Over 50% of users may shun social media by 2025

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Over 50% of users may shun social media by 2025

Post by wjfox »

Time_Traveller wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:47 am
Sorry WJ, I had changed my mind and wanted to keep it that way. If I kept the Mastodon account, the second time around I would be backtracking on my life without Social Media.

I just want to do more things in my life, other than posting it all over a social media site or look at posts then think "I wish that was me or I was there'' most of the time.
Well, I hope we can stay in touch, on here and maybe elsewhere, e.g. would be cool to play Star Citizen! 8-) I'm nostalgic for those E:D adventures that we did from 2015-19.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

wjfox wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:20 am
Time_Traveller wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:47 am
Sorry WJ, I had changed my mind and wanted to keep it that way. If I kept the Mastodon account, the second time around I would be backtracking on my life without Social Media.

I just want to do more things in my life, other than posting it all over a social media site or look at posts then think "I wish that was me or I was there'' most of the time.
Well, I hope we can stay in touch, on here and maybe elsewhere, e.g. would be cool to play Star Citizen! 8-) I'm nostalgic for those E:D adventures that we did from 2015-19.
Don't worry WJ, I will still be on here I am not shunning all the net 😂. Maybe, I will have more time to pop on here as well. Hope so too but will need to download it when the time arises.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

Every FB group I've ever been to has gradually horribly degraded in every way between 2014 and 2020, so that there was no good reason to remain in such groups by 2020. I think FB was possibly better in 2014 than now. Twitter probably as well, but since then, on November 2017 Twitter doubled tweet character limit from 140 to 280 characters, which was a very welcomed change in my book. r/futurology and r/singularity seem to have degraded somewhat too.

If I had a child, I would give that child a Nintendo Switch with some selected by me four single-player (maybe with optional co-op) games. There is no web browser in any Switch. And I would give that child a "dumbphone" with only the most basic functionality. No laptop, no "smartphone", no tablet, no "smartwatch". I would consider giving an E-Ink e-reader.

Here's a relevant podcast episode:
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
Powers

Re: Over 50% of users may love message boards by 2025

Post by Powers »

PhpBB is the future.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

Side note to ramble about how much I love this community. People here are smart, well-informed, and will give lengthy, thought-out written opinions on almost anything when prompted. Furthermore mudslinging and dumb stuff is almost unseen here

Like an echo chamber of smart people