Fashion in the 2030s, 2040s

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
Tadasuke

Re: Fashion in the 2030s, 2040s

Post by Tadasuke »

I naively hope (like for everything) for people in the 2030s and 2040s to clothe themselves more decently and elegantly. Not like these days. I don't like current "fashion" and exposing yourself indecently or wearing weird clothes. I don't understand why are people so eager these days to show their bodies instead of clothes (or even worse - to show their tattoos). Human bodies ought to be covered with layers of clothing, because they don't look good enough by themselves to show them off and human body is so frail, that it's better well covered. I hope that some older fashion choices come back. The whole "body positivity" movement is stupid, awful and nonsensical. Someone could tell me that "You watch anime and girls there often wear revealing, daring clothes, so why you say that?". My answer is to not mix reality and fiction. Anime girls are fictional and super cute. Real people are something else. Like you could potentially be whoever you want in VRChat, but you are who you are in real life and you can't change that much. However, I'm all for fitness, healthy dining and even cosmetic surgery (to a reasonable extent). But to be honest, I have no idea what truly future fashion will be. Probably something I won't like.

Examples of appropriate, acceptable, decent apparels from years gone by:

Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

Not like these days. I don't like current "fashion" and exposing yourself indecently or wearing weird clothes. I don't understand why are people so eager these days to show their bodies instead of clothes (or even worse - to show their tattoos).
well (un)fortunately they aren't dressing for you-they're dressing for themselves, sorry to say not everyone acquiesces to your standards of apparel, some people actually do like their bodies and feel relatively good in it; so if they're not hurting anyone physically i don't see much point to holding shame for them- taking a look at the images, i'm not entirely too surprised those are the images you picked in the first place- says enough on its own that a man had to decide what "his" woman would wear(or not wear) during those times or society's expectations of women in general.
The whole "body positivity" movement is stupid, awful and nonsensical.
you kind of have to explain more as to why this is the case- if you're coming up with a strawman that states that "people want to normalize and accept morbid obesity" you're already coming at this from the wrong angle- it's more so a rejection of idealized body types considering a higher percentage of the female population struggles with body dysmorphia, eating disorders and self-image issues as a result of patriarchal attitudes and behaviors that place a higher emphasis on the ideal body type(thin, hourglass figure with wide hips and narrow waist).

as i said before- it's not about you or how jerk-offable a girl seems to you- it's just giving people some peace of mind when it comes to their figures. that said, i'm not too big(no pun intended) on conflating body positivity with encouraging morbid obesity- so it'd definitely help if you got to look at it from the female perspective.
R.I.P Ziba.
peekpok

Post by peekpok »

Looking at how 80s and 90s fashion elements have made a resurgence and been popular for several years now, its possible that we're not far off from 2000s fashion making a comeback, starting with frosted tips and progressing into goth shit, emo and scene. I'd kinda be looking forward to that, honestly.
erowind

Post by erowind »

I feel obligated to post some examples of clothing in the past being more liberating than the stuffy idealizations posted above. Hopefully the clothing trends of the future keep trending towards greater freedom of expression and body positivity for all.

Pagans in pre-Christian Europe hardly dressed in a way that was restrictive or wholly covered. It's rather impracticable to dress like that while doing any kind of real work for that matter.

Ancient Greek women and men wore a variety of dress depending on the context, there wasn't so much a fear of nudity as there has been these past few hundred years and many cultures over the centuries shared this sentiment. The Greeks in particular often held sports competitions nude.

Might as well throw some makeup in there too. Persian emperors where known to wear eyeliner and colorful ornate dress, don't let them catch you insulting their masculinity over it though, they'd be apt to literally cut your tongue off over such an insult.

And finally a bunch of Mexica clothing from pre-conquest times.

Last edited by erowind on Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
erowind

Post by erowind »

I don't hate all ornate clothing that covers the whole body either. A full dress can be stunning. I love modern hanfu and historical Chinese dress, but it should hardly be mandatory or encouraged for ideological reasons.

Tadasuke

Fashion, body positivity, future, my view.

Post by Tadasuke »

I really hate the whole "body positivity" movement. It directly goes against my long held principles and beliefs.

I believe that beauty is objective. We ought to hide what is ugly and display, exhibit what is beautiful. Some people don't get that.

I understand that not everyone shares my ideas, beliefs and preferences. But I wish the future does turn out more pleasing to the eye than the present.

I myself wear practical and modest clothes. Mostly long trousers with pockets, t-shirt and a long shirt with pockets on that. Plus sunglasses and a hat. That's my style.
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
erowind

Re: Fashion, body positivity, future, my view.

Post by erowind »

Tadasuke wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:38 pm I really hate the whole "body positivity" movement. It directly goes against my long held principles and beliefs.

I believe that beauty is objective. We ought to hide what is ugly and display, exhibit what is beautiful. Some people don't get that.

I understand that not everyone shares my ideas, beliefs and preferences. But I wish the future does turn out more pleasing to the eye than the present.
Your statement is objectively wrong. Opinions can be objectively wrong. Different cultures throughout history into the modern day have/has different subjective standards of beauty as clearly demonstrated not just by my post but by merely reading history or looking outside one's own cultural group in the modern day, this is not a matter of debate, it is a 2+2 of established anthropology. This subjective variance in cultural norms is itself an objective observation.
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

I believe that beauty is objective. We ought to hide what is ugly and display, exhibit what is beautiful.
on some level you're not necessarily wrong, eurocentric beauty standards do seem to dominate most of the market here in the west and even influences social media to some extent, dictating(for lack of a better word) what people see as beautiful or ugly, concurrently i'm sure most queer folk can agree on certain individuals having good facial/body structures even if they're not specially attracted to them. so to expand on your statement, while beauty may be "objective", your attraction to certain features is "subjective".
which is why you have to define who's eyes, yours? mine? society's? not gonna lie and say that there isn't an baseline to be met(as can be indicated by those with pretty privilege or anyone unlucky enough to suffer from lookism; YouTuber Qoves Studio analyses this in some of their videos), but in certain cultures, be they eurocentric, east asian, south asian, afrocentric, etc you'll most likely suffer in some capacity as you may not have a beauty feature that's highly regarded in one of them- making you "ugly" in some capacity.
R.I.P Ziba.
40lightyears

Post by 40lightyears »

Well, there will definitely be major changes. Of course the basic items will remain, and everything will evolve from there. However, I am sure the colours and designs will surprise us.
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

If people in the future will look even uglier and weirder than they look today, then I will just never leave the house and do everything through the Internet. Simple as that. I am adamant in my stances and views since the 2000s. Even wrote down them many years ago. I was born to experience reality I thoroughly hate, and I am told to just accept that and be tolerant to nearly everything. How about no?

Probably fashion in the 2030s and 2040s will be more individualistic, even potentially sometimes using 3D printing or customized orders. These days people do wear different (sometimes expensive) clothes, dye their hair, do make-up, get tattoos and piercings. They don't look better because of that. Genetic engineering, medicine, proper fitness, healthy eating/drinking and cosmetic surgeries or treatments (like permanent hair removal) are the only ways to actually look better. Clothes are not you, you are not clothes. Or piercings, or tattoos. They are only additions. Accessories.