General Science/Technology/Futurist Videos Thread

Audio-visual media relating to science, technology and the future
Yuli Ban

Re: General Science/Technology/Futurist Videos Thread

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Ozzie guy

Post by Ozzie guy »

Yuli Ban wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:14 am
Speaking of which the other day I read a comment regarding Microsoft new Megatron AI saying "Very nice. Jump from 175B to 530B parameters, comparing with animals brain net sizes

We've just made leap from Mole rat size net(GPT-3) to Octopus size net (~500B)

1/91 size of human cerebral cortex(16T) in 2020 with GPT-3 to

1/30 size of human cerebral cortex - 2021"
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

My thoughts throughout it all is that the humanoid form factor sounds like hype, a good way to look futuristic. And the humanoid form, among a couple others, is very generalizable. For specific purposes, I've been convinced by other robot videos that more special purposed designs are better; that seems obvious. But there's always those cracks through which life's ephermal experiences slip. Things like an object falling off a conveyor belt and rolling under a certain ridge. No robot can adjust for that. But with the right AI, potentially a humanoid one can.

Thing is, it would require generalized AI, and while we are exploring more generalizable AI right now, the question remains why Tesla thinks it's advanced enough to invest heavily in a humanoid robot design. It's generalized more in the realms of language modeling, not visual modeling. Maybe they know something we don't? But I don't expect anything impressive from the Teslabot, at least not any time soon.
And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
raklian

Post by raklian »

To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

"A cross-section of a 3D simulation replicating a scenario for the impact that formed the Moon, showing a roughly Mars-mass impactor grazing an Earth-like target at a 45-degree angle. The simulation uses over 100 million particles, colored by their internal energy, related to their temperature."

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Absolutely bonkers to imagine a neo-Neolithic people still persisting in modern times
wjfox
Site Admin

Post by wjfox »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »