Longterm-ism

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
MythOfProgress

Longterm-ism

Post by MythOfProgress »

what happens when people get carried away by the belief that a "few" sacrifices are acceptable for the "greater good"? even more pressing, is the capability of solving our present problems with solutions, but getting caught up in the theoretical applications of technology that we forget to use the practical approach? Sabine explores a little bit behind the mindset of people like this, and notable figures in our time that have expressed this philosophy.
R.I.P Ziba.
funkervogt

Re: Longterm-ism

Post by funkervogt »

Another idea for you to trash.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

MythOfProgress wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:22 am

what happens when people get carried away by the belief that a "few" sacrifices are acceptable for the "greater good"? even more pressing, is the capability of solving our present problems with solutions, but getting caught up in the theoretical applications of technology that we forget to use the practical approach? Sabine explores a little bit behind the mindset of people like this, and notable figures in our time that have expressed this philosophy.
Fascinating. Too much to digest all at once. A lot of information of which I was not aware. I will reserve further comment for later.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

funkervogt wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:29 pm Another idea for you to trash.
What do you mean?

Should it be trashed, or should it be embraced?

Perhaps a little of both?

My initial response regarding long-termism, especially as described by Sabine, is that it should be trashed. Still, as even Sabine explains, it is good to have long term values.

I also thinking the reintroduction of John Rawl's A Theory of Justice is in order. I need to move on with other things in my life for now, but I expect to return, at least to read other comments, perhaps more.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

One entity that Sabine mentioned was The Future of Life Institute. I have actually posted articles and writings originating from that institute in the past. Below is a link to that site. To me, it gives a decidedly different impression than one left by Sabine. Still, understanding who and/or what funds it and for what reasons is desirable. For that, I appreciate Sabine's comments.

https://futureoflife.org/
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

not trash, just deconstruct- as someone who is future-oriented and understands the mindset that comes with longterm-ism i wanted to display the logical consquence of what happens when folks ignore present problems in favor of future ones-effectively delaying on any good that could be done nowadays because of these figures(Elon Musk, Peter Thiel, Nick Bostrom, among others) attempts to outweigh theoretical existential risks(like AI taking over the world or a grey goo scenario occuring for instance,) against credible threats like climate change or nuclear war - sometimes by wrestling with the possibly trillions of life that could exist in the future spread throughout the galaxy(in their perspective) compared to the billions of lives here in the present.

what we do in the present impacts the future- and if we start to ignore our current issues in favor of future, technological solutions it could prove to be a disaster in waiting. that said, not gonna say that some of solutions themselves aren't viable- but if they can't be applicable in a short period of time in our present- adjusting ourselves politically/logistically may be the only option we have.
R.I.P Ziba.
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

MythOfProgress wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:55 pm
not trash, just deconstruct...
As I have cautioned others, it is important in "deconstructing" that one have alternatives in mind. In this case, a more balanced approach between caring about future lives, and expectations of the present generation. A complicating factor is the potential impact on government budgets. Today, thanks also to the return of nationalism there is an inordinate amount of funds that are spent on military research, development, and deployment. One is compelled to ask, toward what end?

The complete and utter destruction of humanity as we know it?

Asking these questions then results in elevating the importance of a John Rawls. That is to say, more stress on good diplomatic relations, and "soft power." Soft power manifesting itself in foreign aid toward achieving a more just world. In turn, this is complicated by legitimate concerns about neo-imperialist adventures, loss of local control, etc.

Another example is the threat of an asteroid strike. What are the risks versus what are the costs of building a planetary defense?

Hidden agendas need to be identified, such as the motivation of a Lockhead or a SpaceX to land government contracts.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
caltrek

Post by caltrek »

Bankman-Fried employed the alleged principles of EA (Enlightened Altruism) to dodge a major problem inherent in all crypto activity: its disastrous impact on climate change. By signing on to the wing of EA known as "longtermism" he was able to claim that mitigating the climate crisis was less important than working to preserve life over a vast time time frame and across seemingly intergalatic distances. Just focus on the space opera fantasies favored by self-styled Silicon Valley visionaries, and presto: The most immediate threat to existing planetary life drops off the list of priorities for charitable giving.
Source: The Nation "Inside Sam Bankman-Fried's crypto scam" January 9/16, 2023, page 24
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill