"We Live In The Future": Post things that give you future shock!

Audio-visual media relating to science, technology and the future
Cyber_Rebel

Re: "We Live In The Future": Post things that give you future shock!

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

An A.I.-Generated Picture Won an Art Prize. Artists Aren’t Happy.
“I won, and I didn’t break any rules,” the artwork’s creator says.
(NYT)

This year, the Colorado State Fair’s annual art competition gave out prizes in all the usual categories: painting, quilting, sculpture.

But one entrant, Jason M. Allen of Pueblo West, Colo., didn’t make his entry with a brush or a lump of clay. He created it with Midjourney, an artificial intelligence program that turns lines of text into hyper-realistic graphics.

Mr. Allen’s work, “Théâtre D’opéra Spatial,” took home the blue ribbon in the fair’s contest for emerging digital artists — making it one of the first A.I.-generated pieces to win such a prize, and setting off a fierce backlash from artists who accused him of, essentially, cheating.

Reached by phone on Wednesday, Mr. Allen defended his work. He said that he had made clear that his work — which was submitted under the name “Jason M. Allen via Midjourney” — was created using A.I., and that he hadn’t deceived anyone about its origins.
-----------

This is one of those things where I feel as if I've been living under a rock and have been caught completely unawares. It was always going to happen, yet it still feels almost unreal to see. The art scene being turned upside down by A.I. changes the narrative and questions what "creativity" and eventually humanity will mean. Can't wait to eventually see A.I. generated movies which could win oscars, or A.I. music being hosted at the Grammys.

Imagine if we enter a new renaissance of art, science, and culture all being driven/generated by A.I.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
BaobabScion

Post by BaobabScion »

raklian

Post by raklian »

BaobabScion wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:47 am
Thank god it's only a piece of art, but somewhere in the world there is an Akihiko Kayaba reading this, light bulb going off in his head. :?
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Miky617

Post by Miky617 »

ChatGPT, and that's all I'm going to say
user28

Post by user28 »

ChatGPT indeed. I can't believe this isn't being spoken about with more energy in this forum!

I've got past the fear and now it's got me so excited I have just switched from lurker to first time poster!

It feels like the world has shifted under our feet, but not many have felt it yet.

It can can take instructions for a program, and then refactor it and update it based on further requests. Junior devs should be thinking ab9it their jobs, and how they intend to chanfe to stay relevant. Senior devs will ise this to save a lot of time.

Need it to look at your code, point out and then explain where the security issues are? It will. Don't fancy writing those unit tests, it will do them for you in a heart beat.

Need an email to send to someone? Give it a sentence on what you need and it will give you 4 paragraphs.

Need a business pitch, some slide content, pretty much anything you can think of as an office worker and it will do it.

Need a database query, some creative writing, a program converting between llsoftware languages, a security fix...

Teachers and students can use this to write and answer tests, homework, corsework, assignments. This would probably write a passable dissertation.

For anyone that points out it isn't perfect, you are right, but its still sped me up 100x.

If Google doesn't come out with an answer to this, they might be a bit less relevant in 2023.

What are you all doing with it?

Interesting times!
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

user28 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:01 pm What are you all doing with it?

Interesting times!
I'm waiting until I get a new laptop this month, but I have a few ideas I want to test on it. Like I want to ask it to try and explain a way to create working respirocytes with available technologies, or to improve existing BCIs based on current research and technology, or list several novel yet useful applications for AR not currently being researched. I don't know if it will provide anything useful, but I'm excited about what results I can get asking about all these interests of mine.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
TrueAnimationFan

Post by TrueAnimationFan »

By the standards of someone from Florida like myself, this was definitely a "we live in the future" moment:

ººº

Post by ººº »

BaobabScion wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:15 pm
It might be not that surprising now in 2023 but imagine reading about this in 2020...