What are your top 5 advances you wish to see?

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
weatheriscool

What are your top 5 advances you wish to see?

Post by weatheriscool »

1. Anti-aging and age reversal. No one should die anymore! Everyone should be able to live as long as they fucking wish too. ;) This would reverse heart disease and cancer too.
2. Womb and all the tools necessary transfer for transgender woman. People should be able to have babies and live our most desired fanstasty as we're holding our babies.
3. Warp drive. At least 20 times + faster then the speed of light please. Get us to different planets!
4. Fully operational fusion. Cheap energy to power 6.
5. Teleportation from one area to another. I'd like to simply press a button and go anywhere.

Extra economic centered wish.
6. A world where a.i + machines do all the basics for humanity and no one goes without. no one goes hungry, no one is homeless and quality of life is high for all.
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: What are your top 5 advances you wish to see?

Post by wjfox »

1. Gigaton-scale carbon sequestration
2. Life extension
3. Low-cost space travel
4. Full-immersion virtual reality
5. Realistic humanoid androids
A vote for Trump, a third party candidate, or no vote at all, is a vote for a dystopian future.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

1. 3D printing (Specifically Material Innovation)
2. Renewable Energy
3. Space Exploration
4. IoT technology
5. AGI technology
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

1. Anti-aging/longevity - basically I want to live forever.
2. Bionics/better-than-human prosthetics - basically I want to be some kind of cyborg with a robot body.
3. Warp drive - I want us to reach distant stars.
4. Worm holes - once we reach those distant stars I want us to be able to colonize them and set up trade/communication between star systems, and warp drives would take too long.
5. I don't even know if there's a name for this kind of technology in the vernacular yet or not, but the ability to detect, communicate with, and/or travel to other universes if we do live in a multiverse.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:16 am 5. I don't even know if there's a name for this kind of technology in the vernacular yet or not, but the ability to detect, communicate with, and/or travel to other universes if we do live in a multiverse.
Vakanai, you must mean Multiverse travel and unfortunately, we are nowhere near that level of technology just yet. I have always dreamt to travel to alternate worlds too.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
FuturismFan

Post by FuturismFan »

1: Eternal youth/immortality
2: Cures (not just treatments) to all diseases: Alzheimer's disease, cancer, ALS, prion diseases, cardiovascular diseases, etc.
3: Regenerative medicine to perfectly fix all injuries: regrow limbs, organs, etc.
4: FTL drives. Though 20c is way too slow to effectively explore the galaxy, I would much prefer an FTL drive to be much faster (at least 1000c).
5: Humanoid AGI robots

I think that what would make everyone happiest is to prevent death and disease.

Bonus:
6: Full immersion virtual reality
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Time_Traveller wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:06 am
Vakanai wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:16 am 5. I don't even know if there's a name for this kind of technology in the vernacular yet or not, but the ability to detect, communicate with, and/or travel to other universes if we do live in a multiverse.
Vakanai, you must mean Multiverse travel and unfortunately, we are nowhere near that level of technology just yet. I have always dreamt to travel to alternate worlds too.
Oh I agree that we're nowhere near multiverse travel, probably centuries away at the very least. Maybe AGI could bring that time frame down, but I doubt it. And that's assuming that we do exist in a multiverse and that travel between them is even possible, and we're generations away from even knowing how we might try to determine that. But the question was what advances we most wish to see, not what we expect to see. Even if we can't travel to alternate realities, just being able to detect them and prove they exist would be monumental, and while that might also be impossible or centuries away, it's something that we could feasibly see in our lifetime if we just had a theory we could test. But for the moment I don't think we have even that - but waiting for a theory is something.

I don't know - I know the multiverse is big news culturally right now because of the MCU and Spider-Man and the Spider-Verse, but I've been wanting this since I saw like a PBS series on it I think back in the 00's about string and M theory.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:35 pm
Oh I agree that we're nowhere near multiverse travel, probably centuries away at the very least. Maybe AGI could bring that time frame down, but I doubt it. And that's assuming that we do exist in a multiverse and that travel between them is even possible, and we're generations away from even knowing how we might try to determine that. But the question was what advances we most wish to see, not what we expect to see. Even if we can't travel to alternate realities, just being able to detect them and prove they exist would be monumental, and while that might also be impossible or centuries away, it's something that we could feasibly see in our lifetime if we just had a theory we could test. But for the moment I don't think we have even that - but waiting for a theory is something.

I don't know - I know the multiverse is big news culturally right now because of the MCU and Spider-Man and the Spider-Verse, but I've been wanting this since I saw like a PBS series on it I think back in the 00's about string and M theory.
Indeed but with me it was Sliders the TV series then I started reading about the Multiverse and so on....

-H.G Wells.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Time_Traveller wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:09 pm

Indeed but with me it was Sliders the TV series then I started reading about the Multiverse and so on....
I LOVED Sliders!!! Was one of my favorite TV shows as a kid, up there with Hercules, Xena, Gargoyles, and Batman The Animated Series. Went downhill when they introduced the whole Kromaggs plot though.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:16 pm
Time_Traveller wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:09 pm

I LOVED Sliders!!! Was one of my favorite TV shows as a kid, up there with Hercules, Xena, Gargoyles, and Batman The Animated Series. Went downhill when they introduced the whole Kromaggs plot though.
All the best ones and yes, they didn't stick with the roots of the show.

-H.G Wells.