"All Tomorrows" - A story of posthumanity

Discuss the evolution of human culture, economics and politics in the decades and centuries ahead
funkervogt

"All Tomorrows" - A story of posthumanity

Post by funkervogt »

I don't think future events will resemble this, but it's a strangely gripping fantasy tale nonetheless:

I do agree that some humans will evolve into alien forms.
BaobabScion

Re: "All Tomorrows" - A story of posthumanity

Post by BaobabScion »

I'd been watching this again and again over the past few days. What stood out was the time-scale and seeming-stability of the species'. I'm aware that the narrator mentioned that the groups mentioned were just the successful few out of a great failed Many, but given that each of worlds' civilization sprout up and PERPETUATE themselves over the course of tens of millions of years, and given that these human species are at least as intelligent as modern real-world human beings (with some like the Asteromorphs having much greater minds than ours), you'd expect to see more diversity in the "current" era on a single world than I saw throughout the entire video.

Perhaps, the human species in this story have a conservative bent when it comes to their own genetemplate and a free-range attitude with everything else. But for all them to be that conformist, though? I know this is a common failing in Sci-fi work, but good golly, where's the self-expression in these future humans?

On the whole though, this was a wonderfully macabre and unorthodox story. I hope Alt Shift X gives a similar treatment to others like it.
Jakob

Post by Jakob »

I don't think it's too plausible but I read it years ago and it was really interesting
urdestan

Post by urdestan »

I personally liked this. But one thing was that the narrative vaguely reminds me of First and Last Men, which in turn had a similar premise of humanity evolving into something else, albeit written over a century ago. Maybe the original author and illustrator had some inspiration from this old book?
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

urdestan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:43 pm I personally liked this. But one thing was that the narrative vaguely reminds me of First and Last Men, which in turn had a similar premise of humanity evolving into something else, albeit written over a century ago. Maybe the original author and illustrator had some inspiration from this old book?
I read the author's other book, Darkness and the Light, which had a similar premise. He foresaw a future very similar to the one in Idiocracy.
donnaclarkxu88

Post by donnaclarkxu88 »

I like the way he presented the ideas, I wish I could do that too, but not everyone is good at writing. However, I always try to write my essays by myself, even if I am making a lot of mistakes as I use a proofreading service which to be honest wasn't easy to find. But after using the Cambridge Proofreading free coupon I have understood that this is what I am looking for, nobody showed such professionalism and quality.