Things people will be nostalgic for in 40 years

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
Tadasuke

Re: Things people will be nostalgic for in 40 years

Post by Tadasuke »

Being nostalgic about something means that there's something not great with the current state of things.

For example I'm a bit nostalgic about going with a friend to a shop to buy a video game on a CD or a DVD. Finished, without DLC and microtransactions. I'm nostalgic about buying twice more RAM after 18 months for the same price. I'm nostalgic about the jump we saw between GBA and PSP. I'm nostalgic how magical if first felt to use the WWW on mobile or do other smartphone things. I'm nostalgic about the ease of meeting with people my age, not planning a rendezvous two weeks earlier. I'm nostalgic about how MMORPGs were better in gameplay terms compared to now. I'm nostalgic about us having more free time to do stuff together or alone. I'm nostalgic about an association we had, that's no longer functional. I'm nostalgic of not taking face masks. I'm nostalgic about eating unhealthy foods and drinks and not caring about it. Etc.

If we are going to be nostalgic about something from 2022, then it means that 2062 won't be that good, which I hope is not the case. I'm not nostalgic about things that were clearly bad and felt bad. Perhaps some people are, but not me. I'm nostalgic only about things that felt good. Like meeting with 4 or more people to play Mario Party on Nintendo 64 or talking with some people who are no longer alive.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
erowind

Post by erowind »

sm_max

Post by sm_max »

It's hard to say what sorts of things I'll be nostalgic for in 40 years. Maybe it will be the way my phone can seamlessly connect me to anyone in the world, or how I can use GPS to find my way anywhere. Perhaps it will be the way I can instantly access any piece of information that I need, or how I can shop for anything online and have it delivered to my doorstep. It's both funny and sad to think about it at the same time... :)
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

raklian wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:21 pm We'll be nostalgic for gray/white hair and wrinkled or sagged skin. ;)
That would be hilarious! After getting over the fact aging is slowly phasing out as a concept its going to become even more awesome!

To answer the thread's question - Maybe people will be nostalgic for hand made clothing items in 40 years? Dunno. Once nanotech clothing really gets going no one will think much about it I guess.
citali_

Post by citali_ »

The good old days
Family dinners
Vintage fashion
Camping
Shopping in person
Clothing made of certain materials like cotton and satin
Indie singer/songwriter
https://youtu.be/Q_NhbSsz9ko