Solarpunk

Audio-visual media relating to science, technology and the future
MythOfProgress

Solarpunk

Post by MythOfProgress »

While i don't really think it's possible given the circumstances of the world we live in nowadays, i think we should look towards a different vision of the future, as opposed to focusing on cyberpunk realities where corporations reign supreme and we extract from environments, solarpunk is more about a future in which we are regenerative in regards to the environment as opposed to extractive. you've probably heard of it or encountered it in some way shape or form, but nonetheless wanted to share it as it's a nice way of looking at things.
R.I.P Ziba.
R8Z

Re: Solarpunk

Post by R8Z »

MythOfProgress wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:41 am While i don't really think it's possible given the circumstances of the world we live in nowadays, i think we should look towards a different vision of the future, as opposed to focusing on cyberpunk realities where corporations reign supreme and we extract from environments, solarpunk is more about a future in which we are regenerative in regards to the environment as opposed to extractive. you've probably heard of it or encountered it in some way shape or form, but nonetheless wanted to share it as it's a nice way of looking at things.
It's very cool and also how I see the future (in the good scenario outcome): less power to corporations and more power to individuals through technology.

In fact I don't actually see a future in which the cyberpunk scenario comes into play; the future to me implies that cities will become less attractive and there will be an exodus of people to places where they have more space and are more integrated with nature, just like your picture shows.
And, as always, bye bye.
Cyber_Rebel

Post by Cyber_Rebel »

It's ABSOLUTELY possible, don't lose hope:

Not sure if OP is the same one as the previous Solarpunk thread on the old forum, but it offered a unique and positive discussion on the future that we are sorely lacking nowadays. Not just the technology, but humanities maturation and adaptation to various topics relating to this new trope were delved into.

Post by Member »

Solarpunk dystopias 🤔
I miss the old smilies

Post by Member »

Member wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:34 am Solarpunk dystopias 🤔
Not counting a "live in the pod and eat the bugs" scenario
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

Cyber_Rebel wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:14 am It's ABSOLUTELY possible, don't lose hope:

already watched the video and personally speaking, it is incredibly dishonest and almost borderline manipulative in how it pretty much turns climate change into being something of a numbers' game, like we don't have to worry about anything else besides keeping things at 2 degrees Celsius(and even then, this is not a good objective, they even depict it themselves in the first few minutes of the video as being a catastrophic future, and then the last few minutes somehow its a utopia?) and just wait for future technologies(that don't even exist) to somehow save us. video has a lot of feeble arguments and cherry-picked data then again, this is the problem with infotainment videos like this, usually done with the objective of trying to "preserve" hope, and while i can understand this- giving people false hope sets them up for failure when they do start to realize the sheer scope of the problem in trying to solve it.

that being said, while solarpunk may not be possible- i do think its an ideal we should keep striving for.
R.I.P Ziba.
TrueAnimationFan

Post by TrueAnimationFan »

...do you seriously not have anything else you want to do here besides complain about optimistic future predictions being absurd?? It's almost starting to feel like trolling at this point. I understand your attitude towards the future and I respect it, as this is one of the darkest times of the 21st century so far. But my god, can you just let people have a reason to feel more confident about the future of their lives??
MythOfProgress

Post by MythOfProgress »

TrueAnimationFan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:50 am ...do you seriously not have anything else you want to do here besides complain about optimistic future predictions being absurd?? It's almost starting to feel like trolling at this point. I understand your attitude towards the future and I respect it, as this is one of the darkest times of the 21st century so far. But my god, can you just let people have a reason to feel more confident about the future of their lives??
lol no, i suffer from a Cassandra complex and im a harbinger of doom, you want confidence- i'll give it to you-just not the kind you want lmao.
i'll let u know if i get tired of this.
R.I.P Ziba.