Over 50% of users may shun social media by 2025

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Over 50% of users may shun social media by 2025

Post by wjfox »

Over 50 per cent of users may shun social media by 2025 as misinformation, toxicity grow

A Gartner survey found that 53 per cent of consumers believe the current state of social media has decayed compared to either the prior year or five years ago.

Published: 24th December 2023 12:28 PM

The spread of misinformation, toxic user bases and the prevalence of bots are the reasons why more than 50 per cent of consumers will either abandon or significantly limit their interactions with social media by 2025.

A Gartner survey found that 53 per cent of consumers believe the current state of social media has decayed compared to either the prior year or five years ago.

Concern about the impact of anticipated GenAI use in social media is high and over 7 in 10 consumers agree that greater integration of GenAI into social media will harm user experience.

“Social media remains the top investment channel for digital marketing, but consumers are actively trying to limit their use,” said Emily Weiss, Senior Principal Researcher in the Gartner Marketing Practice.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/busine ... 44538.html
funkervogt

Re: Over 50% of users may shun social media by 2025

Post by funkervogt »

Facebook has definitely gotten worse.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

funkervogt wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:56 pm Facebook has definitely gotten worse.
90% of the content is now either adverts, or from groups I don't even follow. I prefer 2007-era Facebook.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Unfortunately, I will be one of those who will be shunning social media, it getting worse as the years go by. In a few days I will be saying goodbye to FB after 19-ish years on the site and its not what it used to be and the only social media-type app I will be using will be Whatsapp.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:48 pm Unfortunately, I will be one of those who will be shunning social media, it getting worse as the years go by. In a few days I will be saying goodbye to FB after 19-ish years on the site and its not what it used to be and the only social media-type app I will be using will be Whatsapp.
I thought you were returning to Mastodon?
raklian

Post by raklian »

wjfox wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:13 pm
funkervogt wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:56 pm Facebook has definitely gotten worse.
90% of the content is now either adverts, or from groups I don't even follow. I prefer 2007-era Facebook.
I think the future of media will be AI-based as more and more people become skeptical of human biases when reporting news or events they witnessed. Everyone will have a personal AI assistant that pulls raw data (images, videos, voices, etc.) directly from the events through all possible modes, and presents this information to the AI user in a customized format.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

wjfox wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:13 pm
I follow some FB groups just because they put images of hot women in my feed. Ever since the last version of Midjourney was released, I've noticed some of the images are CGI (e.g. Scarlett Johansson's face on a body that is even more buxom, and with the slightest fuzziness to the edges in the image). Based on the comments, 95% of people don't realize it's fake. This seems like a little step towards the decline of FB and the degeneration of society.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

A non-sequitur but me just thinking about myself being a no-life Emma Watson enjoyer: ...
TrueAnimationFan

Post by TrueAnimationFan »

I've been pondering about this myself for the better part of a year. In the early days of YouTube and Twitter, you could very easily report bullying, trolling and false information (i.e. "this comment has been flagged as spam"). Ten-something years later, there's almost no moderation on these platforms at all, and every other message I read seems to be written by what I can only describe as perpetually enraged, xenophobic cavemen with zero sense of social etiquette.

A recent example: I watched a video of someone who caught a meteor flashing through the sky on their dashcam. The time it takes for the meteor to become visible is 55 seconds - not even a third of the way through the whole video. And yet somehow, every single top comment was a sassy, whiny remark made by people who thought it took an absurdly long time for the meteor to appear. So by that logic, I guess feature length films are a crime against humanity.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:50 pm
Time_Traveller wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:48 pm Unfortunately, I will be one of those who will be shunning social media, it getting worse as the years go by. In a few days I will be saying goodbye to FB after 19-ish years on the site and its not what it used to be and the only social media-type app I will be using will be Whatsapp.
I thought you were returning to Mastodon?
Sorry WJ, I had changed my mind and wanted to keep it that way. If I kept the Mastodon account, the second time around I would be backtracking on my life without Social Media.

I just want to do more things in my life, other than posting it all over a social media site or look at posts then think "I wish that was me or I was there'' most of the time.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.