How long will the gap between AGI and proper full immersion virtual reality be?

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
Ozzie guy

How long will the gap between AGI and proper full immersion virtual reality be?

Post by Ozzie guy »

To define proper full immersion virtual reality (let me know if you have a better name) I mean you are able to live an entire lifetime in a virtual world that feels exactly like modern earth where you can't tell the difference. I strongly suspect that as we have lived our lives on this planet the most common fantasy is basically real life but changed so you get the life you want. (This is certainly what I want).

This type of FIVR setup would also require other things like anti ageing, life support and robots doing our jobs.

As for AGI let's say the clock starts ticking when we get about the dumbest AGI possible but is still technically AGI. Some decent sources seem to expect something like that this year.
Vakanai

Re: How long will the gap between AGI and proper full immersion virtual reality be?

Post by Vakanai »

Ozzie guy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:48 pm To define proper full immersion virtual reality (let me know if you have a better name) I mean you are able to live an entire lifetime in a virtual world that feels exactly like modern earth where you can't tell the difference. I strongly suspect that as we have lived our lives on this planet the most common fantasy is basically real life but changed so you get the life you want. (This is certainly what I want).

This type of FIVR setup would also require other things like anti ageing, life support and robots doing our jobs.

As for AGI let's say the clock starts ticking when we get about the dumbest AGI possible but is still technically AGI. Some decent sources seem to expect something like that this year.
1. I have no interest in living a lifetime in a virtual world. I hope most people won't. The occasional escapism or using it for games or other things sure. But living full time there I hope is something only a minority opt for.
2. The answer depends entirely on where or even if AGI can create BCI that can accurately stimulate our sensory systems to produce lifelike images, sounds, feeling, taste, and scent to fool us into believing it's real. I believe this will be possible, but we can not assume that this is a certainty. There's much we do not understand about the brain - although slim there is still that slight possibility we can't stimulate the brain with that degree of accuracy.
3. But assuming it is possible, at least 40 years. 30 to create the technology and clear it through the FDA for medical purposes, another 10 or better to get it approved for the consumer market. I'm afraid when AGI arrives the development of the technology will be much faster than the bureaucratic process to prove it's safe.
weatheriscool

Re: How long will the gap between AGI and proper full immersion virtual reality be?

Post by weatheriscool »

Depends on the political and religious forcings and effects on science and the investment that is acceptable. The more I study history and the acceptance of society in general the more down I am about the concept of long term advancement in a straight line with the acceptance of society, religion and even the government that is linked too it...Consider the reality that religion and government that was controlled by it held basic science back thousands of years and even at times banned, killed and destroyed it. We find many, many examples throughout history of people being put too death for believing that the earth isn't the center of the universe and for trying to study the human body and how improve quality of life. One thing this maga shit has taught me and that looking at the world is it isn't over and will probably never be over until it is forced to be over. Probably by the hand of some machine controlled by AGI.

Of course, I feel that our world is to the point that somewhere and some place will continue developing science and raise to heights of valuing such that they'll fund and continue the advancement. So I seriously doubt we'll go backwards too much but places to place religion and such thing that look down on science could in fact go backwards. But yet, again I'd say this will effect mostly the medical side of things...

We're a global world and I'd hope such things as AGI and VR will continue advancing even in a black market environment and will have a market place of people that just don't give a flying rats ass about what the religious idiocy has to say even at its worse....

I'd guess AGI will probably develop this kind of VR within 10 years if not sooner if allowed too. It will be fast if the religious idiocy allows AGI! AGI may well be a tool of freedom and liberty that people use and develop in their basements in 50 years and they could use such VR too get the f*ck away from their fucked up repressive realities in such places such as Russia, Saudi Arabia and quite possibly the United states( Texas and florida!).
Powers

Post by Powers »

I love how everyone's opinions differ so much in this topic.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

proper AGI 2030-2045

proper FIVR 2095-2110

In 100 years people will see as barbaric to force humans to live in one pre-existing reality, that they have never chosen for themselves, without any saying or influence about that. It will be widely accepted that everyone has the right to choose everything themselves, at least when they are 20+ years old.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.