End of Professional Sports

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
Xyls

End of Professional Sports

Post by Xyls »

Was watching an interesting video by Sabine Hossenfelder regarding the science behind trans athletes:

I noticed near the end (starting at 13:54) she made some interesting comments where she suspects by the end of the century professional sports will likely not be a thing anymore. She says that with genetic engineering becoming reality there will be too many ways to manipulate ones genetics for profit motive that it likely will no longer be tenable as an industry.

What do you all think of this? Would genetic engineering become a more unfair version of doping. Will people care about physical performance as much in the future if with genetic engineering people can gain the same types of performance through genetic editing?
Yuli Ban

Re: End of Professional Sports

Post by Yuli Ban »

I've thought about this as well. Right now we OUGHT to be post-professional sports because of the sheer range of performance-enhancing drugs— or at the very least there ought to be two separate categories for sports: one for all-natural athletes and one for enhanced athletes. This hasn't happened as everyone would much rather all-natural athletes be pushed to their natural limits.
But this is intrinsic to the fact that performance-enhancing drugs are something you actively choose to take and have a limited effect. Something like genetic modification is a far different beast, and there are clear paths for there to be vast differences in terms of physicality for genetically modified people.
Just imagine a time when numerous athletically-bound people are given gene mods to induce myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Lorem Ipsum

Re: End of Professional Sports

Post by Lorem Ipsum »

For now they're safe.