The United States in 2076

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead

Which scenario is most likely for 2076?

1. Expansion – The U.S. expands beyond its current borders, with Canada and/or Mexico being annexed or voluntarily unifying, either partially or fully.
14%
2. Status quo – The U.S. remains largely the same as in 2022, with little or no change to its territory or unity.
43%
3. Balkanisation – The U.S. becomes divided into two, or perhaps several independent regions (e.g. north and south, or coastal areas), each with its own government.
29%
4. Extreme balkanisation – Severe political, economic, environmental or other turmoil has resulted in a breakdown of the U.S. into dozens or even hundreds of separate entities.
4%
5. Total collapse – Climate change, war, and/or other existential threats are so catastrophic, the U.S. effectively no longer exists. Most or all of the country is in anarchy.
11%

Total votes: 28

MythOfProgress

Re: The United States in 2076

Post by MythOfProgress »

pretty sure we'll hit a collapse long before 2076 comes around, considering we are on the verge of another recession and will continue on our downward trajectory which will be followed by exponential declines in most sectors(energy, infrastructure, agriculture, forestry, food retail, transport just to name a few).

i foresee a future in which we'll be forced to sift through our e-waste in a vain attempt to mine for lithium and precious metals needed for the construction of our gadgets as it proves unsustainable to mine the earth and outsource jobs to other countries(like China), a BOE(blue ocean event) will eventually hit us and cause a massive loss of life(thereby starting a death spiral for most forms of multicellular life)as a result of the atmospheric and ocean currents being disrupted and our inability to adapt to rapidly altering environments.

the government will resort to autocratic measures to keep the peace as our politically charged environment grows ever more tense and the reactionary elements fester leading to further breakdown of what little social order that exists.
optimistically speaking, the united states in 2076 will become something of a vestigial empire remaining on its last legs, long past its glory days with only a crumbling society to look forwards to, realistically speaking the united states in 2076 may not exist at all and the only thing left are the ruins of a once-great(not really) society.
R.I.P Ziba.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

I predict that the U.S. economy will be around 330 trillion USD in 2021 dollars in 2076 (it was 23 trillion last year for comparison). This is because of robots, AI, automation. Unfortunately, the rich will get richer faster than the poor and even UBI won't alleviate this completely. But, thanks to greater knowledge, better medicine, automation and UBI, all metrics of living will get better for everyone. In the 2030s, Andrew Yang will become the president.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

I think AOC will become President at some point. Or at least Vice President.
Bird

Post by Bird »

wjfox wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:01 am I think AOC will become President at some point. Or at least Vice President.
I think this is likely, also, though not for a while yet.

I voted for option 3 in the 2076 poll, with the caveat that I'm not sure and not American. I don't think I quite know enough about USA cultural issues by territory to say whether they're severe enough to cause an actual legal secession or other split, much less how things will be in 54 years. Certain beliefs might have declined in relevancy, certain types of (presently old) people have might have died off.

Upon writing this out, maybe I should have selected option 2. That of course refers purely to the statement of "little change to its territory or unity". I think there's a good chance the USA will be territorially the same.

I'd put options 2 and 3 as likely, option 4 as possible, options 1 and 5 as highly unlikely.
I'm just a bird who escapes his cage to post here sometimes.
Lorem Ipsum

Post by Lorem Ipsum »

2.5 - Mainland US (+ Alaska) may divide or lose one or more states in the future, but not for much years and will be reunified by 2076 following an aggressive campaign probably under an authoritarian government.
Last edited by Lorem Ipsum on Wed May 25, 2022 12:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Texas Could Secede From U.S. in 2023 as GOP Pushes for Referendum

BY KHALEDA RAHMAN
ON 6/20/22 AT 5:51 AM EDT

Texas Republicans are pushing for a referendum to decide whether the state should secede from the U.S.

The demand for Texans to be allowed to vote on the issue in 2023 was one of many measures adopted in the Texas GOP's party platform following last week's state convention in Houston.

Under a section titled "State Sovereignty," the platform states: "Pursuant to Article 1, Section 1, of the Texas Constitution, the federal government has impaired our right of local self-government. Therefore, federally mandated legislation that infringes upon the 10th Amendment rights of Texas should be ignored, opposed, refused, and nullified.

"Texas retains the right to secede from the United States, and the Texas Legislature should be called upon to pass a referendum consistent thereto."

In another section on state governance, the platform states that Texas Republicans want the state Legislature to pass a bill in its next session "requiring a referendum in the 2023 general election for the people of Texas to determine whether or not the State of Texas should reassert its status as an independent nation."

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-secede-u ... um-1717254
Lorem Ipsum

Post by Lorem Ipsum »

^ There's no way they suceed for now
Sounds pretty clickbaitty tbh
joe00uk

Post by joe00uk »

Lorem Ipsum wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:37 pm ^ There's no way they suceed for now
Sounds pretty clickbaitty tbh
Agreed. Right now? No way. In 20 years' time? That will probably be a whole other story.
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

R8Z

Post by R8Z »

I've been hearing a lot over at forums about a "national divorce" for the US.

For the Americans: is it really being considered in mainstream discussions or just another fringe idea? Personally I think a pacific separation of people with different ideals would be the perfect scenario for America, although quite unrealistic.
And, as always, bye bye.