"We Live In The Future": Post things that give you future shock!

Audio-visual media relating to science, technology and the future
Vakanai

Re: "We Live In The Future": Post things that give you future shock!

Post by Vakanai »

Yuli Ban wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:59 am
In a truly dystopian turn of events, some recipients of bionic eye technology are going blind after their implants become obsolete and the company behind it stopped supporting them.

According to an alarming investigation by IEEE Spectrum, Second Sight Medical Products, the manufacturer of visual prosthetic devices that restored partial vision to blind patients, has provided eye implants to more than 350 blind people.

However, the investigation found, the company stopped supporting its technology a few years ago after coming close to bankruptcy — and left its patients to fend for themselves.

“It is fantastic technology and a lousy company,” Ross Doerr, a Second Sight patient, told the magazine.
There should be laws against that. Also stands as a very, very strong case why prosthetics should as much as possible compute on the edge rather than the cloud, although I realize the limitations of that.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Wow!
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Post by raklian »

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:38 am

Wow!
Who fu*king needs to travel when you can do it from your own couch in a dingy apartment. 8-)
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Wow!
You've got a VR headset - can you use google maps on it? Might be a fun way to look at the world for an hour.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Vakanai wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:30 pm

Wow!
You've got a VR headset - can you use google maps on it? Might be a fun way to look at the world for an hour.
Installing as we speak. I'll get back to you about how Google Earth VR feels.

Edit: Yep, it was pretty fun. Leaves a good bit to be desired, but it's still the early days of it all.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Yuli Ban wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:17 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:30 pm

Wow!
Installing as we speak. I'll get back to you about how Google Earth VR feels.

Edit: Yep, it was pretty fun. Leaves a good bit to be desired, but it's still the early days of it all.
I know that this is the thread for the future we're already living in, but in the future that we don't live in yet, I imagine that we'll have combination AR/VR devices, whether contacts or implants, where it's AR when you have your eyes open and VR when you have your eyes closed. And we'll control these devices with the help of BCIs. So you could use some future version of something like this to view the world, go down to the city level, explore it a bit, order plane tickets, make restaurant reservations, and look up museum hours or show times while visiting those places in VR. And you can even drop in on that country's VR scene from there to start mingling with the locals or make plans with the people you'll soon meet irl. You could even order the robo-taxi service to pick you up on arrival before logging off the app.

I know that this won't happen soon, and I know that it'll come with battles in privacy, and especially if it's a Google service, ads. But it's still fascinating, and it's kind of interesting to think we're sort of seeing the beginnings of that even with today's GPS/map apps and modern VR. Of course there's people who argue that if VR ever gets that good travel will be meaningless and everyone will just exist in some perfect simulation videogame metaverse multiverse 24/7, but that idea always rubs me wrong. I hope that seeing the world in VR will still inspire people to go places.
Vakanai

Post by Vakanai »

Tiny walking remote control crab...smaller than a flea...standing on the edge of a penny.
https://techxplore.com/news/2022-05-tin ... olled.html
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »