Things people will be nostalgic for in 40 years

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
funkervogt

Things people will be nostalgic for in 40 years

Post by funkervogt »

What do you folks think?
1. "Ad free spaces."
2. "Privacy? I hope this won't be the case."
3. "Spring and fall, instead of COLD AS SHIT and ON FIRE."
4. "Not having an app for everything."
5. "Probably the feeling of a real book."
6. "Small/local businesses. Like mom and pop shops. They’re closing left and right in my area."
7. "A world without immersive VR (I just assume that immersive VR will be much more prominent in the future, just like smartphones are today, even though they only came about in the mid- to late 2000s)."
8. "Items like chocolate chips that didn’t cost a shit ton of money."
9. "Interacting with people in the real world."
10. "In all seriousness, nature. Pristine spots have turned into tourist destinations all over the world."
11. "Non-digital money."
12. "Going to the extremes on this one, but I’ll say meat, as I feel like we will transition to a primarily vegetarian diet, with meat being a rarity or luxury."
13. "Ownership. Everything is moving toward rental/subscription services for every conceivable item in our lives."
14. "Snow days. I doubt snow days are going to be a thing going forward. Kids will just have remote learning days, which blows because snow days were the absolute best."
15. Driving your own car. I imagine that by then the car will do the driving for us.
16. "Going to see a movie in the theater I think, sadly!"
17. "Honestly, Instagram! Most social media! Reddit, even. I honestly doubt most of the SNS apps popular today will be around in the future."
18. "Their childhoods. As always. Every generation always believes the decade of their upbringing was the 'things were so much simpler and easier' days."
https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/t ... n-40-years
R8Z

Re: Things people will be nostalgic for in 40 years

Post by R8Z »

I think the author wasn't much adventurous in their predictions; in 40 years we will be a insanely different society if the tech progress continues (we can't really predict what's coming next, just like almost no-one predicted the widespread use of internet and cellphones).

Here's my take on their predicitions:

Agree = :mrgreen:
Disagree = :oops:
funkervogt wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:37 pm What do you folks think?
1. :oops: "Ad free spaces."
2. :oops: "Privacy? I hope this won't be the case."
3. :oops: "Spring and fall, instead of COLD AS SHIT and ON FIRE."
4. :mrgreen: "Not having an app for everything."
5. :mrgreen: "Probably the feeling of a real book."
6. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: "Small/local businesses. Like mom and pop shops. They’re closing left and right in my area."
7. :mrgreen: "A world without immersive VR (I just assume that immersive VR will be much more prominent in the future, just like smartphones are today, even though they only came about in the mid- to late 2000s)."
8. :oops: "Items like chocolate chips that didn’t cost a shit ton of money."
9. :mrgreen: "Interacting with people in the real world."
10. :mrgreen: "In all seriousness, nature. Pristine spots have turned into tourist destinations all over the world."
11. :mrgreen: "Non-digital money."
12. :oops: "Going to the extremes on this one, but I’ll say meat, as I feel like we will transition to a primarily vegetarian diet, with meat being a rarity or luxury."
13. :mrgreen: "Ownership. Everything is moving toward rental/subscription services for every conceivable item in our lives."
14. :mrgreen: "Snow days. I doubt snow days are going to be a thing going forward. Kids will just have remote learning days, which blows because snow days were the absolute best."
15. :mrgreen: Driving your own car. I imagine that by then the car will do the driving for us.
16. :oops: "Going to see a movie in the theater I think, sadly!"
17. :mrgreen: "Honestly, Instagram! Most social media! Reddit, even. I honestly doubt most of the SNS apps popular today will be around in the future."
18. :mrgreen: "Their childhoods. As always. Every generation always believes the decade of their upbringing was the 'things were so much simpler and easier' days."
And, as always, bye bye.
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

Youtube
The site will be dead and will be remembered as revolutionary for it's time.
Doozer

Post by Doozer »

iPads.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

The days of human-created media being dominant is a great possibility.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
citali_

Post by citali_ »

Simpler times.
Any decade before the 2010s.
Indie singer/songwriter
https://youtu.be/Q_NhbSsz9ko
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

I hope nothing, cuz everything will be better. But probably people will still find things to be nostalgic about. I'm not nostalgic about anything from 1982, but I am nostalgic about some things from 2002. Were things really that good, or we only remember them in that way? I remember watching Iraq war on TV and thinking "that's almost like in a video game!" XD
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
citali_

Post by citali_ »

Tadasuke wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:02 am I hope nothing, cuz everything will be better. But probably people will still find things to be nostalgic about. I'm not nostalgic about anything from 1982, but I am nostalgic about some things from 2002. Were things really that good, or we only remember them in that way? I remember watching Iraq war on TV and thinking "that's almost like in a video game!" XD
I too believe that things will get better in the next decade(the 2030s). But nostalgia will always be there in our minds.
Indie singer/songwriter
https://youtu.be/Q_NhbSsz9ko
bretbernhoft

Post by bretbernhoft »

I imagine that in 40 years, people will be nostalgic for two-dimensional, flat screens/displays; also for using the keyboard and mouse to interface with computers.
I am a JavaScript Developer, who loves learning; especially when solving challenges as part of making unique applications for Internet users throughout the global Web. I began my journey in technology with WordPress and Web Analytics. More recently I've been working with React, TypeScript, Tailwind CSS, JavaScript, Vite, Node, Git, Netlify, Quickbase and RESTful JSON APIs.
raklian

Post by raklian »

We'll be nostalgic for gray/white hair and wrinkled or sagged skin. ;)
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.