Youtube Channel recommendations

Audio-visual media relating to science, technology and the future
OneTimeDealer

Youtube Channel recommendations

Post by OneTimeDealer »

Hi,

I'm always on the lookout for new youtube channels to subscribe to. Anyone have any suggestions?

Here are some of the ones i have already..

Everday Astronaut
Angry Astronaut
Numberfile
Computerfile
Sixty symbols
Smarter every day
Machine learning street talk
Deepmind
Vsauce
Cool Worlds
Scott Manley
Veratasium
What about it
Sabine Hossenfelder
Kurzgesagt
Real engineering

Thanks
BaobabScion

Re: Youtube Channel recommendations

Post by BaobabScion »

Isaac Arthur :

erowind

Post by erowind »

https://www.youtube.com/c/RMCRetro

I've been falling asleep to RMC - The Cave videos lately. Everything retro computing and some retro videogames with a unique focus on British micros for a good portion of the content. This channel is very underrated (less than 150k subs), the production value is really good and the videos are more informative than I've seen from most retro computing channels.

They have a physical interactive museum in the UK for any Brits here that might be interested!

bretbernhoft

Post by bretbernhoft »

I recommend anyone interested in understanding technology to check out Professor Messer's YouTube Channel. There's a lot of both high-level and low-level information on this YouTube channel.
I am a JavaScript Developer, who loves learning; especially when solving challenges as part of making unique applications for Internet users throughout the global Web. I began my journey in technology with WordPress and Web Analytics. More recently I've been working with React, TypeScript, Tailwind CSS, JavaScript, Vite, Node, Git, Netlify, Quickbase and RESTful JSON APIs.
Powers

Post by Powers »

patriciaenochs

Post by patriciaenochs »

I'm also a big fan of this channel. Besides, I recommend Melodysheep channel
Tadasuke

Post by Tadasuke »

I regularly listen to Science & Futurism with Isaac Arthur on Spotify (narration only) and to Human Progress podcast on Spotify. Antidotes to ignorance and insanity. I don't want to be outraged or frightened in my free time on YouTube, because otherwise I don't have any will or energy to do anything. Recently I've been watching some RPGs that came out on Sega Saturn in the 1990s and I've been listening to some Alan Watts recordings.

My advice is to be extremely cautious with what we watch on YouTube (especially when logged in), because YT algorithms are apparently extremely sensitive to everything.

My friend sent me a new teaser trailer to Witch on the Holy Night (known in Japan as Mahōtsukai no Yoru) set in the Nasuverse. Enhanced version of the visual novel recently came out worldwide on December 14th and the animated version is coming out sometime in 2024. I was rather happy and mostly satisfied with it (I know the visual novel), but then for some reason, I scrolled down to the recommended videos in the YouTube smartphone app (even though I usually use Windows version with Unhook add-on or mobile version in an ad-free browser). For some unknown to me reason, the recommendation video list was full of extremely negative videos about multiple topics and nonsense videos about prophecies, end of the world, aliens, etc. Why does it show? Dunno. I haven't watched anything like that, except for three or four videos about the negative side of AI (not about apocalypse, just the more ordinary negative effects). Moreover, I clicked hundreds of times that I'm not interested in such videos, but they still show.

Facebook (so I use F.B.(FluffBusting)Purity add-on), Twitter (so I use Control Panel for Twitter add-on) and DeviantArt (so I use DeviantArt Filter add-on) recommendations are total and complete rubbish for me. The situation with Instagram is much better in my case. Although for some reason, Instagram really wanted me to look at dark-skinned cosplayers, even though I don't even look for real people wearing costumes from fiction. This may be because of the 'social justice' trend in the West, I guess. Fortunately it went away after two or three months. I like looking at cute dogs or cats on Instagram.

30th anniversary of the original ID Software Doom:
Global economy doubles in product every 15-20 years. Computer performance at a constant price doubles nowadays every 4 years on average. Livestock-as-food will globally stop being a thing by ~2050 (precision fermentation and more). Human stupidity, pride and depravity are the biggest problems of our world.