Fashion in the 2030s, 2040s

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
citali_

Fashion in the 2030s, 2040s

Post by citali_ »

For anyone who into fashion and clothing, I hope to see major changes in the fashion industry during the 2030s. It seems we've been recycling fads and fashion from the past, and mixing them up with currents fads. That definitely needs to stop. I really want to see some new and unusual fashion trends. I have soo many ideas for what could be future fashion! And I'm not even a designer. For the most part, I am excited because I have a feeling that fashion in the next 10 or 20 years will change.
Indie singer/songwriter
https://youtu.be/Q_NhbSsz9ko
funkervogt

Re: Fashion in the 2030s, 2040s

Post by funkervogt »

I hope there will be advancements in sweatpants and sandals since that's what I'll still be wearing.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

I mean, I don't see recycling old styles and trends and mixing them with new ones ever ending. That's just how fashion is. We're always going to recycle, change, and mix what's come before. People 100 years from now will probably still be wearing denim jeans. If we're really lucky, jeggings will come back in fashion.

However, I do see new trends occurring. Remember when clothes with light up LEDs first arrived, and they were kind of chintzy? Yeah, imagine that but if it had been actually cool and interesting. You decide what images the lights form, you can have them change color, you can have them blink on and off in intervals you decide, all on an app. You can have a sweater with a scrawling flow of text, and you get to pick the text and change it whenever you want for instance.

It's not the same as say, a blouse that changes colors to your whim, we're still off a good 20-30 years for that probably, but it's something.

We'll also have a lot of sensors in our clothing, so it can detect your blood sugar from your sweat or whatever, but strictly speaking that's not a part of the fashion element. Unless you have the LEDs in your shirt blink red if your blood sugar is too high or something, then it kind of becomes fashion.
karlmarxbl6

Post by karlmarxbl6 »

Advancements are going on in every field. From fashion to technology, everything is changing.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

In the 2050s:
Personal “cloaking devices” made of clothes studded with pinhole cameras and thin, flexible sheets of LEDs, colored e-ink, or some metamaterial with similar abilities will be commercially available. The cameras will monitor the appearance of the person’s surroundings and tell the display pixels to change their colors to match.

The “cloaking” outfits will also have benign applications related to fashion and everyday utility. People wearing them could use them to display morphing patterns and colors of their choice. It would even be possible to become a “walking TV.” The pixels could also be made to glow bright white, allowing the wearer to turn any part of his body into a flashlight. Ski masks made of the same material would let wearers change their facial features, fooling most face recognition cameras and certainly fooling the unaided eyes of humans, at least at a distance.
https://www.militantfuturist.com/my-fut ... iteration/
raklian

Post by raklian »

There is an obvious, clear trend.

Everyone is going to be naked. Change my mind. ;)
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Also not a fashion designer, but it often follow lifestyles.

Once the stirrup was invented and made it's way over to Europe in the Middle Ages, men started to wear heels. The shape of the leg caught on and eventually women started to wear heels. Now, horses are not a way off life anymore for most, so that for the most part men don't wear heels anymore except when built into something like cowboy boots.

So what is the technology and cultural trend we are seeing today?

1) Tattoos. Much more socially acceptable than even just a handful of years ago. When I was younger you only had tat's if you were in a gang or some other social degenerate, and if they weren't covered, you basically nixed yourself from any real career. Now... EVERYONE has them and it is celebrated. The problem with them, is that they are more or less permanent (yes, they can be removed, but it's not perfect, it takes time money and pain) so...
E-Ink Textiles. I don't see LEDs and light up scrolling messages being mainstream for awhile considering the amount of power would have to be built in and wearing around. But clothes with E-Ink displays? Totally. Download or create a design, and wear it for the day. Change if tomorrow if you like.

2) 3D Printed Textiles and Body Positivity. Society is changing where a growing number of body types is more acceptable. In the near future (in America at least) a majority of the population will be overweight, and eventually, obese. Also 3D printing will be more affordable, quicker and widespread so...
We will have custom fitted outfits. Currently we tend to end up with overly baggy clothes, or ones that are too tight in the wrong areas. Near future, they will be perfectly and highlights our best features. Style wise this means a much great variety in styles to accommodate a wildly diverging selection of body types. So I'm picturing fashion will be both more form fitting and more comfortable than today.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

raklian wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:49 pm There is an obvious, clear trend.

Everyone is going to be naked. Change my mind. ;)
I tried being a nudist alone in my own home - I did not like the feeling of most furniture on my bare butt at all and started wearing underwear again. Everything you sit on gets all rumpled under you and makes your skin sweaty, it's just unpleasant.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

I am not majorly into fashion but i hope in the 2030s you get self-zipping zips on coats so they don't get stuck. Something like this: - https://www.engineering.com/story/mits- ... ng-zippers
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
citali_

Post by citali_ »

Eccentric fashion, and hairstyles
Indie singer/songwriter
https://youtu.be/Q_NhbSsz9ko