West Side Story Revisited

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
caltrek

West Side Story Revisited

Post by caltrek »

I personally have not seen the new version, but I do have a vague memory of the old version. For those who have no such memory, think "Romeo and Juliet."

‘West Side Story’ Misses the Mark
by Cristina Escobar

https://www.latinorebels.com/2021/12/10/wssreview/

Introduction:
Oh, West Side Story. What are we going to do with you? You’re like our tío‘s first wife who won’t stop showing up at family functions. And here you are making this Christmas all about you.

To be fair, the 2021 film version, out December 10, features amazing performances by Ariana DeBose and Rachel Zegler as Anita and María respectively. And director Steven Spielberg is a household name because he knows how to deliver visually stunning movies that appeal to broad audiences. His West Side Story is just that—charismatic people, delightful visuals, movie magic.

If you watch film as Anita and María’s story, there’s plenty to enjoy. They took out the most offensive lines in “America,” and DeBose uses the number to radiate charisma, bringing the entire neighborhood into her playful teasing of David Alvarez’s Bernardo. Likewise, Zegler shines in her duets, her alto soaring with a mixture of naivety and the teen disposition for risk that’s perfect for the role. They both bring real human emotions to the film’s melodrama, particularly in the final heartbreaking moments. In the end, their bodies appear small and vulnerable on the big screen, but their presence and power determine the narrative. It’s great work and they should be applauded for it.

The problem, of course, is that this is not actually their film. West Side Story is about the men and their racial conflict—and I’m not sure that bit can be fixed, though Spielberg and screenplay writer Tony Kushner have tried to make it better. For one, they actually cast Latinx people to fill all the Puerto Rican roles. There’s a line at the beginning explaining that Puerto Rico is part of the United States—always a good reminder for gringo audiences.

There’s more Spanish —and it’s not subtitled!— making the film both more realistic and pulling up a special chair for Latinx audiences. And the Doc character has been replaced by Rita Moreno as Valentina in a marked improvement.
Further Extract:
But the Romeo and Juliet basis for the film fundamentally places the two groups on equal footing—and that’s a dangerous message for us today with white supremacy, violence, and discontent on the rise. I don’t think we need a film that “both sides” the situation.
caltrek's comment:
a special chair for Latinx audiences
As a bit of an aside, I have come to cringe every time I come across the word "Latinx." Basically, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that it is an English word for people who don't understand Spanish. Mind you, some very literate and well-educated Hispanics have started to use the word. I suspect, only because they want to communicate the word "Latino" or "Latinos" to their gringo friends. "Latinos" is plural and inclusive of the female. By extension, it is also inclusive of anything in-between, such as transgendered people who may have not yet completed the transitional process. Anyway, this is all IMHO.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill