After Proto AGI will we get UBI nearly instantly?

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
Ozzie guy

After Proto AGI will we get UBI nearly instantly?

Post by Ozzie guy »

I was thinking after the release of proto AGI (which very well could happen in 6 months or less) will humanity rapidly adopt UBI?

I imagine proto AGI will create so much wealth and destruction of jobs (with better and better AI still releasing) that governments will be forced to adopt UBI rapidly because an emergency will be happening in employment. When one business adopts proto AGI others will have to as well in order to compete (or they will get taken over by a business that does).

I imagine UBI will take about 2 years after proto AGI's release and we will feel like a soft take off is happening (although its not) as we will all literally be competing with AI for employment.
Yuli Ban

Re: After Proto AGI will we get UBI nearly instantly?

Post by Yuli Ban »

Not immediately.

Especially not in places like the USA. Maybe very forward thinking countries like Sweden and Singapore, but proto-AGI will be too expensive to run to automate the majority of the planet for at least five years, even with an API release. That'll be our grace period.

As I fully expect a Republican presidency in 2024, my response to any UBI in America this decade is "Hahahaha, good one!"

Also, six months? Not with this global supply shortage and lockdowns still in place. 2024 seems like a better bet. Of course, I'd love to be wrong, especially with war looming in Eastern Europe.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

Yuli Ban wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:29 am Also, six months? Not with this global supply shortage and lockdowns still in place. 2024 seems like a better bet. Of course, I'd love to be wrong, especially with war looming in Eastern Europe.
Ahh that's a shame may I ask if it likely already exists in a lab why hasn't the 2024 date budged, do you mean because it will take another 3 years for it to be rolled out at all?
andmar74

Post by andmar74 »

Don't forget robotics is nowhere near good enough to replace human labor in many situations.
raklian

Post by raklian »

andmar74 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:03 am Don't forget robotics is nowhere near good enough to replace human labor in many situations.
True, but I suspect it'll rapidly change after 2025. It's like dripping water on empty Michigan Lake taking forever to fill it but suddenly it's already full right at the very end.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.