Antiwork movement

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
Ozzie guy

Antiwork movement

Post by Ozzie guy »

A movement called the anti work movement has been rapidly growing.
I didn't think much of it at first.
I was listening to a psychiatrists YouTube video and he brought up the anti work movement saying it might be because of mass automation and people thinking they don't need to work.

Do you think automation is behind the anti work movement (which is a movement that also fuels automation) and what does it mean for our future?
I guess my opinion would be an earlier UBI because as a cohesive group that is probably the one thing they all want. As I mentioned by choosing to minimize work and getting others to do the same they are also speeding up automation.
Ken_J

Re: Anti Work movement.

Post by Ken_J »

nah, anti work as it's come most recently comes more from the fact that we all knew for a long time that we do a lot of bullshit busy work, but when the pandemic hit and you started to and so many jobs just cut people lose and the sense of security evaporated for so many people they started to question the space in their lives they had made for work. Thinking about work life balance and wondering why the idea of working for others gets to claim a big chunk of each of our existences when we are so easily expendable to those we devote a portion of our lives to. Then we saw exactly what was essential when non-essential jobs where canceled.

There were elements of the work from home groups too. where people realized that hour commutes and traffic jams were bullshit for micromanagers to stand over our shoulders and crack whips, and the data suggested we were more productive and happier when we could work from home. But those we made space in our lives for didn't want us to have that.

There was some of the "I don't dream of labor" when that response came to the question of what does your dream job look like. And when it was said of the workers not returning to shit wages and abusive managers "People don't want to work.", they responded, "People didn't do most of these jobs because they wanted to, they did them because they got paid to do them. They just had a wake up call that they had been setting the price of their limited lifetime too low and you've been taking advantage of them."

and so the question become, how much of your life are you willing to sell, and at what price, and what do you wish to do in the life portion of the work life balance if you are getting more on that side of the equation now. And the question of what really needs to be done in the world and isn't just bullshit work to keep the peons occupied and moving numbers around in ledgers to enrich others.

Then maybe there is room for the explorations of automation in the discussion. such as how increasing ability of a single person to farm enough food for millions of people. and other leaps in ability of the needed work to be done by fewer people. Which brings around the awareness that the workload is so much lighter to produce everything needed, then maybe it doesn't make sense anymore to work sun rise to sun set for a company. Maybe 8 hours a week is all we'd need from each person in our society to meeet all our needs. But some people would never allow that to happen.
wjfox
Site Admin

Re: Antiwork movement

Post by wjfox »

Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

I have deleted this post through editing.
Last edited by Ozzie guy on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
erowind

Post by erowind »

This is such a spectacle. The movement isn't collapsing. For one, it's on the internet, for two, it's on reddit, for three other gathering places will harness that same angst if not r/antiwork, for four union organizing and working class militancy is on the rise in the US and revolutionary activity is rising in many countries around the world.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

erowind wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:13 am This is such a spectacle. The movement isn't collapsing. For one, it's on the internet, for two, it's on reddit, for three other gathering places will harness that same angst if not r/antiwork, for four union organizing and working class militancy is on the rise in the US and revolutionary activity is rising in many countries around the world.
I am sorry and will take your word for it. I probably got caught up in the hype/memes of what was happening. No investigation no right to speak I have not been apart of AntiWork and shouldn't have spoken about it.
weatheriscool

Post by weatheriscool »

I think the best way forward is to make work a choice! Use A.i and robotics to feed and provide the basics and allow for life enhancement through work if the individual wishes.
erowind

Post by erowind »

Set and Meet Goals wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:54 am
erowind wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:13 am This is such a spectacle. The movement isn't collapsing. For one, it's on the internet, for two, it's on reddit, for three other gathering places will harness that same angst if not r/antiwork, for four union organizing and working class militancy is on the rise in the US and revolutionary activity is rising in many countries around the world.
I am sorry and will take your word for it. I probably got caught up in the hype/memes of what was happening. No investigation no right to speak I have not been apart of AntiWork and shouldn't have spoken about it.
No no not at all. Please, voice your thoughts! I'm no arbiter of truth and you're more than qualified to speak on this topic. You're working class, you're on the internet. It's all good girl.

I come on really strong, always have on this forum. It's simply the culture that's formed here for myself, apologies for that too. I don't mean to make you feel bad.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

erowind wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:46 am
Set and Meet Goals wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:54 am
No no not at all. Please, voice your thoughts! I'm no arbiter of truth and you're more than qualified to speak on this topic. You're working class, you're on the internet. It's all good girl.

I come on really strong, always have on this forum. It's simply the culture that's formed here for myself, apologies for that too. I don't mean to make you feel bad.
It's fine I don't feel bad, I was just apologising for commenting on something I didn't know well enough that was also close to your heart.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

See comments on YouTube for context. :oops:

Furore has erupted on r/antiwork over this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/