you know, driving and having a piece of the road fall off and slam into your windshield, killing you instantly. Freak accidents like that, and you're out. Personally, I'm already on borrowed time and have already had many near brushes with death. I don't expect to live past my 60s-70s if I'm lucky. But, I've made peace with it. I will still strive to get healthier, but there's only so much I can do (shrug). Some people are just born with a bad hand biologically/environmentally. I just hope for a death that isn't extremely torturous. However, I do hope some of you make it to see the future as you dream it to be. :D
Bird

Post by Bird »

SerethiaFalcon wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:48 pm Since everyone ended up talking about their own personal longevity/advice, I will add my thoughts on longevity in general. I think, if you live long, you definitely should never be obese. I looked at a few studies that said even if you once were obese and lost the weight, it still shaved off years of your life. So, the goal should be to never be obese in the first place. I can say from personal experience that once you pass that threshold, it can be very difficult to get back to a healthy weight, even into the overweight category, sometimes. Also, never have mental health issues (as if someone can control that (severe issues at least), ha!). That can also shave years off your life. Oh, and there is a certain amount of "luck" to life. As in, you know, driving and having a piece of the road fall off and slam into your windshield, killing you instantly. Freak accidents like that, and you're out. Personally, I'm already on borrowed time and have already had many near brushes with death. I don't expect to live past my 60s-70s if I'm lucky. But, I've made peace with it. I will still strive to get healthier, but there's only so much I can do (shrug). Some people are just born with a bad hand biologically/environmentally. I just hope for a death that isn't extremely torturous. However, I do hope some of you make it to see the future as you dream it to be. :D
The stuff about obesity reminds me of a 60 minutes documentary I re-watched recently. It was from 2013 or so.
They had some data taken in the early 1980s, from people in their 50s and 60s all living in a retirement village. They followed it up 30 years later to see who was still alive and why. The study focused mainly on those 90+. I remember they had a few key findings.
Being obese was never good, being stick-thin was never good, but being overweight but not obese? That was apparently good.
Exercise was paramount.
A social life was important.
Smokers died.
I think that was... pretty much it. They didn't find anything specific about alcohol?
Anyway, yeah... keeping mentally healthy is probably something I need to look at more, as well. "Never have mental health issues" RIP me, dead!
I'm just a bird who escapes his cage to post here sometimes.
Nicknano

Post by Nicknano »

I do know there is a push to classify aging as a disease. That being said, a lot of states of have aging committees that are focused on dealing with old people problems, we are looking to change that outlook on how to prevent people from having old people problems to begin with. Fixing aging is the way to go.
evxinvs

Post by evxinvs »

This is my first post on the forum as well. Although I'm following the FT page for more than 10 years.
Regarding longevity predictions, guesses are the following:
  • 2065 is a good "guestimate" for significant improvement in preserving the biological age
  • 2040s will most likely provide some limited treatments, which would allow to improve person's wellbeing and influence some of the elements of aging
  • It's not only your lifestyle that affects your longevity, but also the environment. If you can, install a good water filter, move to some area with less air pollution
  • If you consider living an exceptionally long life, consider how you would like to live it. Imagine this is 2065: imagine yourself where would you like to live at that moment, what would be your profession, how would you compete for the scarce resources this planet will offer to a growing population and experienced but tired humans?
I'm thinking of building a plan, to create a life project, which would approach me to that very last moment. The project plan of my life. Will share my progress here, maybe some will get inspired...
Bird

Post by Bird »

Thank you for the advice.

It's sounding like my personal prospects are pretty good, though I should consider a few lifestyle changes to reduce my risk of dying too early.
I'm just a bird who escapes his cage to post here sometimes.