OpenAI Sora actually is dangerous

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
Ozzie guy

OpenAI Sora actually is dangerous

Post by Ozzie guy »

With this kind of technology, people are going to be able to realistically fake other people doing crimes and having sex etc.
Don't even get me started on what governments and companies might do to destroy competition, have excuses for wars etc.
No matter how aware of AI someone is soon they will be tricked by realistic footage and if someone isn't very aware of AI e.g. 95+% of people it is game over.

On the other side of the coin if something evil is exposed e.g. X person on Jeffery Epstein's island being shady they won't be punished. "I'm famous someone just made a deep fake of me".
How many people who actually commit crimes will be able to escape justice by saying X person hates me and made fake footage.

We are heading into an era where anything you don't see in person with your own eyes could be fake.
Powers

Re: OpenAI Sora actually is dangerous

Post by Powers »

Surveillance state? That or very hard AI regulation.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

I think the anti-science and religious shit is far more dangerous. At least A.i gives humanity the chance at breaking free of such bullshit.
Karl Rock

Post by Karl Rock »

Well, people will not believe in anything in the future, not even real videos. So may become a defense against compromising videos, no one believing in anything, so nothing to worry about.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

People wanted cure for cancer and other awful health problems, nuclear fusion, space exploration, clean environment and world peace.

Instead we will be spammed with AI generated texts, calls, images and videos everywhere, causing new problems and social unrest.

Can I please just log out from all of this weirdness and nonsense?
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
TrueAnimationFan

Post by TrueAnimationFan »

Tadasuke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:02 pm Can I please just log out from all of this weirdness and nonsense?
...At this point, you probably should. There are real, physical people you can talk to about such subjects, and this will remain true for a very long time. Having near complete negativity about the future (I know for a fact that you had it before AI was even a widespread concern) won't exactly help the situation either, as it only serves to make depressed people feel even worse than they already are.

Also, some people here are talking about AI-related disasters that haven't even happened yet despite tighter regulations of the technology already being planned. And you've completely ignored the massive leaps in antibiotic research being made using the help of none other than AI algorithms. For that reason and many others, it's just not fair to paint the entirety of AI as a deadly, deceptive force of evil.
Jakob

Post by Jakob »

weatheriscool wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:09 am I think the anti-science and religious shit is far more dangerous. At least A.i gives humanity the chance at breaking free of such bullshit.
Just wait for the AI religions to drop. Not that there's anything inherently dangerous about that.
Jakob

Post by Jakob »

People are rapidly going to stop believing random internet videos with no context, similar to how they've learned not to trust Nigerian princes who randomly appear in their inbox. Sure, the AI video excuse may shield people who do evil shit, but it can also shield people who have, say, had their nudes leaked.

Anyway, 90% of AI generated videos will be stupid memes, 9% will be actually useful and creative stuff, and 1% will be actually nefarious.
Powers

Post by Powers »

Jakob wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:56 pm Just wait for the AI religions to drop. Not that there's anything inherently dangerous about that.
(Those who know, know.)
erowind

Post by erowind »

We're certainly approaching the event horizon. The three most important actions to take are to build strong local communities IRL, Promote environmentalism, and oppose nuclear proliferation at all costs. We have to whether these awful times without destroying the planet until material conditions change enough to undermine the evils of the world.

Even missiles rust and we will forget how to build them one day.