Infinite Growth, is it possible?

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
Tadasuke

Re: Infinite Growth, is it possible?

Post by Tadasuke »

I recommend reading:
- The Rational Optimist by Matt Ridley (2010)
- The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker (2011)
- The Great Escape: Health, Wealth and the Origins of Inequality by Angus Deaton (2013)
- The End of Doom: Environmental Renewal in the Twenty-First Century by Ronald Bailey (2015)
- Progress: Ten Reasons to Look Forward to the Future by Johan Norberg (2017)
- Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About The World - and Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Hans and Anna Rosling (2018)
- It's Better Than It Looks: Reasons for Optimism in an Age of Fear by Gregg Easterbrook (2018)
- Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress by Steven Pinker (2018)
- More from Less: The Surprising Story of How We Learned to Prosper Using Fewer Resources - And What Happens Next by Andrew McAfee (2019)
- The Future Is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives by Peter Diamandis and Steven Kotler (2020)
- Ten Global Trends Every Smart Person Should Know: And Many Others You Will Find Interesting by Ronald Bailey and Marian Tupy (2020)
- ATOM, Second Edition: It Is Time to Upgrade the Economy by Kartik Gada (2020), he also has a YouTube channel
- Superabundance by Marian Tupy and Gale Pooley (2022)
- and I also recommend Singularity is Nearer by Ray Kurzweil (2023)

These books aren't lying and they aren't telling falsehoods. ^_^
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.
peekpok

Re: Infinite Growth, is it possible?

Post by peekpok »

Well I dont know if infinite growth is possible, but it seems pretty clear that if we can reduce the cost of space launch by a few more orders of magnitude, which seems plausible to me, then we're probably set for a few thousand years of continued exponential growth. And this is with fully reusable chemical rocket systems. We still don't have a unified theory of physics, so who knows what propulsion methods might be possible in the future.