LGBT rights

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
G1orgiomammarella

LGBT rights

Post by G1orgiomammarella »

What will be the status of LGBT rights in 2050?
caltrek

Re: LGBT rights

Post by caltrek »

G1orgiomammarella wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:34 pm What will be the status of LGBT rights in 2050?
Depends on who wins the "cultural wars."

My suspicion is that it will be a lot like the civil rights struggles for blacks and low-income Latino communities. There will be no conclusive "winner." Progress will have been made (or consolidated), but there will still be either a lot of latent resentment or quite blatant hostility to the winning of LGBT rights. Right now, we are in a period of profound backlash in no small part led by Donald Trump and the MAGA crowd. This is especially virulent in the so-called red states. As with the civil rights struggle, I don't see this as being entirely resolved by 2050.

Mostly, this is due to the difficulty of totally ending prejudice and phobias relevant to the issue of LGBT rights.

Of perhaps less significance is that some aspects of these rights involve genuine and deep contradictions that I don't think can be entirely resolved. I am thinking specifically of the rights of transgendered individuals to participate in women's sports. Where genuine prizes are involved (scholarships or the compensation received in professional sports) it may not be altogether fair to allow participation, nor is it altogether fair to prohibit such competition.

For emphasis, the main problem will be lingering prejudices and phobias.
Last edited by caltrek on Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

caltrek

Post by caltrek »

^^^Beware of misleading extrapolations. Numerically identified rapidly rising accomplishments could easily flatten out. Declining negatives could easily reverse. Mind you, in this case no one would be happier about being proven as being excessively pessimistic than myself.
Don't mourn, organize.

-Joe Hill
lechwall

Post by lechwall »

In the developed world whether someone is LGBT will be the 50th most interesting thing about them