The Isaac Arthur Thread

Audio-visual media relating to science, technology and the future
raklian

Re: The Isaac Arthur Thread

Post by raklian »

funkervogt wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:16 pm
raklian wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:09 pm
funkervogt wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:50 pm You'll be dematerialized until you're a brain floating in a jar.
And not too long after, we won't even need a brain after some major discovery that undoubtedly proves consciousness is fundamental to all matter, not just the brain.
Maybe. For sure, there's no law of physics blocking us from stripping ourselves down to brains only.
You are probably right. All organs other than the brain are just systems that supply nutrients to the brain. It's not too much of a stretch to create something artificial that essentially does the same thing. It's not too dissimilar to the experiment in which they grew a lamb fetus in an artificial womb (although it didn't survive at the end).
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

You know, I've been hearing about metamaterials since around 2006, and it wasn't until this video that I understood what they are supposed to be.
TrueAnimationFan

Post by TrueAnimationFan »

The previous convo makes me wonder...between transhumans, digital minds, and disembodied brains, what if we see an "Anthropocene Explosion" of sorts take place across the galaxy to the point where by the year million, there are so many different sapient descendants of humanity that an alien passing by would simply assume that everyone here somehow developed intelligence at around the same time and then formed a galactic government, a la Star Trek?
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Nothing based on technology is inevitable. But if we keep progressing, something like the Singularity will come.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »