‘Supercontinent’ could make Earth uninhabitable in 250m years

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

‘Supercontinent’ could make Earth uninhabitable in 250m years

Post by wjfox »

‘Supercontinent’ could make Earth uninhabitable in 250m years, study predicts

Extreme temperatures, radiation and collapse of food supply created by merging of continents would cause mass extinction

Mon 25 Sep 2023 16.00 BST

The formation of a supercontinent on Earth could wipe out humans and any other mammals that are still around in 250m years, according to a study.

The mass extinction would be caused primarily by heat stress as a result of greater volcanic activity that would put twice as much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere as current levels, an older sun that would emit more radiation and the extent of inland deserts in the tropics.

The supercontinent Pangea Ultima is expected to take shape when all the current continents merge together in the distant future. The paper, which was published on Monday in Nature Geoscience, is the first attempt to model how extreme the climate might become from that geological rearrangement.

Using a UK Met Office climate model and the University of Bristol supercomputer, the simulation also provided tectonic clues to past extinction events and data that could be of use to astronomers looking for other habitable planets.

In the era of Pangea Ultima, the temperature extremes are expected to be dramatic, with more humidity than now along the coasts and extremely arid conditions in the vast inland deserts. In this world, global temperatures could rise 15C (and up to 30C on land) above pre-industrial levels, which would return the world to the extreme heat it last went through in the Permian–Triassic era, 260m years ago, when more than 90% of species were eradicated. Protracted periods of heat in excess of 40C would be beyond the tolerance levels of many life forms.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... y-predicts

Credit: Dmitry Rukhlenko/Travel Photos/Alamy
funkervogt

Re: ‘Supercontinent’ could make Earth uninhabitable in 250m years

Post by funkervogt »

Only these kinds of synthetic life forms will be able to live there: http://www.nelsonrobotics.org/robotchild_web/
Powers

Post by Powers »

funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

Living underground would be the only way to keep cool.
raklian

Post by raklian »

If we continue to technologically evolve without going extinct as a whole group, what we will be doing in 250 million years, I wonder? Imagine AI accelerating our progress by a million times in few centuries. Now what about 250 million years? Boggles the mind. We'll probably have already long ago shed everything that makes us remotely "human" becoming something else incomprehensible, in the process transforming Earth, even the Sun, into something else for reasons we can't fathom. That begs the question: will Earth in its general form even exist by then?
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

I find it weird that this "news" about a supercontinent making Earth inhospitable in 250 million years got so much attention. The exact same thing was discussed in this "Naked Science" episode in 2008:
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1qb411a7tu/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... s#Season_5

An important human frailty is a poor memory. Facts that we've forgotten can be drummed up again and again to amuse us.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

raklian wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:32 pm If we continue to technologically evolve without going extinct as a whole group, what we will be doing in 250 million years, I wonder? Imagine AI accelerating our progress by a million times in few centuries. Now what about 250 million years? Boggles the mind. We'll probably have already long ago shed everything that makes us remotely "human" becoming something else incomprehensible, in the process transforming Earth, even the Sun, into something else for reasons we can't fathom. That begs the question: will Earth in its general form even exist by then?
Yes, it will. Turning it all into computronium would be pretty evil - even if we're some posthuman god-like entities, the rest of life on earth will not be. Creating intentionally an environment or world animals can't survive on would be pretty horrendous - heck, pretty messed up now that we're doing it unintentionally.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Powers wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:49 am Image
I can't read the tiny text and it blurs too bad when I blow it up, and I don't recognize the pictures at all - what's this a reference too.
FuturismFan

Post by FuturismFan »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:03 am
I can't read the tiny text and it blurs too bad when I blow it up, and I don't recognize the pictures at all - what's this a reference too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_After_Man

It's a speculative evolution book which is quite silly in my opinion.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

FuturismFan wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:07 am
Vakanai wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:03 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_After_Man

It's a speculative evolution book which is quite silly in my opinion.
Ah, thank you for the answer! :)