The Singularity - Official Thread

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
Nero

Re: The Singularity - Official Thread

Post by Nero »

Whatever you do never let MythofProgress see that chart.
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

Nero wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:41 pm Whatever you do never let MythofProgress see that chart.
oh sweetheart, i didn't think i was important enough to live rent-free in your head, but ok. :lol:
R.I.P Ziba.
Nero

Post by Nero »

I check this site about once a week, seeing that this graph basically refutes your entire ideology and that I had minutes before replied to you it should be obvious to even someone as slow as yourself why I brought you up. I must live rent free in your head though given the speed and veracity of the replies you made.
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

this graph basically refutes your entire ideology and that I had minutes before replied to you it should be obvious to even someone as slow as yourself why I brought you up
feel free to demonstrate why, i'm waiting. oh and explain to me what my "ideology" consists of again?
I must live rent free in your head though given the speed and veracity of the replies you made.
nice projection, is that all? if you wanna talk about this and point out where im wrong, then do so but if you wanna insult people(as opposed to attack ideas head-on) then that's a clear indicator to me you don't wanna have an honest discussion. cheers.
R.I.P Ziba.
TrueAnimationFan

Post by TrueAnimationFan »

"feel free to demonstrate why, i'm waiting."

"nice projection"

For all your talk about having an honest discussion, these sound like clear attempts to pick fights and make people angry. Also, this thread is about the advancement of technology, and you're derailing it by making these rude remarks. There's obviously a reason why he mentioned you - it's because of the contrast between what the graph is showing vs. your idea that humans will be completely extinct in a few decades.
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

For all your talk about having an honest discussion, these sound like clear attempts to pick fights and make people angry. Also, this thread is about the advancement of technology, and you're derailing it by making these rude remarks.
like i said, I'm genuinely waiting for an actual, detailed response as to why I'm wrong, you can check the other threads and see they've resorted to ad hominem attacks in lieu of an actual argument deconstructing how i'm wrong, so the remarks i'm making aren't just petty insults and are reflections of this person's character.

if i wanted to fight, i'd go outside and touch grass- its just not something that would lead to any meaningful discussion about this.

that being said, it's pretty clear you have a problem as well- considering past threads show you being the tone police. honestly though, i blame the internet for not being able to capture subtleties or nuances in communication.
There's obviously a reason why he mentioned you - it's because of the contrast between what the graph is showing vs. your idea that humans will be completely extinct in a few decades
wasn't denying that, was noting that they had to bring me up in the first place-which suggests unresolved tension/hostility(so much for me derailing), but ok.

taking a look at the graph(as well as the blog it came from), it seems to mark an exponential growth in standards of living/quality of life(which again, nobody is denying this) however the missing context to the graph is that we are running out of oil. the oil which we can attribute to the massive growth in our standards of living?

right about now, most of the oil we get comes from the middle-east(more precisely Saudi Arabia), which the energy capture part of the data doesn't seem to account for-there's the unfortunate aspect that not too long ago the capacity for oil output was nearing its limit.(https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... ts-ceiling).

the war-making capacity section gliding over the nuclear bomb proliferation as countries(i.e north korea,india comes to mind) race towards constructing more powerful weapons in efforts to vie for independence and instead opts to mention other forms of technologies as if that actually solves/cancels out the notion of having a bomb big enough to cause massive loss of life.

the extreme poverty statistic i've already responded to a few times before this, but to restate the point it's not an accurate representation as the poverty line is extremely low and for those that do earn above the stated poverty line they still remain just as poor and stuck in near-hopeless prospects.

what do you think is going to happen when all the cheap and easy oil is gone? i've yet to see an adequate response and solution for this question. note that most of these improvements, are human-centered as opposed to being environment/life-centered. the moment they/you actually acknowledge those things, is the moment we'll be a little closer to the same page.

like i said, and i'll said it again. feel free to contribute to the conversation, without the need to tone-police of course.
R.I.P Ziba.
TrueAnimationFan

Post by TrueAnimationFan »

...How do I have a problem just because I prefer it when people speak politely?
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

TrueAnimationFan wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:32 pm ...How do I have a problem just because I prefer it when people speak politely?
... have you noticed any hateful, derogatory, discriminatory language/rhetoric that i've used unironically? if so, point it out to me so i can apologize. if not, then just judge me by the grounds of how effective my/their arguments/refutations are.
R.I.P Ziba.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

The truth is, the more we advance, the greater capability we possess to also destroy ourselves. But, by that same account, we also have greater ability to save ourselves, too.

Think of all the species on this planet to have ever existed and are now extinct. Progress didn't cause that, rather, the lack of it did. If we remained as even more primitive apes then we've might've gone extinct already like the rest of competing hominids. We've made it this far, may as well see it through to the end.
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

Cyber_Rebel wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:46 am The truth is, the more we advance, the greater capability we possess to also destroy ourselves. But, by that same account, we also have greater ability to save ourselves, too.
and yet, most folks don't seem to recognize there is no "saving" ourselves if you cannot power your technology, most if not all of the modern technology in the world is not going to matter if you cannot provide fuel for it, which is my entire premise(or at least one of the major ones), we cannot engineer our way out of an overproduced, over-consumptive planet..
Think of all the species on this planet to have ever existed and are now extinct. Progress didn't cause that, rather, the lack of it did.
to fill in the missing context, they didn't exactly have the intellectual capacity that we do for "progress" and even then, i heavily doubt there is any technologies that would allow for species to escape mass extinctions.

we're talking about entire food chains and ecosystems being decimated by cataclysmic events occurring, oxygen levels lowering to the point of many organisms dying as a result and it really doesn't help that the same article you posted is also pointing out the biodiversity collapse we're currently undergoing- stating that...

"extinctions are occurring hundreds of times faster than they would naturally. If all species currently designated as critically endangered, endangered, or vulnerable go extinct in the next century, and if that rate of extinction continues without slowing down, we could approach the level of a mass extinction in as soon as 240 to 540 years.".
If we remained as even more primitive apes then we've might've gone extinct already like the rest of competing hominids.
hmm, in fairness this is probably my fault for unintentionally framing my arguments as an advocacy for (anarcho)primitivism as i'm not deadset on eliminating technology in its entirety or a luddite(although they did have a point in terms of capitalist practices taking away their jobs and not being prepped for alternative ones as a result of industrializing). i'll try to make it more of a habit of disavowing those philosophies so as to not be confused with them.

that being said though, recognizing the fact that we have hard limits to abide by in our environment and that the laws of physics exist means we should have been searching for alternatives sources of energy decades ago back when we had our first oil shock, and be more efficient with the use of fossil fuels back then, as well as keeping our population levels in check.

however with the energy-blind society we live in today- the expectations we have that don't align with the reality we're living in, i fear the moment our reality and expectations collide; we'll see a lot of mass death(famine), despair and chaos all-around.
R.I.P Ziba.