Using virtual reality to induce altered states of consciousness with entrainment media

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
bretbernhoft

Using virtual reality to induce altered states of consciousness with entrainment media

Post by bretbernhoft »

By using entrainment media within virtual reality (even augmented reality) it is possible to alter an individual's state of consciousness. There has even been talk of relying on this kind of media technology to supplement psychedelic experiences in order to facilitate greater healing.

Today there is a growing volume of entrainment media, largely found on YouTube. Which is accomplished by pairing audio (usually music) with clips of video media (usually movies), in such a way that these two multimedia formats compliment the other. The result is (brainwave) entrainment within the user.

Here is an qualified example of entrainment media:

Given that entrainment media is (in its current form) primarily viewed on flat screens (via YouTube videos), and is already capable of inducing altered states of consciousness within users, it doesn't seem like too far a reach for virtual reality to expand the conversation. I haven't personally combined entrainment media with VR, but it seems plausible others certainly have.

From my vantage, the opportunities provided by virtual reality to empower powerful non-ordinary states of consciousness is essentially untapped. This is a field of entertainment that (in my opinion) is generally ignored by mainstream society, for one reason or another. And is deserving of more interest; if only for practical reasons.
I am a JavaScript Developer, who loves learning; especially when solving challenges as part of making unique applications for Internet users throughout the global Web. I began my journey in technology with WordPress and Web Analytics. More recently I've been working with React, TypeScript, Tailwind CSS, JavaScript, Vite, Node, Git, Netlify, Quickbase and RESTful JSON APIs.
bretbernhoft

Re: Using virtual reality to induce altered states of consciousness with entrainment media

Post by bretbernhoft »

Here are three additional examples of entrainment media:

I am a JavaScript Developer, who loves learning; especially when solving challenges as part of making unique applications for Internet users throughout the global Web. I began my journey in technology with WordPress and Web Analytics. More recently I've been working with React, TypeScript, Tailwind CSS, JavaScript, Vite, Node, Git, Netlify, Quickbase and RESTful JSON APIs.
alibabaghanouj

Re: Using virtual reality to induce altered states of consciousness with entrainment media

Post by alibabaghanouj »

I'm all for altered consciousness, if "altered" is used as a synonym for "expanded". Even if the whole "we only use ten percent of our brain" thing is rubbish, it still feels like a lot of untapped potential there. And personally, I'd rather see money go towards this kind of science rather than overpaid pop stars and athletes, no matter how genuinely talented.
sm_max

Post by sm_max »

You know a VR machine may be developed, for clinically justifiable purposes, to treat phobias or help establish adaptive coping behaviors in response to stress. I think it's great! :geek: