Will their always be futurism?

Talk about scientific and technological developments in the future
Maximum7

Will their always be futurism?

Post by Maximum7 »

I love futurism and probably will for the rest of my life. However, I am afraid of reaching the end of things and many philosophers and scientists believe that technological progress will eventually end. Yet, logic seems to say to me that their will always be futurism because as long as their are people, you will speculate on what comes next. Philosopher Bernard Stiegler says that technology is a law of nature and is always progressing; yet Isaac Arthur seems to think it will come to an end. I’m so confused! I don’t know what to believe.
funkervogt

Re: Will their always be futurism?

Post by funkervogt »

Yes, there will always be futurism, but we will be replaced by machines that are even better at telling the future than we are.
Revolutionary Moderate

Post by Revolutionary Moderate »

Futurism will end when there is no future, such as right before the end of the universe. However, by the time the end of the universe will happen, I think we would have found out if we could prolong the existence of the universe or not, so futurism will continue to exist, as we will continue to exist either in this universe or another one.
The Potato Praiser
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

There's plenty of room at the bottom ( Richard Feynman).

We are nowhere near exhausting the possibilities within the laws of physics.
raklian

Post by raklian »

Revolutionary Moderate wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:58 am Futurism will end when there is no future, such as right before the end of the universe. However, by the time the end of the universe will happen, I think we would have found out if we could prolong the existence of the universe or not, so futurism will continue to exist, as we will continue to exist either in this universe or another one.
The funny thing is that the end of the Universe will still have a future forever. It'll just be dark and cold for eternity.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Jakob

Post by Jakob »

As long as sentient beings exist somewhere in the universe,they'll likely speculate about the future. Of course, the idea that the future will include massive scientific and technological advancements is a modern one and may not be a widely held view forever.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Our current mode of futurism is a historically strange one. Perhaps it would be prudent to imagine a far-future futurism as being similar to an ancient one. The ancients did think about the future, but it was very different from how we perceive it, and they didn't imagine much would change because, honestly, not much did even across centuries.

In a society where we've all but maxed out certain sci-tech developments, things might seem familiar...
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Maximum7

Post by Maximum7 »

Oh, so you believe technological advancement will come to an end someday?
Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Maximum7 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:49 pm Oh, so you believe technological advancement will come to an end someday?
Not an end per se, but once the low hanging fruit is picked, it will probably revert to incremental progress like it was for most of human history. Things will still be discovered but the everyday life of average people won't change by much over decades and centuries. Could be as little as 2-3 centuries from now, I'd guess.