A borderless world – when and how?

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
wjfox
Site Admin

A borderless world – when and how?

Post by wjfox »

This was mentioned briefly in the Canada thread, so let's have a discussion on it.

A world in which countries have no borders, country's names are just ways of identifying land areas, and humanity has merged into one giant mixture of peoples and cultures. Everyone is free to come and go as they please.

Could this ever happen? Ever?

If so, when and how? In stages, or all at once? Could technology help to address concerns over security, resource allocation, etc.?

I'm hoping it happens in the 22nd century, but I suspect it will take much longer to come about, owing to cultural differences and ingrained prejudices. Current economic blocs will probably do it first, and it's already possible to a certain extent with the EU. But the kind of world I'm talking about would be even more porous, i.e. doing away with all passports, visas, or other travel documentation, except perhaps in exceptional circumstances.

Ozzie guy

Re: A borderless world – when and how?

Post by Ozzie guy »

wjfox wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:17 am This was mentioned briefly in the Canada thread, so let's have a discussion on it.

A world in which countries have no borders, country's names are just ways of identifying land areas, and humanity has merged into one giant mixture of peoples and cultures. Everyone is free to come and go as they please.

Could this ever happen? Ever?

If so, when and how? In stages, or all at once? Could technology help to address concerns over security, resource allocation, etc.?

I'm hoping it happens in the 22nd century, but I suspect it will take much longer to come about, owing to cultural differences and ingrained prejudices. Current economic blocs will probably do it first, and it's already possible to a certain extent with the EU. But the kind of world I'm talking about would be even more porous, i.e. doing away with all passports, visas, or other travel documentation, except perhaps in exceptional circumstances.

I think it will occur when humanity is firmly entrenched on other planets. When we are on other planets countries will feel akin to states or cities in the early 21st century and the world will reflect it. If we are going by mainstream societys view this feels like a 25th/26th century thing.

Of course I could throw out the obligatory after the singularity and it could occur sometime between mainstream and singularity opinions.

It would also occur if global communism is reached but like saying "after the singularity" it feels like a poor non mainstream judgement to make.
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

There's the hypothesis that the emergence of a strong supra-national currency would be able to at least blur the lines between borders as more and more people start using a currency that is not regulated by a determined piece of land. The users of such global currency might live cross borders and make business between them, they would use a different judicial system to solve contracts in contrast to their local systems and avoid local bureaucrats as they have no way to fiddle with their transactions (with the exception of using clear-cut force to block them, aka guns to the head). The use of such supra-national currency *strongly* weakens the power a local government has as it undermines the collection of a cut of these transactions; then it would have no way to purchase its way into power by hiring armed enforcers of their arbitrary rules. Therefore borders weaken. Note that any "services" that the bureaucrats promised would also slowly become more and more limited as government loses income and their currencies hyperinflate due to undiligent currency generation (printing). Once such currency comes to light it's going to be a self-reinforcing loop due to the reasons I've listed above, any country that doesn't go into a full dictatorship and block it will slowly lose the grasp on the neck of "their citizens".

At some point in time I was a strong proponent of cryptocurrencies to fill that gap, but the more time passes it seems that the technology of our time by itself won't do the trick to ensure a trustworthy foundation for people to transact and rely with their savings and contracts. DEFI (decentralized finance, smart contracts) also with the current technology doesn't solve this problem in a manner that is usable for this purpose, as we can see by it's low usage in real use-cases. It's not that the tech is not good, it's just that people don't trust it enough. Maybe time will solve this?

Anyway, I still think the emergence of such currency is possible given enough time, but it will require either (1) a strong corporation to back it somehow (think Libra and Meta) to be able to enforce contracts and the purchasing power; but then you have all the problems of a central bank that most countries currently have (won't go in such tangent); or (2) the automatic backing of that currency for something meaningful, like a commodity, just like the long lasting currencies used to have. I think maybe energy credits could be the way to go, but I am not sure. Automatic backing of contracts like in DEFI would also be a requirement to ensure trust in this energy-backed-currency. The reason we stopped transactions with commodities was because how inconvenient it was to transfer large amounts. We won't go back in that direction so this have to be taken into account.
And, as always, bye bye.
PrometheusUnbound

Post by PrometheusUnbound »

I think a key challenge is to organize solidarity in a borderless world: pension funds, affordable healthcare, benefits for the sick and unemployed, education funding etc. A world where all this is arranged individually is a dystopia for me, and I think for most Europeans. But that also means we cannot have fully open borders, you would get a free-rider problem. This issue would be less for countries with lower taxes and fewer social services.

Could international communities of like-minded people organize solidarity in some kind of global networks? Would that be a solution for all, or only a way for the (relatively) wealthy to support each other, increasing inequality?
R8Z

Post by R8Z »

PrometheusUnbound wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:56 pm I think a key challenge is to organize solidarity in a borderless world: pension funds, affordable healthcare, benefits for the sick and unemployed, education funding etc. A world where all this is arranged individually is a dystopia for me, and I think for most Europeans. But that also means we cannot have fully open borders, you would get a free-rider problem. This issue would be less for countries with lower taxes and fewer social services.

Could international communities of like-minded people organize solidarity in some kind of global networks? Would that be a solution for all, or only a way for the (relatively) wealthy to support each other, increasing inequality?
I think this is a very good idea and something that could happen if my above post becomes true: people that think alike join together and form "a country" that is actually non-existent in maps but is able to exist in a way with the technology. Sort of like a private insurance but for much more than just health.
And, as always, bye bye.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

I hope that European Union will unify to make a one, large country. Unifying the whole planet is too much for the near future. I think unifying EU countries will happen in the 2040s or 2050s, becoming like the United States of America, but United States of Europe instead. It will cause mostly positive change. I don't know about UK, Norway or Switzerland.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Tadasuke wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:03 pm
I don't know about UK, Norway or Switzerland.
UK will break up into its constituent parts in the coming years/decades. Scotland will go first (~2025-2030), then Northern Ireland will unify with Ireland (circa 2035), probably followed by Wales (~2040), leaving England on its own. Scotland, NI, and Wales will all rejoin the EU quickly. However, I don't see England rejoining anytime soon. This country is just too right-wing, and fanatically anti-immigrant.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

If Skynet defeats humanity and takes over the world, it will all be one country.
Lurking

Post by Lurking »

^ it will all be one entity
Internet used to be an escape from the real world.
Now the real world is an escape from internet.
Nanotechandmorefuture

Post by Nanotechandmorefuture »

The Schengen zone is a start to the borderless world. I suppose expanding it would require global agreement with everything especially through tech.
As to where exactly the base of operations for all this will be who knows once it is global or being declared in the works.