Freeman Dyson's predictions (2005)

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
funkervogt

Freeman Dyson's predictions (2005)

Post by funkervogt »

How did I miss this for so long?

It's refreshing to see a brilliant, older person still so hopeful about the future.
PineappleDuckCurry

Re: Freeman Dyson's predictions (2005)

Post by PineappleDuckCurry »

I do like Freeman Dyson, but I think he is a bit of a nutter on climate change.
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

PineappleDuckCurry wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:20 am I do like Freeman Dyson, but I think he is a bit of a nutter on climate change.
He is not that crazy if one listens to what he is saying. He acknowledges there's climate change, but he argues people are too hysterical. Maybe the money could be more wisely used on other things.
PineappleDuckCurry

Post by PineappleDuckCurry »

I do agree with him that hacking the biosphere could be a way out of climate change, but I think he doesn't realize how far away we are from that because of eugenics fears, etc. I also think he is speaking outside of his domain of knowledge, but I guess that is why he labels himself a "heretic." For example he doesn't mention the problems that the oceans have with acidification due to climate change and the resulting loss of biodiversity.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

I also think he is speaking outside of his domain of knowledge
If climatologists are the only people whose ideas about climate change should be accepted, then everyone should ignore Greta Thunberg.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Dyson may have been a genius in some areas, and I respect him for that.

He was, however, a notorious spreader of climate disinformation.

Looking at his Wikipedia page, he was even a member of the GWPF (a truly evil organisation, IMO).

I don't have time to watch the video, but the scientific consensus is overwhelmingly clear on climate change.

funkervogt wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:53 pm
I also think he is speaking outside of his domain of knowledge
If climatologists are the only people whose ideas about climate change should be accepted, then everyone should ignore Greta Thunberg.
Everyone is entitled to their "ideas", but when we're making important decisions, isn't it best to listen to the experts in their field? Experts whose research has gone through a rigorous peer-review process and is published in respected academic journals.

You wouldn't listen to a carpenter for advice on cancer treatments. Or a chef for his knowledge of bridge building. You would listen to the mainstream scientific consensus on these subjects.

Thunberg is merely repeating what climate scientists have said. Dyson wasn't a climate scientist, and most of his opinions on the subject were just flat-out wrong, and taken from fossil fuel propagandists.