The Isaac Arthur Thread

Audio-visual media relating to science, technology and the future
Yuli Ban

The Isaac Arthur Thread

Post by Yuli Ban »

Here's a thread dedicated to Isaac Arthur and his sci-fi/sci-tech video series

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Re: The Isaac Arthur Thread

Post by Yuli Ban »

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

And here's the video that actually got me interested in making this thread:

I've discussed before my own thoughts about how to industrialize the moon. In short: we ought to let robots do it and leave human presence on the moon minimal.
Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

Yuli Ban

Post by Yuli Ban »

I've been thinking about this more and more in recent days, about how simulations offer a form of post-scarcity. In fact, probably the only true post-scarcity possible in the physical universe.
raklian

Post by raklian »

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:03 am
I've been thinking about this more and more in recent days, about how simulations offer a form of post-scarcity. In fact, probably the only true post-scarcity possible in the physical universe.
Absolutely, especially in light of the fact most of us will probably spend most of our waking moments being plugged in. If we need to interact with the original reality, we'll probably do it via true telepresence of some form, to the point we can't distinguish between the sensation of being inside a robot body and our natural one.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

You'll be dematerialized until you're a brain floating in a jar.
raklian

Post by raklian »

funkervogt wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:50 pm You'll be dematerialized until you're a brain floating in a jar.
And not too long after, we won't even need a brain after some major discovery that undoubtedly proves consciousness is fundamental to all matter, not just the brain.
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
funkervogt

Post by funkervogt »

raklian wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:09 pm
funkervogt wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:50 pm You'll be dematerialized until you're a brain floating in a jar.
And not too long after, we won't even need a brain after some major discovery that undoubtedly proves consciousness is fundamental to all matter, not just the brain.
Maybe. For sure, there's no law of physics blocking us from stripping ourselves down to brains only.