14%
Never
7%

Total votes: 14

wjfox
Site Admin

When will a human first walk on Mars?

Post by wjfox »

The Red Planet. A whole new world for us to explore, settle, and build on. Potential for entire new societies, economies, and cultures. A way of improving our survival odds, making us a multi-planetary species, and kickstarting the longer-term process of settlement across the Solar System.

The idea is tremendously exciting and could happen within our lifetimes. But many technical, financial, and other hurdles remain. Then again, we are living in exponential times when change is happening faster and faster. See, for example, the rapid decline in launch costs.

We have already gone to the Moon, and are likely to return there soon. So when do you predict a human will first set foot on Mars?

The dates given here (and in the poll options) are based on the possible launch windows, which occur every 26 months. Plus they assume an average travel time of 7.5 months, although this might change with faster propulsion methods in the future.

Currently, the main players seem to be:

NASA
Stated goal of Mars landing in the 2030s, either using an upgraded SLS or possibly a commercial option, e.g. SpaceX rocket(s).

SpaceX
Starship rocket is gigantic, relatively low cost, and could be ideally suited to such a mission if subsequent tests/iterations prove successful. However, founder and CEO Musk is notorious for being overly-optimistic in his timelines.

China
Their space programme is progressing rapidly, although still lags considerably behind NASA. But they seem very determined to achieve this milestone and it would be phenomenal for their country's reputation and place in history.

Other players include the European Space Agency (ESA), India, Japan, and a few others. Although we can probably rule these out, they seem likely to play a role in terms of collaboration/technology, as well as subsequent landings.

Some have speculated that, like NASA's upcoming return to the Moon, the first human to walk on Mars could be a woman:

FuturismFan

Re: When will a human first walk on Mars?

Post by FuturismFan »

Probably the 2040s or 2050s. It'll definitely be the USA, not China. I have no faith in the Chinese space program. Their Mars rover looks like a carbon copy of Spirit/Opportunity, which were launched in 2003. China is nearly 20 years behind the US in space technology. And China's rover didn't even work as well as Spirit/Opportunity. Opportunity lasted until 2018. China's Mars rover became inactive quickly. Modern US Mars tech is far more advanced - the Curiosity and Perseverance rovers are much more advanced than China's rover. The US is ahead in space tech in basically every way: China's space station is similar to the Mir station of the 20th century, and the JWST makes the Xuntian telescope look paltry.

But Artemis missions keep getting delayed, and NASA doesn't even have complete plans for a sample return mission. Sample return probably won't happen in the 2020s. I feel like Perseverance was basically a rover built to get sample return funding, since it had a sample caching system. So in a way, it sort of forces sample return funding, since the samples are already cached. I expect sample return by the 2030s, and human missions by 2040s or 2050s. Hopefully its sooner than that. But for these types of mega-projects, costs always seem to balloon and timelines always seem to get longer.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

I would probably say in the early 2040s as they would need quite alot of research into it between now and then and I would expect say SpaceX will be the first Space company to voyage there but we will see.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

I am going to say that it will either be the indians from india or China around 2060. America is in decline and is likely to have a dictator very soon that will force religious crap down our throats and that isn't good for science. Elon musk is already transforming into such a supporter and will likely not pull off his younger plans of going to mars. Space ship isn't exactly going to be trust worthy in the next 10 years that is for sure towards such goals.

Society in general here in America will more likely defund nasa and science.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

weatheriscool wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:22 pm I am going to say that it will either be the indians from india or China around 2060. America is in decline and is likely to have a dictator very soon that will force religious crap down our throats and that isn't good for science. Elon musk is already transforming into such a supporter and will likely not pull off his younger plans of going to mars. Space ship isn't exactly going to be trust worthy in the next 10 years that is for sure towards such goals.

But NASA is largely supported by Republicans, and its budget was actually increased in recent years, even under Trump.
FuturismFan

Post by FuturismFan »

wjfox wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:08 pm
weatheriscool wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:22 pm I am going to say that it will either be the indians from india or China around 2060. America is in decline and is likely to have a dictator very soon that will force religious crap down our throats and that isn't good for science. Elon musk is already transforming into such a supporter and will likely not pull off his younger plans of going to mars. Space ship isn't exactly going to be trust worthy in the next 10 years that is for sure towards such goals.

But NASA is largely supported by Republicans, and its budget was actually increased in recent years, even under Trump.
Obama largely gutted the US space program. The Constellation program was canceled. There was only a 2014 test flight of the Orion spacecraft, continued work on the SLS, and a nebulous plan for a manned asteroid mission. In the wake of the Space Shuttle's retirement, it felt to me like the dark age of US space policy.

The Trump administration did a lot of good for the US space program. It started the Artemis program and the Space Force. Trump himself signed an executive order to re-establish the National Space Council. The only complaint I have about the Trump administration's space policy was the proposed cancellation of WFIRST (renamed to the Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope), but that didn't end up happening.
MPI

Post by MPI »

Went ahead and voted "never" - given that we're having a difficult enough time settling our most basic issues down here on Earth I'm not terribly optimistic that humans will be able to achieve a landing on Mars, engineering hurdles aside. Even after landing humans on Mars there would be a massive amount of engineering left to terraform and colonize Mars, and it will be some time before we safely leave the solar system or galaxy. Maybe before 2100? Climate change might be a more pressing issue to resolve first, and we honestly haven't made much collective progress towards that.
Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Eight years ago, Starship was just CGI, and a few days ago it flew into space. I'm confident that in another eight years, it can take people to Mars.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Lilymoon

Post by Lilymoon »

Jakob wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:39 pm Eight years ago, Starship was just CGI, and a few days ago it flew into space. I'm confident that in another eight years, it can take people to Mars.
I believe he wants to go to Mars in the next 10 years from now and possibly a colony in next 15 to 20 years from now.